Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Riley88 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Can the crossbolt safety be reversed for left hand shooters?

Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration
BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I wish, but I have read that it cannot.

Better to throw pearls before swine then pour good coffee into the cups of the indifferent.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just order you one of the safety deletes from Beartooth Mercantile and it’ll eliminate your problem.

https://beartoothmercantile.com/basic-safety-delete-for-marlin-rifle/

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Got the safety delete on my 336....best thing since sliced bread. Easy to change out and once you get rid of that safety you would never go back.

O.B.Wallace
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blueboy
Got the safety delete on my 336....best thing since sliced bread. Easy to change out and once you get rid of that safety you would never go back.

+1!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
in order to reverse it without a custom crossbolt the right side of the receiver would have to be drilled and tapped to hold the spring and ball and set screw

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I have owned both versions of Marlins.. with and without. I prefer the safety. I only use it when loading and unloading but it is cheap insurance against an AD particularly when levering all of the shells out of the magazine.
Once loaded, and hammer on half-cock, I push it off. If you are concerned that it may be accidentally activated, buy a rubber "O" ring that fits in the notch on the safety.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMO I think it is foolish to purposely remove the crossover safety, what purpose can be served with doing so? Don't like it then push it off and leave it on half cock. For a moment think what fun a lawyer would have with you should ,heaven forbid, you have an accident with the crossover safety removed. In a judge's view you did in fact alter the manufacturer 's safety settings.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The cross bolt safety made lever actions safe to unload.Any one who can`t deal with pushing a button probably should not be shooting.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
The cross bolt safety made lever actions safe to unload.Any one who can`t deal with pushing a button probably should not be shooting.

Anyone with half a brain knows how to unload a 336 without cycling the action. SMFH

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Anyone with half a brain knows how to unload a 336 without cycling the action. SMFH

Then they also know it is not safe to do it that way!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Then they also know it is not safe to do it that way!

Why is is unsafe to remove the cartridges from the magazine? Just slip them out of the loading gate. No different than taking them out of a clip type mag.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That's the way I was taught to do it, almost 60 years ago. No such ting as a crossbolt safety on a Marlin back then. Half the deer hunters in NH were carrying levers, and I don't remember hearing about them shooting their hunting buddies when they were unloading.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 04/02/20.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you delete a safety that was on it from the factory, you would be a nice big target for an "ambulance chaser" if you have and accident and hurt somebody.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hammer back is a good look for saddle rifles and those who carry them, it gives one a serious and purposeful air, and a crossbolt takes the worry out of being so fashionable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After unknowingly having the safety on my Marlin 45-70 get bumped on and having it not fire when I was a the range I had my gun smith remove it, did it to two of them. I detest the cross bolt safeties on lever guns. When I look hard at the chances of me injuring some one with that gun from a negligent discharge, I would rather run the risk of a bottom feeding lawyer suing me over that then one of our bears closing fast and having the rifle go click. If it was really a hazard to have a lever gun with out a safety they would all have them. The tang safeties do not seem as easy to bump on to me.

Negligent discharges are the fodder for law suits and hard to defend against. I also have grown weary of so many negligent discharges being referred to as accidents. Nothing is accidental about pressing a trigger, whether you meant to or not. But, incompetence, stupidly, ignorance, lack of training and a lousy mind set are a breeding ground for negligent discharges. A justifiable intentional pressing of the trigger is easier to defend.

I also had the magazine safety on my Browning Hi Power removed long ago after reading what a judge from California who was also a shooter said. He stated he had never seen a law suit because some one removed a magazine safety from a Hi Power or any other semi auto pistol and he removed his magazine safety, same with lever guns, even in California! But, he was aware of several law suits from negligent discharges.

One thing is for sure, it is and individual choice and so far none of my guns have or will go off with out a trigger press and I have been shooting for well over 60 years.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
After unknowingly having the safety on my Marlin 45-70 get bumped on and having it not fire when I was a the range I had my gun smith remove it, did it to two of them. I detest the cross bolt safeties on lever guns. When I look hard at the chances of me injuring some one with that gun from a negligent discharge, I would rather run the risk of a bottom feeding lawyer suing me over that then one of our bears closing fast and having the rifle go click. If it was really a hazard to have a lever gun with out a safety they would all have them. The tang safeties do not seem as easy to bump on to me.

Negligent discharges are the fodder for law suits and hard to defend against. I also have grown weary of so many negligent discharges being referred to as accidents. Nothing is accidental about pressing a trigger, whether you meant to or not. But, incompetence, stupidly, ignorance, lack of training and a lousy mind set are a breeding ground for negligent discharges. A justifiable intentional pressing of the trigger is easier to defend.

I also had the magazine safety on my Browning Hi Power removed long ago after reading what a judge from California who was also a shooter said. He stated he had never seen a law suit because some one removed a magazine safety from a Hi Power or any other semi auto pistol and he removed his magazine safety, same with lever guns, even in California! But, he was aware of several law suits from negligent discharges.

One thing is for sure, it is and individual choice and so far none of my guns have or will go off with out a trigger press and I have been shooting for well over 60 years.

Well said! at 68 I'm part of the generation that grew up before cross bolts on lever guns, 1911's were series 70, ( no pin blocker). We learned how to unload levers safely, and 1911's were carried cocked and locked. There wasn't mass carnage and countless accidental shootings. No safety is a substitute, for proper gun handling. The best safety is the nut behind the bolt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody who can't figure out how to either deal with the safety and not get surprising clicks at inappropriate times or disable it themselves is a complete and utter MORON that shouldn't be allowed to go hunting in the first place.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Well I was watching "NorthWoods Law", game warden show, and this Warden got a permit to shoot a Moose. On the show he was walking and this huge bull Moose was just standing there 75 yards away. The Warden had shown off his Marlin 1895 45/70 he was using. Well he cocked the gun, aimed, and one big 'click' was heard. Repeated the process and same 'click'. He levered in a new round and, again, 'click'. Then he notice that push button safety was ON.

Moose got tired of standing there and walked off. Now if that Moose had CHARGED him...

Hence my 1895 SBL has no safety (but I am looking for one to retro fit just in case..)

I grew up on Marlin Texan 30/30 (killed my first five deer with that gun many many years ago) and currently have a Texan, two Rossi .44s, and my SBL. None have safeties.

And if was going to go back to Alaska, I most surely would NOT have a safety on my lever gun!

Deaf
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I simply tightened the detent screw down until the safety was too tightly held to go back and forth.

If I decide to sell the gun, 5 minutes will have it functioning again and there are no lost parts to find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
369 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.