Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have often wondered...What would happen if you fired a round with no powder in the brass, only a primer. Well, it’s a first...but after 20 years of loading, now I know.
Pulled the trigger and “nothing”. I ejected the round and assumed the primer didn’t detonate. Bullet was still seated to length in the brass. I pulled the bullet and to my surprise, there was no powder in the case and the bullet was all dirty on the bottom from the timer firing. I never heard anything to indicate the primer detonated.
#humbled

HR IC

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Did you have your hearing aids turned off?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You should have heard something and more than likely it would have sent the bullet into the lands of the bore. I've seen it done before, but thankfully never done it myself. I guess chit can happen though. Fingers crossed...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You should have heard something and more than likely it would have sent the bullet into the lands of the bore. .

Wrong
I have had exactly the same experience as the OP

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
You should have heard something and more than likely it would have sent the bullet into the lands of the bore. .

Wrong

Did it once. What bsa says is what happened in my case.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a .44 special lock up during a bowling pin shoot from this very thing. Lead slug stuck partially in the barrel and partly in the cylinder. Joe Darbyshire had a short piece of dowel and a hammer, and we knocked it back where the cylinder would open, and extracted the round. Nothing hurt. Could have been worse if it had gone far enough to let another good round follow it down the barrel. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Exactly why I visually inspect cases after charging. I charge 10 at a time and do the visual inspection of them as they sit in the loading block before seating bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I loaded the .44 special on a progressive. No chance to inspect. Not sure what happened as I never let the powder run out, in fact I keep topping it off to try and make it meter better, and that is the only time it ever happened to me. miles

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had this happen early this year at the range too. Heard the primer strike with no sound. Assumed a bad primer. Pulled the bullet and there was a sooty, empty case.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Easily corrected with better loading habits.The main one being make sure all your cases are visually inspected to make sure they are charged with powder.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I look in them with a light while they are in loading block after dropping powder in all of em, look in each one as I take it from block to press during seating operation and then shake em before sticking them in the flip top box.

Been lucky so far.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That happened to a friend of mine when antelope hunting. He drew down on the buck, gently squeezed the trigger and nothing. When he racked in a fresh round, the buck trotted off unscathed. Pulled the bullet when he got home and realized there was no powder. Primer did make a sound though. That was quite a lesson he learned, and I took note. Always go over that tray before loading the bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I did it with a TTSX in a 270 and the bullet stuck in the barrel. I couldn't drive it out with a dowel.
Finally packed dry ice around the barrel and was able to drive out the bullet with no harm to the barrel.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Did you have your hearing aids turned off?

If I turn my hearing aids off, then don my hearing muffs, the only way I know that the rifle has discharged is by the recoil.🙄😁

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had it happen twice. Once years ago with 38 Spec, and the lodged bullet locked the cylinder. That's when I added a bright lamp to my reloading table. The second time was using a friends 357 Mag reloads. The 125 gr bullet cleared the cylinder with an anemic pop, but stuck flush in the forcing cone. That one could have been bad if we had been doing rapid fire.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Easily corrected with better loading habits.The main one being make sure all your cases are visually inspected to make sure they are charged with powder.

I use two loading blocks. The empty cases are placed mouth down in one block and the full ones are placed upright (of course) in the second block as I go along. Then, once I’m done, I inspect them under good light. An old timer instilled this practice into me about 50 years ago when I was new at the game and I’ve faithfully adhered to it ever since. May sound a bit over anal but I’ve never had a squib situation.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I use a flashlight to inspect all my cases before seating a bullet.

This ensures that all of the cases have been filled with powder, then stuff like this doesn’t happen - especially when on a coveted hunt. No room for error!

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 04/04/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
I loaded the .44 special on a progressive. No chance to inspect. Not sure what happened as I never let the powder run out, in fact I keep topping it off to try and make it meter better, and that is the only time it ever happened to me. miles

I had something similar happen also. For loading small batches of rifle cartridges it’s very easy to avoid mistakes. Not so much when loading large quantities of handgun ammunition on a progressive press. It’s really unfortunate that progressive presses didn’t have a hole for (1) size, (2) expand, (3) powder, (4) lock out die, (5) seat and (6) crimp. And anything manual index is prone to human error.

Last edited by Hawkeye_Reloader; 04/04/20.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
You should have heard something and more than likely it would have sent the bullet into the lands of the bore.

Not necessarily. Most of what you hear is escaping gasses, and when none escape, there isn't much noise. I've done it myself intentionally, as well as sticking a bullet with very light powder charges (the right way to firelap with a lead bullet is when they barely make it out the muzzle, that means you get some that don't) - sometimes it hardly sounds any different than dry firing.

