Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am considering doing this.

Does anyone know if I would be able to play with 88+gr bullets while keeping the base of the bullet out of the case body? Basically will mag length greatly effect seating depth?

Thanks

“Lighten up Francis”
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well you will have 2.310 mag length. So get case length dimensions and the length of the bullet you want to use the most and do some subtraction.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. I had read a couple different numbers for mag length.

“Lighten up Francis”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Grendel's magazine measured that and I was able to reach the lands with a few different bullets. However most bullets did reach into the powder space a bit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm guessing you are shooting a 6.5 Grendel?

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
FWIW, Tromix makes Savage style barrel nuts for the Howa Mini action.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you. I had no clue.

“Lighten up Francis”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m not sure why you want to neck down 6.5 Grendel brass. You’re simply recreating the 22 PPC. Both use the 220 Russian as their parent case. I think at this time Norma among others have 22 PPC brass. I’m sure you could use 6.5 Grendel brass as well. In the end you’ll end up with a 22 PPC or close variant.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Go with either one of the new BDL floor plates from Oregunsmithing or Jefferson Outdoor and you can extend coal to 2.48. The factory mag will limit you to 2.3 something.

Depending on the reamer used that will allow an 88 to stay out of the powder column. Idk who makes AR15performance’s reamer but it’s throated for the 88’s to feed out of ar mag confines.

22grendel, LBC, 224 predator is plenty of enough oomph over the straight ppc and is worth the hassle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 224 Grendel is where it's at...though I enjoy you CLUELESS fhuqktards doing your best. Hint. Congratulations?!?

A few thousand words. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A few thousand more. Re-hint.

'Course I shoot multiple rifles in 243 Grendel too. Pass the 88's in 224,over the 243 and 264 versions of same.

Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Stick -

Those look like the Howa mag. Are those the 88s in there with room to spare? According to math, which sucks, those 88s and the SMKs should fit with a little room to spare. Also, what twist are you shooting and would you use something else? Lastly, what are your thoughts on barrel length? I'm thinking 24-26.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd wager,that it is in fact an OEM Hower mag. You'll NEVER go wrong,by siumply building a Dummy,with the boolit of intent and having the platform throated to same. Hint.

I like 7" RPM,due my atmosphere,others could likely get away with less...but Reserve RPM is your friend. Hint.

I'd not want anything longer than 22" and have multiple 20's which I LOVE. I'll take Handy/Dandy and let others use (2) "clicks" less on an erector at 1000yds+,as that is a GOOD fhuqking trade in my book. It is a modest cartridge,that boasts fhuqking exceptional brass(Lapua). Hornady fhuqking sucks,as do Norma and Starline smokes both. Hint.

KILLER fhuqking cartridge.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve done the 20, 224, 243, and 6.5 on the Howa Mini. Makes a great little package with any one of them. The 22 Grendel is closer to the BR in capacity than the PPC as it’s shoulder is pushed forward.070” over the PPC. Data lies somewhere in between the two. I’ve only shot the 50TSX and 53 Vmax in the 224 and it was at 3500fps for both. Killed one hog in TX at 190yards with the TSX and one 120lb doe at about the same distance. Did a great job with both. I don’t personally need heavies in it for a light walk about rifle and choose PBR and easy holdovers for coyotes n deer.

Great youth rifle too.

Shoot straight, shoot often
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot Hornet,KHorn,Deuce,223,223AI,224 Grendel,22BR,224Wby,22-250,22-250AI,Speedmire and Swift. Hint.

The 88's .545BC is plum handy and it has a pile driving ass,that the TSX can only DREAM about. It really don't care about distance,atmospherics or shot angle...especially in Grendel. I choose a scope that steers boolits and gawking through same,will get an 88 wellllll past the 1000yd line. PBR is a Brew for Bums. Hint.

In this morning's atmosphere,an 88 outta a 21" 223 SALAMI is Supersonic to 1200yds+ and the reticle alone,will easily reach the 1000yd line. Boolits matter far more than headstamps.

Hint......................

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don’t see the need to quote or entertain theoretical b.s. of 600-1000yards with a 6 lb ‘hunting’ rifle. But feel free to carry on (as if that’s even a question).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts & Physics aren't "Theories". Bullets simply matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and Ping Pong Balls do no favors,if only to the chagrin of Window Licking CLUELESS Fhuqks everywhere. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now had the Thread been Titled "Dumbest Fhuqking Bullet Possible In 224 Grendel",you'd be doing exceedingly well...but alas. Nor is there a lineal extrapolation,from a platform's mass,to it's transonic slip distance. Hint.

Say something about glass,PBR and how you correlate POA/POI,if only to add more oblivious humor to the equation. An Illuminatti only has 10 Mils on the etched windshield and another 62 on the erector. Google it all and be sure to TRY again. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some additional info on the utility of dummy rounds:

https://youtu.be/f1DR9g8RUJk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interested to hear how it goes. Bought a couple Grendels recently, PSA build and a Howa Mini on the way. Going to shoot both as is, but the plan was always to see about 22 Grendel once the heat(wife) died down.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My Grendel is extremely accurate and still only 5 1/2lbs bare. I repurposed lightweight Heym barrel blanks from Numrich. Exceptional barrels not considering the $50 I paid for them. Light hunting rifle shooting worthless ping pong balls apparently.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm rather enjoying The Hurt Feelers Report(s) and am VERY "surprised",that glass,mounts and POA/POI correlations are given THE widest of fhuqking berths. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only for conversation,a 50/53gr launcher at 3500fps is called a "223" and pardon my having a "few". Launchers of same at 3700fps+ are called "223 AI's" and I've a "few"...though "only" in 7,7.5,7.7,8,9,10,12 and 14" RPM. Were I forced to speculate,i'd venture that a few boolits have been squirted down them spouts and are easily extrapolated,if only on the same day,in like conditions. Hint.

Just a brief smattering of boolits for same,here. Hint.

Mighta' been a 50/53 used here,but prolly wasn't(75HPBT) in OEM spout punched 223AI. Lighter than 5.5# bare. Hint.

Mighta' been a 50/53 used here,but prolly wasn't(75'Max). Lighter than 5.5# bare,,with the Mike Rock 7" RPM 223AI contour dupe at 21" and reduced shank,to replace the spent OEM spout. Hint.

Scope puked,then the LW's puked(though in fairness,I've only had 8 sets do same,thus far). Hint.

MUCH better. Hint.

Same thing happened here. Hint.

But I shot that barrel out(Brux 8" RPM now and in 270 for 105 HPBT's) and it actually cain't be too far away,from needing it's 3rd. Hint.

Grab another Hurt Feelers Report,fill it out and "tell" me "more",because you really "know" your "stuff" and are "rugged" to boot. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for fhuqking TRYING your best,because that is the ONLY fhuqking reason it's sooooooooo fhuqking hilarious!

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.