Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does this work or has anyone done it? My understanding is that the CTR receiver is different (?).

As in T3 in CTR stock with Mountain Tactical BM and AICS mags?

Anyhoo.....

GB1

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
223 of course.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It will work, my brother has a t3x in a t3 stock. The receiver is only different in that the ejection port is larger, and the metal bolt shroud.

Only thing you might have to do is relieve ejection port cutout in stock

Not sure if that mountain tactical dbm will work in CTR inlet, or how the AICS 223 mags will feed. I do know grayboe is making a dbm that fits CTR inlet but takes AICS mags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember and have time, I'll try it tonight. One would need to make sure to remove the silver mag catch piece from the T3/T3x prior to putting the action into the CTR stock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Are the T3 actions and CTR actions different?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got my curiosity up and I did a search and came up with a post on a similar thread on the Tikka Shooters Forum. I don't know if this guy knows his head from a hole in the ground; but, this was his response:

"NO....the mag will not seat properly. I've tried this test before with a standard 308 Battue action on my CTR 308 platform...

The slot cut out of the CTR receiver allows the TRG mag to angle slightly more upward at the front allowing the mag to function properly with the proper feed ramp/angle.

You can however assemble a gun with the CTR stock/bottom & standard T3 action,...the mag will even insert and clip into place but it will be slightly angled downward and the rifle will not feed rounds, the ramp angle is changed and it jams when trying to cycle the bolt.

The only way around it is to mill the action or play with altering the mag to change the seating angle.
I myself have not tried to alter the $200 mag...but it may be possible.

I've tried to do exactly what you are asking for my 300wsm....install the standard 300wsm action on the CTR stock and bottom metal...the 308 TRG mag will hold 5rds of 300wsm perfectly with a longer coal, only issue being the feed angle again...it doesn't work. Thats why Tikka milled the slot...its specific to the bottom metal and TRG mag functioning properly,...I think it on purpose to prevent the two actions from being interchangeable on the CTR platform."

Here is a link to the thread: http://www.tikkashooters.com/public_html/general-discussion/t3t3xctr-compatibility/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I saw the same, then said “duh” and emailed Mountain Tactical.

“Yes you absolutely can do that! You would need our CTR AICS Conversion Bottom Metal and make sure to use a 223 AICS magazine.

Thanks,
Lana M”

We’ll see if either knows their butts from a hole in the ground.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've ordered the little silver magazine clip spring thing from Brownell's, the clip that hold the standard mags in place in the T3X. From what I understand you can attach this clip to the CTR action by unscrewing the trigger screw, putting the clip spring on and screw back in the trigger and use a T3X detachable mag instead of the extended CTR mag. I guess we'll see.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A T3 works with a CTR stock without issue; buddies have done it with numerous ones. The silver clip needs to be removed to use the TRG mags. 223 needs AI bottom metal of course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
A T3 works with a CTR stock without issue; buddies have done it with numerous ones. The silver clip needs to be removed to use the TRG mags. 223 needs AI bottom metal of course.

Well stomp me flat and call me slim. I've got an old CTR stock, two sets of bottom metal and 3 TRG mags just sitting dormant. Maybe I'll just drop my 6.5 into it and see what I think.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/17/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I will buy several of the T3 silver magazine clips Formidilosus and JG Raider are mentioning above. Just PM with price and I will send you money thru Paypal/Check/etc.

Thanks, R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This is the magazine clip the I am looking to purchase.

Thx, R

Attached Images
IMG_0622.jpg (11.9 KB, 474 downloads)

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it’s the CV19, but those TRG mags are +/- $250? Good grief.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The TRG mags are high, but the newer CTR models come with a much more reasonably priced CTR specific mag. Seems like I paid $75 or so for the spare I bought

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rhettsker
I will buy several of the T3 silver magazine clips Formidilosus and JG Raider are mentioning above. Just PM with price and I will send you money thru Paypal/Check/etc.

Thanks, R

Rhett, you can get them from Brownell's. They are special order only and take about 6 weeks. Shoot me a PM with your phone # and I'll send you a pic of the part #.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Rhettsker

Thanks, R

Rhett, you can get them from Brownell's. They are special order only and take about 6 weeks. Shoot me a PM with your phone # and I'll send you a pic of the part #.

PM inbound.
Thx, R

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bolt stop is different on the CTR vs. a T3 short action also. The CTR version allows for the bolt to come back a little bit farther than a standard short action so know that you will either have to replace it or modify your current one if you are dropping a non-CTR into a CTR stock to use with those mags. AI mags work fine with either bolt stop.

Short action on top, CTR on bottom.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/18/20.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Faux CTR, so far...

[Linked Image]

Atlasworx DBM and MTD 10 rounders to come. The CTR BM and 6.5CM mag just for show...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hopefully it feeds right.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
Faux CTR, so far...

[Linked Image]

Atlasworx DBM and MTD 10 rounders to come. The CTR BM and 6.5CM mag just for show...

Anymore information on this?

I want to put a T3 6.5 Swede barreled action into a CTR stock. Figured I'd need the Mtn Tactical gen 2 bottom metal with long action magazine. Anyone know if they come in a 3 round?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 51 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.