Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
I work in a gunshop that specializes (like most these days) in plastic pistols and black rifles. It has a "cool" tactical sounding name, too. I'm 60 years old and miss the "good ole days" when people bought guns when they were fun. I know the need for the 2nd Amendment and its defense but so many getting into guns nowadays only see it as a defensive tool for dire situations. They don't appreciate walnut, bluing, a nice over-under or a good target .22. It's depressing. They actually think that cheap plastic stocks and cerakote are "better". Two years ago when I bought a Remington Model 7 with a laminated stock, I was asked why I didn't get a Ruger American. It goes on, and on... Rant over.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/04/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Understood, but have a drink, relax and enjoy what you own. Interests change, and sometimes, grow. Guys buying plastic stuff today may buy wood/blue tomorrow.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember that Mossberg pump that had a chainsaw handle on it...? Or the semi-auto pistol that had a knife mounted on it...?

lol

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by antlers
Remember that Mossberg pump that had a chainsaw handle on it...?

lol
They just came out with a Shockwave version of it. The sad thing is that it's popular... frown

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remember that Mossberg pump that had a chainsaw handle on it...? Or the semi-auto pistol that had a knife mounted on it...?

lol

I remember sthose Mossbergs and also eeing a mount for a Glock rail with a small bayonet on it at a Gunshow several years ago. I LMAO.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/04/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe people don't want to damage the nice looking blue/wood guns so they don't buy them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with Ruger American Rifles though.
For a cheap rifle they flat out shoot very accurately.
My Predator in 6.5 CM and RAR in 7.62x39 that uses Mini-30 magazines are super accurate and make great 4-wheel guns.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe young doods like the bad girl instead of the well-mannered one you take home to Mom.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards. The bargain racks at most gun shops and virtually all pawnshops are filled to overflowing with the high quality wood and blue steel rifles I couldn't afford to buy when they were new! I walked out of a pawn shop just east of Memphis with a scoped, sporterized US 1917 chambered in 300 H&H Magnum with a vintage Reinhardt Fajen stock (NOT the junk they produced after Potterfield bought the company) for less than $300.00 awhile back! That's one of several bargain rack custom guns I've acquired for chump change!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I work in a gunshop that specializes (like most these days) in plastic pistols and black rifles. It has a "cool" tactical sounding name, too. I'm 60 years old and miss the "good ole days" when people bought guns when they were fun. I know the need for the 2nd Amendment and its defense but so many getting into guns nowadays only see it as a defensive tool for dire situations. They don't appreciate walnut, bluing, a nice over-under or a good target .22. It's depressing. They actually think that cheap plastic stocks and cerakote are "better". Two years ago when I bought a Remington Model 7 with a laminated stock, I was asked why I didn't get a Ruger American. It goes on, and on... Rant over.
Personally, I like both. I love my Dad, may he RIP, but many of his generation certainly didn't "get" the need for black guns and would tell you so gladly. They also in many if not most cases, had no problem at all with the .gov banning them...IMO simply because they personally didn't like their looks. Vietnam and the distrust of the government was partially the cause of that changing and the guns themselves changed the attitudes of younger dudes too. Now probably, a Mini 14 with the classic hardwood stock of ye olden time periods would be seen by many of them as a "Boomer's gun". Maybe the next firearms will be Phase Plasma Rifle in 40 Watt range. I dunno. I do know that more folks are much more aware of their gun rights and generally into guns, than they were when I was a kid.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll tell you what too...a Garand would be better than a lot of guns in a bad situation, but if the SHTF I'd rather have a bare-bones AR than ANY 2x4 handling Garand, six days a week and twice on Sunday.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Good rant.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 1979 at the Walmart in Norman, Oklahoma they had Ruger Mini-14’s on sale for $188.00; I bought three of em’. Back then they had the wooden hand guards on em’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Ethan, you misunderstand. I own my share of Glocks and ARs and understand the need for them. It's just that so many don't consider guns as an enjoyable hobby. It's all "life or death" to them. Almost none hunt. They get their ARs and do mag dumps at 15yds and think they're "cool". When I talk about shooting high power at 600yds, they aren't interested and act like I'm speaking a foreign language. It's just frustrating.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In 1979 at the Walmart in Norman, Oklahoma they had Ruger Mini-14’s on sale for $188.00; I bought three of em’. Back then they had the wooden hand guards on em’.
Walmart has been in and out of the gun business so many times it's hard to keep up with what they've had or haven't had. Honestly, I was still in high school then and seldom went to Walmart as our county was about a decade off of having one. They had one in the next county though, but I seldom went there. I bought my first Mini from a semi-local gunstore probably two or three years after that. It was stainless with a wooden stock and still had the wooden handguards such as you describe. Beautiful gun. Not too long after you buying yours and IIRC the price was a hundred dollars higher than that, at least. Of course it was stainless though and those had very recently hit the shelves.

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'll tell you what too...a Garand would be better than a lot of guns in a bad situation, but if the SHTF I'd rather have a bare-bones AR than ANY 2x4 handling Garand, six days a week and twice on Sunday.

I own both. One for the history and one for the utility. The thing is, they don't know what a Garand is capable of, and don't care. You can't shoot it in a tactical crouch with your left hand up near the muzzle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards. The bargain racks at most gun shops and virtually all pawnshops are filled to overflowing with the high quality wood and blue steel rifles I couldn't afford to buy when they were new! I walked out of a pawn shop just east of Memphis with a scoped, sporterized US 1917 chambered in 300 H&H Magnum with a vintage Reinhardt Fajen stock (NOT the junk they produced after Potterfield bought the company) for less than $300.00 awhile back! That's one of several bargain rack custom guns I've acquired for chump change!
Jerry

Man everytime I see a cool classic gun advertised for trade the only thing the seller is looking for is tactical guns. A lot of guys dont want cash right now they want an AR or a Glock. If I had some tactical stuff right now I could trade into some really great classic deer rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Remington 870 Police for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just sold my last AR a few weeks ago. I can't stand them. Give me a lever action 357 for self defense and I'm fine. I don't plan on dying in a firefight.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards.
Jerry

I own numerous guns of the Tupperware variety and none of them would match that description, even my Mini-14 will do better than that. The modern Tupperware guns being produced currently are some of the most accurate factory guns ever produced. And I also have several of the wood and steel variety.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.