Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm confused. If COVID-19 is so deadly, why haven't more Chinese died?
You don’t have a clue how many Chinese have died. Neither do I, nor does anybody else...except the Chinese.
So far, it seems as though COVID-19 is more deadly for the sick/weak elderly and younger people who have underlying health issues.
But there are plenty of completely healthy adults...of all ages...with no underlying health conditions that are being killed by it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Contrary to what NY believes--- the world does NOT revolve around them!!

All major networks are based there, and yes it does...in their minds. crazy

The Dazzling-Urbanite has an inflated sense of importance, and none bigger than in NYC. BUILD THE WALL! laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't think we really know how many Chinese have died but its likely a hell of a lot more than what we're being told.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Salty303
Thing is a lot of the country could easily become like NY within little time if there was no physical distancing requirements.
Agreed. With an R Naught factor of 3.5 to 4, and this pathogen being as deadly as it is.
It’s like 1% deadly, dude.
If you or your wife or your kid goes down hard from it, and dies an awful death from it...like so many have, and will...your tune would change.

I'm confused.

If COVID-19 is so deadly, why haven't more Chinese died?

So far, it seems as though COVID-19 is more deadly for the sick/weak elderly and younger people who have underlying health issues. Maybe this is natures way of saving Medicare from the Boomers and the remaining pre-Boomers.

Every death is a tragedy for the deceased person's family and friends, but just a very small statistic in the holistic view. Sad, but not statistically significant.

You’re right. The numbers don’t lie. 50 and up you’re chances go way up of catching a severe case if it . 60 years old and another big leap in the wrong direction. I don’t think Id be worried about it either at any age . Your chances are still very, very good of survival.

Edit: that pesky BMI number comes into play so they say

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 04/03/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salty303
Thing is a lot of the country could easily become like NY within little time if there was no physical distancing requirements.
Agreed. With an R Naught factor of 3.5 to 4, and this pathogen being as deadly as it is.
It’s like 1% deadly, dude.
If you or your wife or your kid goes down hard from it, and dies an awful death from it...like so many have, and will...your tune would change.

I'm confused.

If COVID-19 is so deadly, why haven't more Chinese died?

So far, it seems as though COVID-19 is more deadly for the sick/weak elderly and younger people who have underlying health issues. Maybe this is natures way of saving Medicare from the Boomers and the remaining pre-Boomers.

Every death is a tragedy for the deceased person's family and friends, but just a very small statistic in the holistic view. Sad, but not statistically significant.

You’re right. The numbers don’t lie. 50 and up you’re chances go way up of catching a severe case if it . 60 years old and another big leap in the wrong direction. I don’t think Id be worried about it either at any age . Your chances are still very, very good of survival.

Edit: that pesky BMI number comes into play so they say

I'm not too worried. We perfected the art of Social Distancing here.

"If COVID-19 is so deadly, why haven't more Chinese died?"

Do you buy into their lies and those of the MSM?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“Published reports from China and Italy suggest that risk factors for severe COVID-19 disease include underlying health conditions (and age 60+ is listed as one of those), ⭐️but data describing underlying health conditions among U.S. COVID-19 patients have not yet been reported.⭐️“

So ‘the numbers’ are from China and Italy.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6913e2.htm

And even if ya’ don’t ‘die’ from it, you can still get major phuuked up from it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by djs
There are over 20,000,000 people in the NYC SMSA.

Total dead will probably be a fraction of 1%, so over 99% of people will survive.

If you look at it from the "half full" perspective, who wouldn't take a chance when the odds were better than 99 to 1?
\\
Or so it seems to me.

Doesn't seem so bad, but let's see:

- 1% of 20,000,000 = 200,000 dead Americans

- 1/2 of 1% (or 0.005) of 20,000,000 = 100,000 dead Americans

- 1/4 of 1% (or 0.0025 ) of 20,000,000 = 50,000 dead Americans

- 1/10 pf 1% (or 0.001) of 20,000,000 = 20,000 dead Americans

Seems like big numbers to me, especially if anyone I know is in them.

2,996 Dead Americans / $6.4Trillion

In case you didn’t recognize the numbers 2,996 died on 9/11 and we spent $6.4 Trillion on wars in the Middle East through 2018.

Disease has always been one of nature's ways of thinning the herd, removing the weak and allowing the strong to survive and reproduce. Man has reduced the number of deaths by disease over the past 150 or so years, but nature is ever evolving and sometimes we get caught flatfooted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

You may want to rethink that, the world does revolve around NY. Like it or not.
I have thought about that and can think of a factor or two where that "revolve around" might be the case, but seems like there is a lot in the world that certainly does not. Would you care to provide evidence that proves your contention in the universal sense?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
“Published reports from China and Italy suggest that risk factors for severe COVID-19 disease include underlying health conditions (and age 60+ is listed as one of those), ⭐️but data describing underlying health conditions among U.S. COVID-19 patients have not yet been reported.⭐️“

So ‘the numbers’ are from China and Italy.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6913e2.htm

And even if ya’ don’t ‘die’ from it, you can still get major phuuked up from it.

