Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
....in Caproni Ca-21

http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-mu...-vinci-masterpiece-in-caproni-ca-21.html

The Museum of Flight today announced that the fabric covering of its rare, World War I Italian aircraft, Caproni Ca-21, is actually the original artwork for the so-called “Lost Leonardo” painting, The Battle of Anghiari. Leonardo da Vinci completed the painting in 1505, but its whereabouts have been a mystery ever since. “Needless to say,” remarked The Museum of Flight Senior Curator Matthew Burchette, “this news has rocked the art world! Which is not something we get to say very often at an aerospace museum.”

Routine Inspection Rocks Art World

Like most airplanes of the era, the 1914-vintage Caproni was constructed with a wooden framework covered with fabric. Last year the Museum’s curatorial staff was routinely inspecting the inside of airplane’s fabric and noticed a faint drawing of a man’s head. “The interiors of old airplanes are sometimes covered with graffiti done by mechanics and flight crews,” said Burchette, “it’s an aviation tradition. But it soon became apparent this was clearly a cut above the juvenile art we generally find.”

Using state-of-the-art surgical photographic tools the Museum’s curatorial team meticulously scanned the delicate fabric without having to remove it. Proprietary spectral analysis revealed the artwork in greater detail. The scans and microscopic samples of the fabric were immediately and secretly delivered to several da Vinci experts around the world for verification. Now, months later, there is a consensus that the fabric, drawing and painting media date to years 1500-1505, and the brushstrokes are definitely Leonardo’s. Although the artwork appears to be unfinished, Nick di Scarcello, Chief Conservator at the Leonardo Institute in Florence, Italy, described the discovery as “stunning! The return of il maestro’s prodigal son!”

Another Mystery Solved

The Caproni’s priceless covering might also explain one of the great mysteries about the plane…why it was never flown in service, then shepherded in an ancient building on the Caproni family estate for 80 years until it was donated to The Museum of Flight. “We believe the painting was deliberately saved from the ravages of two world wars in Europe,” says Curator Burchette. “We may never know how or when the Leonardo came into possession of the Caproni family or someone associated with the making of the aircraft, but is logical that by deliberately hiding it in plane sight—pardon the pun—protected the masterpiece from wartime destruction or pillage. And given the fact Leonardo was the first great airplane designer, it only seemed fitting his work would eventually make a great Italian airplane take flight!”

Compare Images

(see link above)

Viewed from inside of the Caproni, three degrees of spectral analysis reveal the painting. Experts believe that restoring the artwork to its original splendor is possible.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wow!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's an incredible story.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Not on April 1, it isn't.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That’s over the top.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple bridges for sale.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazed

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's just plane incredible...... Seriously, ( pardon the pun ).

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That is amazing

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Let me rephrase that to I’m incredulous ie. skeptical. Better?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Let me rephrase that to I’m incredulous ie. skeptical. Better?

Let it slide this time.

But next year, watch your ass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (35, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.