Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is one I'd like to know more about from the collectors that know the earlier guns better than I. I have a couple like this in 30-30 but don't recall seeing this rifle in 250-3000, is it a hard to fnd one? Thanks in advance. And btw, good Saturday fellas!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854459240

LOL
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You had me going on that one Roy. I thought you were going to say you had 4-5 of them and wanted to let a couple go. You know how I am with 250's.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm no expert but that looks like a 20s-era F. I have one in 303 which is probably the most common chambering. I'd say finding one in 250 would be on par with finding any 99 of that era in 250. That is, there were likely fewer 250s made of any model in comparison to other calibers. But I don't go out of my way to look for 250s so maybe I can't really say as I'm just an empiricist at heart.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It's in Eugene. For cripe's drive on over there and pick it up. It'll be that much harder for the next guy to find one if the count is down by one more.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of the few 95s I ever came across was at Mazamas back in the 90s. I thought they had gone out of business as the shop they had at the mall was closed the last time I was in town. Looks like Mazamas moved. That 's a lot of lettuce for that 99!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
they have 9 listed

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by texken
they have 9 listed

Saw that. Mazama's always was a bit on the boutique side of the gun biz.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
It's in Eugene. For cripe's drive on over there and pick it up. It'll be that much harder for the next guy to find one if the count is down by one more.

I can't buy em all. Just asking about rarity.

The ink's not even dry on this deal yet! blush crazy

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863590633

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 99F came in a bunch of calibers. I'd be curious of the numbers breakdown too. ??
I paid similar money for the one I have.
The seller has some pretty nice Savage rifles!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That shop is where I bought my 300EG last year, about an hour south of where I live. My rifle was a lot less. Those prices seem high to me, are they? I'm not an expert, by any means, but they seem to be high. The 300EG they have this time is $300 higher than mine was and not as nice shape. People like me need a price guide. grin Looks like someone died and the family is selling them in mass. You know I do get a check in a couple of weeks......

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SS336
That shop is where I bought my 300EG last year, about an hour south of where I live. My rifle was a lot less. Those prices seem high to me, are they? I'm not an expert, by any means, but they seem to be high. The 300EG they have this time is $300 higher than mine was and not as nice shape. People like me need a price guide. grin Looks like someone died and the family is selling them in mass. You know I do get a check in a couple of weeks......

I always found Mazamas (the seller) to always be a bit on the high side and knew there were better deals to be had in the Eugene/Springfield area. But again that was 20-years ago and there may be fewer players in the game these days. I think there used to be a couple shops down in Cottage Grove - the home of Animal House!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG

I always found Mazamas (the seller) to always be a bit on the high side and knew there were better deals to be had in the Eugene/Springfield area. But again that was 20-years ago and there may be fewer players in the game these days. I think there used to be a couple shops down in Cottage Grove - the home of Animal House!

Cottage Grove is where I was borned. Hatched, whatever.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by S99VG

Cottage Grove is where I was borned. Hatched, whatever.

Very cool!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I'm envious of you guys who are still (mistakenly?) free to move about the country. My neck of the woods is rapidly turning into a "hot spot" and I ain't going anywhere- not for anything-- even if we weren't officially in a state of lockdown here. I'm too old and with dodgy health issues to put myself at risk even if the odds are slim, and they're getting less slim by the day.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh Wow! A Model 99F 250/3000--A model and caliber I've had an itch to get. Wish the seller hadn't set the starting bid so high, but I've paid more for other models/calibers of firearms. Dang, now I'm going to be spending the next four hrs salivating yes or no-I like contacting and talking with online sellers about guns on GB before I bid. Maybe I'll call and ask, prefer that vs messaging. Question-the two 99's for sale by same seller, one listed at $1750, the other at $1800, both 250/3000's, are those 1899 Deluxe or 99G models? Is this a good honest reputable seller for those of you who are familiar and/or have done business with him. I'll have to goggle the gun shop and check it out. Tanks much for any feedback.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I'm envious of you guys who are still (mistakenly?) free to move about the country. My neck of the woods is rapidly turning into a "hot spot" and I ain't going anywhere- not for anything-- even if we weren't officially in a state of lockdown here. I'm too old and with dodgy health issues to put myself at risk even if the odds are slim, and they're getting less slim by the day.

