Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I feel bad for the people with their bucket list Kodiak Bear hunt booked and now cancelled.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is no excuse for shutting down hunting or fishing (excluding the combat zones). Just like during the government shutdown when they shut down national forests, BLM land, etc. The outdoors exist in spite of the government, not because of it.

Keep all the government employees at home and just let people play. Worst thing that's gonna happen is that outlaws are gonna be outlaws and they don't catch them anyway. I don't blame anybody for not wanting to seal bears while this [bleep]'s going around, but I am 99% sure we can figure out a phone/picture/video solution to that. And worst case, if a whole bunch of bears don't get sealed... so what? Like I told the 10th person who called me today about bear hunts shutting down - I'm pretty sure they don't want a whole bunch of Alaskans developing a serious case of cabin fever.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by cwh2
There is no excuse for shutting down hunting or fishing (excluding the combat zones). Just like during the government shutdown when they shut down national forests, BLM land, etc. The outdoors exist in spite of the government, not because of it.

Keep all the government employees at home and just let people play. Worst thing that's gonna happen is that outlaws are gonna be outlaws and they don't catch them anyway. I don't blame anybody for not wanting to seal bears while this [bleep]'s going around, but I am 99% sure we can figure out a phone/picture/video solution to that. And worst case, if a whole bunch of bears don't get sealed... so what? Like I told the 10th person who called me today about bear hunts shutting down - I'm pretty sure they don't want a whole bunch of Alaskans developing a serious case of cabin fever.

Its tuff to argue with that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Spot on. Screw sealing. If they are that concerned just have a drop off area and let them seal without any interaction.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I suppose I have a different take on it. Most bear clients are older. They would die on you before you could get them out once you realized it I suspect. I"m sure I'm wrong though....

I don't want the stuff. Even though I'm younger, I don't want a bad case of the flu or similar. I've had 2 or 3 times in my life the flu. It was at least a week that I don't recall followed by 2 weeks to get up again.

That said what we need and would solve this very likely is an instant type test and I hear they are out there or almost...

I would not want to chance a client flying out remote to meet me and then us both having it. YMMV.

I'm just of the camp no need to take chances when you can live again to fight the next time.

Like one guy says a lifetime hunt canceled. I'd bet not cancelled. More like simply postponed.

What do you do when fires or such other types of natural disasters hit.

And the hunters, well I'm just out on a limb but spending in the ballpark of 25K and being sick the whole hunt... I dunno, I'd pass if I was the hunter.

Again I'm probably wrong in all of this. But it is what it is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
News right now is he meant only to close the NONRESIDENT SPRING BEAR HUNT! EO will be coming out in minutes reversing the closing of the resident hunts. With the lock down on traveling between communities the residents can only hunt close to home or fly directly there.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Kodiak hunt will not be open for any nonresidents, even those hunting with kin... most of the state is open to nonresidents hunting with kin...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can count on any one or any group that makes a living off of Alaska's resources putting all the pressure they can on what ever agency controls their fate. How is any one going to social distance on a guided brown bear or sheep hunt? How are you going to social distance on a guided charter or drift boat. Gonna be ugly and I am sure before it is over the cry will be for the state to bail out some of these special interest groups with Alaskan money. It's a coming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Friends in the business are currently applying for Fed money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is a brutal year for them and I hope they come out swinging in the end...

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Right. Bear hunting and guiding is an essential business that we need to bail out...

Of course, it is rather important to the folks that do it for a living, but in the larger picture, I thnk the nation will survive a year without it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a buddy in Kodiak that is a guide. He guides out of Kodiak city for ocean charters and Old Harbor for hunts. He also owns several vacation rentals. 3 years ago he quit longlining halibut and got into guiding full time. I talk to him last night and the guy is freaking out. He had to talk to me outside so his wife couldnt hear him or she would break down crying again. Hard times...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its great that we are so removed from hard times that were much more common years ago.

BUT its left us unstable, unprepared and mentally weak for these things.

We dealt with storms on the coast every few years, folks there knew for the most part to be ready, to expect being out of work for 6 months or more depending on the storm. Having to rebuild from scratch and so on.

Maybe this 19 thing will make folks pay more attention to being prepared for hard times rather than having all the toys they want and payments out the wazoo.

I do feel for folks, but not being ready for this can spell the disaster that it is. And I'm about tired of MY taxes being used to bail folks out, when they should have been prepared. We prepare and then when the handouts come, they consider us to have to much, make to much etc... hell of a way to repay those that did what they should have done.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Going to be some tough sledding here in our state. I wasn’t here in the mid 80s but I’ve heard nothing that makes me yearn for them (from the economy standpoint). Probably be some good deals on toys coming up ...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Going to be some tough sledding here in our state. I wasn’t here in the mid 80s but I’ve heard nothing that makes me yearn for them (from the economy standpoint). Probably be some good deals on toys coming up ...

There was a joke back then.

What do herpes and a condo in Anchorage have in common?

Ya can’t get rid of either.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by OAM
I have a buddy in Kodiak that is a guide. He guides out of Kodiak city for ocean charters and Old Harbor for hunts. He also owns several vacation rentals. 3 years ago he quit longlining halibut and got into guiding full time. I talk to him last night and the guy is freaking out. He had to talk to me outside so his wife couldnt hear him or she would break down crying again. Hard times...

Yeah, this will have long lasting effects in the guide industry. I am expecting the state to close down sportfishing to non-residents next. I might get July and August in, but we will see. Might be a comm fish summer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read Idaho has just closed all hunting to non-residents now also

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by OAM

Yeah, this will have long lasting effects in the guide industry. I am expecting the state to close down sportfishing to non-residents next. I might get July and August in, but we will see. Might be a comm fish summer.

What about the canneries?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458Win
I read Idaho has just closed all hunting to non-residents now also

This is correct, but only for spring. Nonresidents are still able to purchase big game tags for the fall seasons, as of now. As a nonresident, glad you guys got things figured out. It basically seemed like a miscommunication on ADF&G's part, and I'm glad they clarified to allow you guys to hunt. I'd call their decision one tick mark in the column of sanity.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by OAM

I'm callous, probably, but if he is making a living working 6-8 months of the year, I have a hard time feeling he needs "relief" for a recreational business. Guides are basically pimps. Not that most of them don't produce value for money received. No offense intended.

Wife and I just booked a halibut fishing charter for June 1...... smile

It's a little early, likely, so we are looking at it as basically a boat trip. If it comes off, and the guide is trying, we can't be disappointed.

Meanwhile, I gotta get this remodel out of the way so I can work on my 30hp Everscrewed. I have plans later for the Rubber Ducky out of Deep Creek, weather and waves permitting.

Remember that Farside cartoon - 2 guys in a boat with the mushroom clouds in the background?

Last edited by las; 04/05/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.