I do agree that usually it'll push the bullet into the bore, but if the OP's situation involved pretty high neck tension, and/or a large case, it can happen just as he described.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/05/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did this a couple years ago when loading for my wife's 270. Went to the range before deer season and "click". Waited several seconds and she ejected the round, primer was struck with bullet still in place. Shook the cartridge and no sound. Shook next round and no sound. Didn't powder 5 in a row. Apparently I got distracted when I took the funnel off after finishing a row on the loading block. Picked it up and started one row too far. Thankfully it wasn't during season and it was a good experience for her. I learned to keep a flashlight on the bench and everything gets visually inspected before bullet seating.

C
C
Did the same thing with the same result.

Had to really hammer with the kinetic puller to get the bullet out. I wonder if it has anything to do with the neck tightness whether the bullet stays in or dislodges, i know my .300 wsm necks seem really really tight when loading.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a small gooseneck LED light on my bench and every case gets inspected for presence of a proper powder charge prior to seating bullets.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dittos to the Wiz...

I never place a bullet on a case without verifying the powder charge when working on a progressive...same thing with a single stage, .

Considering the potential consequences of a human error, it's good QC and simple common sense.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

Wrong

Yep I’ve had it go both ways depending (presumably) upon neck tension.

I’ve since built in steps to keep it from happening again.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Dittos to the Wiz...

I never place a bullet on a case without verifying the powder charge when working on a progressive...same thing with a single stage, .

Considering the potential consequences of a human error, it's good QC and simple common sense.

While this is extremely good practice in the real world mistakes do happen. Many fewer mistakes happen with a good routine and habits but they still can happen.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Originally Posted by baldhunter

I use two loading blocks. The empty cases are placed mouth down in one block and the full ones are placed upright (of course) in the second block as I go along. Then, once I’m done, I inspect them under good light. An old timer instilled this practice into me about 50 years ago when I was new at the game and I’ve faithfully adhered to it ever since. May sound a bit over anal but I’ve never had a squib situation.

Great minds think alike. Works for me too.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging. I, like most have a set "pattern" that I use when loading and I also never load when Im tired, aggravated or have other things going on that won't allow me to finish what I start.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging.

I do this also, but how would you check when using a progressive press? That is the only way that I have had a powderless pistol bullet and that was a one time only. I do not know why it happened, but do know that the powder hopper did not run dry. I am thankful that it lodged and locked up the cylinder, and did not go far enough to let me fire again. I was shooting in a bowling pin shoot, with earmuffs on, concentrating on speed and accuracy, with another pistol firing nearby, and did not realize that it did fire correctly until I could not shoot again. I would like to know how to keep this from happening with certainty, but have no clue how. I have done some experimenting with weighing finished rounds, but with cast bullets, and light powder, it would be kinda hit and miss, and very time consuming. miles

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by milespatton
Ive been loading for 35 years and have never loaded a bullet without a powder charge! I inspect every cartridge with a light after Im done charging.

I do this also, but how would you check when using a progressive press? That is the only way that I have had a powderless pistol bullet and that was a one time only. I do not know why it happened, but do know that the powder hopper did not run dry. I am thankful that it lodged and locked up the cylinder, and did not go far enough to let me fire again. I was shooting in a bowling pin shoot, with earmuffs on, concentrating on speed and accuracy, with another pistol firing nearby, and did not realize that it did fire correctly until I could not shoot again. I would like to know how to keep this from happening with certainty, but have no clue how. I have done some experimenting with weighing finished rounds, but with cast bullets, and light powder, it would be kinda hit and miss, and very time consuming. miles

Just check by looking at the powder charge. If you can't see it, change position so you can. For light loads in deep cases, it helps a lot to use a bulkier powder; this is the main reason I don't like powders like TiteGroup.

I visually verify the powder charge in every round the goes through my presses, whether single stage or progressive.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/08/20.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had squib loads that "stuck" and others that never left the case , just had a black base on the bullet when pulled.I think it all depends on neck tension and crimp. Probably the size of the case too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not hard to check on a single stage, a little harder on a progressive. On the progressive you need to load with powder that meters easily and won't bridge. It's not the squib that will get you, it's the next one that gets a double charge.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Speaking of no powder.....A little bit off topic, recently had the grandkids shooting balloons with a well worn old Stevens Visible Loader with CCI "Quiet" .22 LR. I was not paying close attention, and I guess one round did not exit the barrel, the next shot the kid got off sounded like a full power .22 LR. Everything held together, nobody hurt, but that's the end of "Quiet"s in my family... they were pretty bad accuracy-wise anyway, going back to subsonic target ammo.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had it happen 2 times. once on 270 and once on 06, no gun powder. just CCI primer. I didn't even hear a bang. just a dud. thought it was lite strike. tried again and nothing. came home, pulled the bullet, no powder.
it happens.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It may depend on the case size.
If the bullet stays put, there is not much sound wave propagation.
Originally Posted by Crotalus
Did the same thing with the same result.

Had to really hammer with the kinetic puller to get the bullet out. I wonder if it has anything to do with the neck tightness whether the bullet stays in or dislodges, i know my .300 wsm necks seem really really tight when loading.

'
If gas escapes around the bullet it might create some vacuum on cooling. Brass shrinks, seals gas inside contracts.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.