Can't say we're much different down here in California.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Checked out the sellers website. Looks like they are a fairly busy and reputable outfit from what I read anyway. Called and talked with the shop manager asked him about the bore. He checked and advised the F 250/3000 had a clean shiny bore with good rifling. Advised overall condition very good except small ding to forearm. Asked about all the 99’s they have listed. The manager advised they all are from an area collector who is downsizing. Advised guy used to operate a gun shop in area and was real meticulous about his guns making sure bores were always oiled and exteriors wiped.

Ref Covid 19 here in Iowa so far there are only 786 confirmed cases 14 deaths. The majority of cases are in around 5-6 countries of the states 99. Big population areas. My county of Floyd up in the North Central area is one of a large group that so far only has a few or none. 3-4 countries including mine as a group have 0-hope it stays that way. Mostly staying home-go to grocery store once a week and make 25-35 mile road trips around home on gravel roads at 20-25 mph looking at rivers and old hunting sites. Did so this morning. Everyone take care.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is one I'd like to know more about from the collectors that know the earlier guns better than I. I have a couple like this in 30-30 but don't recall seeing this rifle in 250-3000, is it a hard to fnd one? Thanks in advance. And btw, good Saturday fellas!

Check the top barrel marking on this vs. the SN and compare it Murray's. I think he read the SN wrong, more like 297xxx and 1927

Last edited by KeithNyst; 04/04/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

See what you mean, I increased the magnification on my desk top screen as much as I could without blurring the SS#, thought it could be either 237xxx or 287xxx. Studied it some and started seeing what you posted 297xxx. Not real sharp detail. Barrel stamping is as you posted also indicating around a 1927 build. Can't see the SAVAGE MODEL 99 in top of the receiver ring worth a hoot. Picture #8 sort of looks like its there, has to be. Nice rifle, wish they had started their 'starting bid' lower. Gun like that I'd rather buy on site vs online, but I've never been strung on GB in the seven years I have bought off of it. Do as much research as possible, phone calls, PM's, and additional questions and photo's. Possibly worth the asking start bid, I've heard them going for more, but a bidding war could jack it up a lot more. I'd be more comfortable paying $300 less, but I could be all wet to as to the value. 99's in my area don't always sell as high as in states where they can be used for large game hunting due to the fact bottle neck cartridges are illegal for deer hunting.

Originally Posted by KeithNyst

Check the top barrel marking on this vs. the SN and compare it Murray's. I think he read the SN wrong, more like 297xxx and 1927

Last edited by Savage94C; 04/04/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage94C

See what you mean, I increased the magnification on my desk top screen as much as I could without blurring the SS#, thought it could be either 237xxx or 287xxx. Studied it some and started seeing what you posted 297xxx. Not real sharp detail. Barrel stamping is as you posted also indicating around a 1927 build. Can't see the SAVAGE MODEL 99 in top of the receiver ring worth a hoot. Picture #8 sort of looks like its there, has to be. Nice rifle, wish they had started their 'starting bid' lower. Gun like that I'd rather buy on site vs online, but I've never been strung on GB in the seven years I have bought off of it. Do as much research as possible, phone calls, PM's, and additional questions and photo's. Possibly worth the asking start bid, I've heard them going for more, but a bidding war could jack it up a lot more. I'd be more comfortable paying $300 less, but I could be all wet to as to the value. 99's in my area don't always sell as high as in states where they can be used for large game hunting due to the fact bottle neck cartridges are illegal for deer hunting.

Originally Posted by KeithNyst

The Style 5 barrel marking puts it in 1926-1927 range; A 287xxx sn would work just fine with that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.