Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Odd that this popped back up to the top. I was just considering using ONLY the .223AI for all all of my deer hunting this year. Yesterday I changed bases on the rifle my 2 youngest use and will be sighting it in, shooting with them later today. I know I won't stick to only the .223AI....I like to use different rifles to much and over a 4 month season hunting 2 to 3 days a week I have trouble with my fidelity to one rifle.

I've had excellent results with the .223AI, 62 TSX/TTSX, and deer. Some of the kills have been with forming loads so in some cases the velocity would have been slightly less than normal .223 loads. Majority have been less than 100 yards and shoulder shots.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife's co-worker/friend ( a "she") has taken something like 22 whitetails in 22 Maine deer seasons with a Savage 340 in 222 Rem with a 4x Weaver and factory loads ( can't tell you the make or bullet weight, but either 50 or 55 grain cup and core bullets). She never lost a deer while using the 222 Rem. She never took more than one shot at a deer. She is very patient. She has passed on taking a shot several times, waiting for the best shot for her. She is not a great shot, but she is both a patient, and disciplined hunter-which is obviously very important for her set up.

She hunts from a free stand on her father's farm. A long shot for her is 50 yards. She aims for the base of the head.

She eventually bought a 308 Winchester. She said she just wanted more power in case she got a moose lottery license, and retired the 222 Rem.

I have a 222 Rem. It is legal in Maine. It wouldn't be my first choice for deer hunting, but if I was hungry and it was all I had- I would use it and be selective with my shot.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Odd that this popped back up to the top. I was just considering using ONLY the .223AI for all all of my deer hunting this year. Yesterday I changed bases on the rifle my 2 youngest use and will be sighting it in, shooting with them later today. I know I won't stick to only the .223AI....I like to use different rifles to much and over a 4 month season hunting 2 to 3 days a week I have trouble with my fidelity to one rifle.

I've had excellent results with the .223AI, 62 TSX/TTSX, and deer. Some of the kills have been with forming loads so in some cases the velocity would have been slightly less than normal .223 loads. Majority have been less than 100 yards and shoulder shots.

Your welcome, I'm hood at digging up.old bones! I actually ran into this thread by researching Stag Hunting in NZ with small centerfire. I bought my first .223 rem with some leftover insurance money from my truck being side-swiped back when I was 16, I'm 31 now. I have had several .223, my most favorite carriage for here in North Missouri. Before that I hunted with a .218bee lever action that was loaned to me from my uncle. I took a doe with it. She was about 50yds. I wouldnt hesitate to use a .22lr at bow range if it where legal.

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lw308
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Your welcome, I'm hood at digging up.old bones! I actually ran into this thread by researching Stag Hunting in NZ with small centerfire. I bought my first .223 rem with some leftover insurance money from my truck being side-swiped back when I was 16, I'm 31 now. I have had several .223, my most favorite carriage for here in North Missouri. Before that I hunted with a .218bee lever action that was loaned to me from my uncle. I took a doe with it. She was about 50yds. I wouldnt hesitate to use a .22lr at bow range if it where legal.

What county are you in up there?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Growing up in East TX, there was an older gent near our camp that also used a Savage 340 in .222 and iron sights. Saw a few older Savage single shots in .22 Hornet ( they also came with a 20ga barrel) being used too. But those deer were small and the "preferred shot" on any hog was burr of the ear. I "worried to death" a yearling with an M1 Carbine and 86grHP ( only ammo Western auto had) I would have given anything for a good 22-250 at that time! POC Universal Carbine at that. I was 15, and as soon as I could put the money together...from then on, I used a 30-30. I was about 17 when I actually knew a guy whose HS son ( younger than me) used a Ruger 77 220 Swift. The next year, I shot a "wad" of 5.56 in an M16A1, ha. When I was sent to Germany instead of the Rice Paddies, we had a terrible time with the wind during any qualification. Penciled in Expert scores all around, ha. Our 8 inch rounds had more "oomph" for Eastern Bloc Commies anyhow.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/04/20.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess my first 5-6 deer were taken with a .22 Hornet using factory 45 grain bullets. Killed a few with a .221 Fireball too. Never lost one. A friend of mine routinely culls with a .222 Rem. If you know what you are doing, it’s not that difficult.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have used various .22s on deer quite extensively over the years, going back to the mid 1990s.

.22 Hornet- The main rifle used was an Anschutz, HB that is extremely accurate with 45 grain Soft Points and the old Solid Base BTs from Nosler. I used a Ruger a few times that belonged to a friend and it perfroemd equally like my Anschutz on game but I have tremendous confidence in the Anschutz's accuracy. This was mainly used for culling does and a few small bucks with CNS shots at the base of the head and neck. I dont remember ever taking body shots, as that was not the intent and used it for what were considered controlled shots to 125 yards +/-. It worked but would pass on shots not considered ideal. The low recoil and blast were great and did not spook deer stands too much. The Hornet really should be used by patient, practiced shooters.