Maybe, but nobody really known how many people could test positive and show no signs of being sick. I'm 65, but not particularly weak, sick, or worried about getting sick from it. If it happens, it happens and I'll deal with it when if it happens.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You don’t have a clue how many Chinese have died. Neither do I, nor does anybody else...except the Chinese.
So far, it seems as though COVID-19 is more deadly for the sick/weak elderly and younger people who have underlying health issues.
But there are plenty of completely healthy adults...of all ages...with no underlying health conditions that are being killed by it.

Where are you getting your information about the completely healthy adults of all ages with no underlying health condition that are being killed by it?

The Yale infectious disease experts seem to contradict your allegations.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
It seems a lot of people have decided to let this thing kill them without even catching it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where are you getting your information about the completely healthy adults of all ages with no underlying health condition that are being killed by it?
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
If the case fatality rate for those without any preexisting health conditions is just 0.9%, multiplied by the 240,000 projected deaths in the USA...that’s 2,160 completely healthy adults of all ages with no underlying health conditions...dead. To think that completely healthy people (of all ages) with no underlying health conditions are somehow immune to being killed by this virus is simply not true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe obesity should be added as an underlying condition?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CCCC

I have thought about that and can think of a factor or two where that "revolve around" might be the case, but seems like there is a lot in the world that certainly does not. Would you care to provide evidence that proves your contention in the universal sense?

This would be one factor

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-world-s-top-financial-cities.html

This would be a factor like it or not. I myself tend not to like the UN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headquarters_of_the_United_Nations

It is the Media Capital of the World

https://www.statista.com/chart/3299/new-york-is-the-worlds-media-capital/

Arguably the Cultural Capital of the World

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-cultural-capital-of-e_b_1512261

Again arguably some of the top Universities anywhere.

https://www.topuniversities.com/whe...ed-states/top-universities-new-york-city

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This would be one factor https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-world-s-top-financial-cities.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headquarters_of_the_United_Nations It is the Media Capital of the World
https://www.statista.com/chart/3299/new-york-is-the-worlds-media-capital/ Arguably the Cultural Capital of the World
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-cultural-capital-of-e_b_1512261Again arguably some of the top Universities anywhere.
Your original statement "the world does revolve around NY. Like it or not." was firmly declarative. When asked to prove, you posted "arguable" quotes about "factors" - not proof. Other than the "financial" aspect, none of it comes close to proof. Who knows what you truly understand about "culture" and what it comprises, but "media" is in no way the core of culture. Do you define culture as being entertained? There are some good higher-ed institutions in NYC - NONE of them are the top universities in the US, let alone the world. Dead there.
Proof?? What does "proof" revolve around? Do you still decare what you said about NYC?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dassa
It seems a lot of people have decided to let this thing kill them without even catching it.

My Mormon neighbor ( 70+ VN Vet) has shaved off his beard "getting ready for a ventilator". Bless his heart, he is a good man, a good neighbor, I certainly hope he doesn't get it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
If the case fatality rate for those without any preexisting health conditions is just 0.9%, multiplied by the 240,000 projected deaths in the USA...that’s 2,160 completely healthy adults of all ages with no underlying health conditions...dead. To think that completely healthy people (of all ages) with no underlying health conditions are somehow immune to being killed by this virus is simply not true.

I never intended to infer that healthy people of all ages without any underlying health conditions were immune, just that they appear to be much less likely to die.

I don't know how many times I've typed these words, but while every death is a tragedy for the deceased person's family and friends, it is also statistically insignificant in the holistic view. 2,160 healthy people die unexpectedly from other causes on a regular basis. Automobile accidents kill around 33,000 people annually, many of them without any underlying health issues.

Spread over 365 days, 2,160 deaths divides into an additional 6 deaths per day. Outside of the deceased's circle of family and friends, few will know of his/her passing.

You may find my approach to this thing cold,and unfeeling, but the numbers seem to suggests that over 99% of us are likely to survive this thing. 99 out of 100 seems like damn good odds to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This would be one factor https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-world-s-top-financial-cities.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headquarters_of_the_United_Nations It is the Media Capital of the World
https://www.statista.com/chart/3299/new-york-is-the-worlds-media-capital/ Arguably the Cultural Capital of the World
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-cultural-capital-of-e_b_1512261Again arguably some of the top Universities anywhere.
Your original statement "the world does revolve around NY. Like it or not." was firmly declarative. When asked to prove, you posted "arguable" quotes about "factors" - not proof. Other than the "financial" aspect, none of it comes close to proof. Who knows what you truly understand about "culture" and what it comprises, but "media" is in no way the core of culture. Do you define culture as being entertained? There are some good higher-ed institutions in NYC - NONE of them are the top universities in the US, let alone the world. Dead there.
Proof?? What does "proof" revolve around? Do you still decare what you said about NYC?

I'm not a fan of NYC, but Columbia is a highly ranked university and Princeton is another that is probably inside the NYC SMSA.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
New York City folks ruin everything wherever they go. My wife's family has a farm on Grindstone Island in up state NY and the damn Yankees have ruined the
country atmosphere.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not a fan of NYC, but Columbia is a highly ranked university and Princeton is another that is probably inside the NYC SMSA.
I agree with you - Columbia and Princeton (which is 55 miles from Manhattan) are fairly highly ranked - yes. But, the world of higher education " revolves around" those or others in NYC - not a prayer.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.