-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
Did the same thing with the same result.

Had to really hammer with the kinetic puller to get the bullet out. I wonder if it has anything to do with the neck tightness whether the bullet stays in or dislodges, i know my .300 wsm necks seem really really tight when loading.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a small gooseneck LED light on my bench and every case gets inspected for presence of a proper powder charge prior to seating bullets.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dittos to the Wiz...

I never place a bullet on a case without verifying the powder charge when working on a progressive...same thing with a single stage, .

Considering the potential consequences of a human error, it's good QC and simple common sense.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You should have heard something and more than likely it would have sent the bullet into the lands of the bore. .

Wrong
I have had exactly the same experience as the OP

Yep I’ve had it go both ways depending (presumably) upon neck tension.

I’ve since built in steps to keep it from happening again.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Dittos to the Wiz...

I never place a bullet on a case without verifying the powder charge when working on a progressive...same thing with a single stage, .

Considering the potential consequences of a human error, it's good QC and simple common sense.

While this is extremely good practice in the real world mistakes do happen. Many fewer mistakes happen with a good routine and habits but they still can happen.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Easily corrected with better loading habits.The main one being make sure all your cases are visually inspected to make sure they are charged with powder.

I use two loading blocks. The empty cases are placed mouth down in one block and the full ones are placed upright (of course) in the second block as I go along. Then, once I’m done, I inspect them under good light. An old timer instilled this practice into me about 50 years ago when I was new at the game and I’ve faithfully adhered to it ever since. May sound a bit over anal but I’ve never had a squib situation.

Great minds think alike. Works for me too.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging. I, like most have a set "pattern" that I use when loading and I also never load when Im tired, aggravated or have other things going on that won't allow me to finish what I start.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging.

I do this also, but how would you check when using a progressive press? That is the only way that I have had a powderless pistol bullet and that was a one time only. I do not know why it happened, but do know that the powder hopper did not run dry. I am thankful that it lodged and locked up the cylinder, and did not go far enough to let me fire again. I was shooting in a bowling pin shoot, with earmuffs on, concentrating on speed and accuracy, with another pistol firing nearby, and did not realize that it did fire correctly until I could not shoot again. I would like to know how to keep this from happening with certainty, but have no clue how. I have done some experimenting with weighing finished rounds, but with cast bullets, and light powder, it would be kinda hit and miss, and very time consuming. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by milespatton
Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging.

I do this also, but how would you check when using a progressive press? That is the only way that I have had a powderless pistol bullet and that was a one time only. I do not know why it happened, but do know that the powder hopper did not run dry. I am thankful that it lodged and locked up the cylinder, and did not go far enough to let me fire again. I was shooting in a bowling pin shoot, with earmuffs on, concentrating on speed and accuracy, with another pistol firing nearby, and did not realize that it did fire correctly until I could not shoot again. I would like to know how to keep this from happening with certainty, but have no clue how. I have done some experimenting with weighing finished rounds, but with cast bullets, and light powder, it would be kinda hit and miss, and very time consuming. miles

Just check by looking at the powder charge. If you can't see it, change position so you can. For light loads in deep cases, it helps a lot to use a bulkier powder; this is the main reason I don't like powders like TiteGroup.

I visually verify the powder charge in every round the goes through my presses, whether single stage or progressive.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/08/20.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had squib loads that "stuck" and others that never left the case , just had a black base on the bullet when pulled.I think it all depends on neck tension and crimp. Probably the size of the case too.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not hard to check on a single stage, a little harder on a progressive. On the progressive you need to load with powder that meters easily and won't bridge. It's not the squib that will get you, it's the next one that gets a double charge.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Speaking of no powder.....A little bit off topic, recently had the grandkids shooting balloons with a well worn old Stevens Visible Loader with CCI "Quiet" .22 LR. I was not paying close attention, and I guess one round did not exit the barrel, the next shot the kid got off sounded like a full power .22 LR. Everything held together, nobody hurt, but that's the end of "Quiet"s in my family... they were pretty bad accuracy-wise anyway, going back to subsonic target ammo.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had it happen 2 times. once on 270 and once on 06, no gun powder. just CCI primer. I didn't even hear a bang. just a dud. thought it was lite strike. tried again and nothing. came home, pulled the bullet, no powder.
it happens.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It may depend on the case size.
If the bullet stays put, there is not much sound wave propagation.
Originally Posted by Crotalus
Did the same thing with the same result.

Had to really hammer with the kinetic puller to get the bullet out. I wonder if it has anything to do with the neck tightness whether the bullet stays in or dislodges, i know my .300 wsm necks seem really really tight when loading.

'
If gas escapes around the bullet it might create some vacuum on cooling. Brass shrinks, seals gas inside contracts.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.