Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most guns in my safe have dings. From hunting.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm a shooter and a hunter. I don't own/buy/build guns I won't take to the woods.

I stock my own flintlock longrifles. I have countless hours in hand inletting everything, shaping, carving, finishing etc. They hit the bench and woods regularly. One of a kind and unreplaceable...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This one was pretty and it got hunted...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The all get hunted in turn. The only one that won't see rain any more is Dad's old 99. All the customs get hunted, as does the $3000 (used) Dakota76. If you don't use them, why have them?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I carry mine to stand in a soft case so I don’t jack them up. I have plastic rifles for walking around.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. Might as well leave em at home! Lol

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
One of my life mentors who had built himself from nothing was able to have a heirloom rifle built. He carried it to the stand in a soft case and once seated took it out and hunted. The pride he had in that rifle was immense though he still hunted it. All rifles are meant to be hunted. None of them should be abused.
GreggH

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If the weather was really bad I didn’t take my Dakota Last year. If it’s reasonably nice, ie not dumping rain I’ll take it. No sense babying it but a little common sense probably doesn’t hurt.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Just interested how many have a gun thats too pretty to hunt? Myself I hunt all my guns and try to blood 2 each season if I can. I own some pretty ones but they fill the bag just fine.
........................Imo, before I would classify a rifle "too pretty to hunt with" it would depend on what stock protection process is used to treat the wood during the manufacturing process....Have a shooting bud who has owned a Winchester M70 super grade (tiger striped) maple that I have fired. Absolutely beautiful. He has gone on many hunts with it in all kinds of inclement weather and not one scratch, ding or dent on the stock...He does not baby this rifle.

In doing a little research, apparently the super grade maple stocks Winchester uses are thermally heat treated which makes the wood very hard and/ or very dense making the stocks far less resistant to surface scratches dings and dents. Does not mean that you can take this type of rifle and subject it to abuse such as swinging it like a baseball bat against bushes and trees. You will get some deep dings, dents and scratches.

But as he has told me. When waddling through the bush and brushing the rifle up against the brush etc, doing so does not affect the maple stock. And when he sets the rifle down on rocks, he does so reasonably gently without necessarily babying it.

Imo, the #1 grade satin and/or oil treated stocks like on the M70 sporters or the Browning X bolt hunters might be more susceptible to dings dents and scratching.

If I owned a M70 super grade maple, I would not hesitate taking it anywhere.......That thing is beautiful and a hunter.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a had a few that I did not really want to hunt with and bang around. Solved that by getting a beater stock. One was a pre 63 300H&H that had one box run through it. Found a cut down cheap stock. put a Limbsaver (much nicer than the steel butt plate) Used it for a couple of years that way. The pristine original stock stayed in the safe.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I hunt with Shiloh Sharps rifles and they are all gorgeous

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pacecars
I hunt with Shiloh Sharps rifles and they are all gorgeous

I had one of those in their light Jaeger model in .38-55 and hunted it till I damn near wore off all the case color.....neat little rifle!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have some rifles with beautiful wood.. My old .300 is one of them.. About 10 years ago it was in pretty rough shape, it had been to Alaska to South Carolina, to Texas, and the Yukon.. Also 2 trips to S. A. I sent it to a friend and he took out the dents old finish and put an oil finish on it and it looks new .. Beautiful.. It is on its third barrel and hundreds of head of game under its belt.. A plastic rifle will always look like a plastic rifle.. I won't own one..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by hanco
I carry mine to stand in a soft case so I don’t jack them up. I have plastic rifles for walking around.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. Might as well leave em at home! Lol

Not dumb, I have also done this when I owned nice looking wood/blue rifles 👍......I take exceptional care of all my rifles (including my stainless/synthetic models) ....Too expensive (for Me) to abuse......Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nope. No safe queens. I fret more over scratching up a scope than wood or metal on a rifle or shotgun. Should probably get some flipup caps. But I don't like extraneous things that might get hung up on stuff.
Shiniest thing I got is a Wingmaster, and it's been in a duck blind a few times.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I took possession of my first and only, semi-custom rifle , in spring of 1990. The cost was a bit above my “means” at the time, and was built for use, a utility rifle .....but, it was beautiful to me! On my first outing with it, 10 minutes into my hike, with a pack frame loaded with “bear bait”, while crossing a 1/4 mile wide willow flat being heavily worked by beavers.....I caught my foot under a “beaver-cut” willow limb. I did a face-plant, rifle down first , into 6 or 8 inches of mud and water. The dismay was great,but, temporary. It was a “utilitarian” hunting rifle, and had been “officially “ broken in! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Just interested how many have a gun thats too pretty to hunt? Myself I hunt all my guns and try to blood 2 each season if I can. I own some pretty ones but they fill the bag just fine.

I have never seen one.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty fn accurate... That's how most of mine are... grin wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s like saying you have a girlfriend who’s too pretty to screw.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by doubletap
It’s like saying you have a girlfriend who’s too pretty to screw.

Truth.

I never had that happen...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.