.222 Rem- Of all the the 22 CFs used, this might be my favorite but least used. The main rifle was an older 700 with 26" barrel. It was used similar to the Hornet with 50-55 grain SPs, V-Max, and Bergers. The SPs were used the most and when the CNS was hit, it was lights out. I used it a few times on lung and heart shots with the SPs and it worked very well but they were classic, relaxed broadside shots. I was confident with the 222 to 175 yards max on precision shots. Again, the low blast made it a lot of fun. One day, I want to build a custom 222, probably with a 24 inch barrel, that can accompany me in fixed deer stands or as a truck gun. V-Max were accurate but obviously explosive which were good for CNS hits.

.223 Rem- Most of my experience with 223 and deer were used with ARs. A few accurate bolt guns have been used but I have carried ARs the past 10 years more than anything else, mainly due to the fact I was trying for hogs at the same time. Blast is definitely more intense than the Hornet and 222 BUT since getting a suppressor, it has become my favorite. I started using 55-60 grain SPs then got into the various Barnes bullets thinking I was going to have a more full proof trophy deer setup. I shot a few very nice bucks with 70 gr TSXs but none of the reactions were impressive. To me, it was similar to shooting deer with a pistol; it worked but kind of ho-hum. All bullets exited but there were very little to no blood trails. Most deer ran 30-70 yards after being hit in the lungs, shoulder, or heart. However, my best buck with a 223 was hit at 75 yards, quartering to me in the shoulder then exited the off side ribs going through both lungs. The buck ended up running 200 yards with only a trace of blood spots. I found the buck after looking for 45 mins and walking each trail but it left me scratching my head. Fast forward to this past season. I shot a doe broadside in the heart and got the classic rear leg kick out. After getting out of my stand and loading up the truck, it started raining hard. I looked for 2 hours plus the next day and never could find her. I'm confident I hit her exactly where I wanted, but little to no blood trail is a problem. Since then, I'm trying out lighter TSXs and considering going back to the 60 grain SPs.

22-250 Rem- By far, I have used 22-250s the most out of all the 22 CFs on deer. I started with an A-Bolt with 1:14 twist and BOSS. This rifle took many deer, mainly with good ole yellow and green box, 55 grain Soft Points. These bullets seem to kill much LARGER than they should, if that makes sense. It acted more like a larger cartridge. I used them on everything from CNS hits to heart and lung to shoulder shots. I dont remember ever losing a deer or having to make long recoveries as they typically were within eye sight distance to the hit, if not right there. On one doe, I was with a friend filling tags. We spotted 3 does, 200 yards out in a short stubble field edge. I fired at the largest and thought I had missed. My buddy was looking through binos and was convinced too that I missed but we could only see 2 flags running off in the woods. We drove over to the spot and she was laying there. With the 55 grain SP, she dropped so fast neither of us saw it, and she was hit square through both shoulders WITH an exit. Impressive. I ended up getting tired of the blast from the BOSS, even though it worked as advertised on accuracy, and rebarrelling the rifle with a 26", 9 twist Kreiger. The rifle is very, very accurate but I have hardly used it since. Since then, I have been using an 8 twist, Rem Sporter profile Lilja, on a 700. It shoots Scriroccos well and they perform nicely. However, I have been loading up 70 gr NABs in it and think these might be the best. I like the bonded bullets in the 22-250. They seem to be a good hybrid between SPs and TSXs. The TSXs are great, especially driven very fast. A friend is pushing the 70s through a much faster cartridge than the 22-250 and that appears to be the ticket for them. Out of all the 22CFs, I have used, the 22-250 does put deer down harder than the rest, as it should, since its driving bullets faster. On mature bucks, I'm confident with it to 200 yards.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
22 LR...lets just say I've seen it work many many times...and with a 100% DRT outcome

GOD Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lw308
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've killed quite a few deer and antelope with a .22-250, but they were mostly from my high school and college days and they're on 35mm hard copies....I need to digitize them some day.

Of my recent 22 CF kills, I've put these pictures up here more than a few times, but what's once more?

Here's a Wyoming mule deer killed via vanilla .223 at about 80 yards with the 62 TSX. This instance had a "failed" bullet that didn't open correctly, but I honestly don't know if I hit a branch in front of the deer or if the bullet somehow was at fault.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know we're talking about deer here, so I apologize for throwing an antelope into the foray. Same 62 TSX load as above but at 558 yards. Zero fuss.

Here's a Montana mule deer that that took one shot from my .22 Hi-power at about 20 yards with a .228" Sisk (still a .22 CF right?). Not much of a test at 20 yards, but this buck didn't go anywhere but straight down.

What rifle is that? What power swfa?

Drug up from the bowels of the archives.....I seem to post those same pictures quite oftenlaugh.

That's a Kimber 84M (or are you referring to the Savage1899H?).
6x42 Mil Quad.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.