Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

I know this is one of those endless debates, but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house?

Appreciate all input.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If there were kids, probably, but since they are none, both my Glock with the light / laser combo and 1911 have one in the pipe and the 1911 is cocked and locked.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/04/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1911 types - condition 2 ( hammer down on loaded chamber).

Hammer down means safe - very intuitive.

That's how Browning intended the 1902 and 1905 to be carried; Tokarev same.

I believe the old U.S. Army manual specified that the thumb safety was to be used in lieu of decocking while mounted on horse, etc.

Last edited by night_owl; 04/04/20.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm "using" a gun, it's loaded.
Any gun I might carry/grab for self defense is being used.

The 1911 is just a range toy for me.
It's in the box, maybe someday I will trust me to use it that way.
The Glocks and revolvers are just old habits.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I know this is one of those endless debates, but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house?

Appreciate all input.
Cocked and locked. That's the only way a professional rolls.

When my kids got mobile, I quit using the Smith and Wesson 686 4" that resided loaded on my nightstand, normally with a speedloader or two, and which is THE best nightstand gun ever. I went to an auto with nothing in the chamber, but a loaded mag. When they got big enough to rack the slide, I went to keeping it completely unloaded and inaccessible to them, taking the chance that it was much less accessible to me. I relied on training them rather than keeping it completely inaccessible in the Safe. I also relied on severely limiting having their friends over and when they did, the gun was kept inaccessible. Now one is nineteen and the other is fifteen and both are trained and trustworthy and have their own firearms. I won't recommend my way to anybody else. It is all dependent on you and your kids. I'm just relating what I did.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Any gun that I’m not carrying or “using” is unloaded and locked in the safe. For a gun that I am carrying or on the night stand:

Single Action: Cocked and locked

Striker Fired: Loaded

DA/SA: Loaded, decocked

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d like to know how Cooper’s conditions of readiness translate to striker fired weapons before responding.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C1 or C3 are the only two that makes sense. Never manually manipulate the hammer. My carry 1911 is C1 and stays that way in a lock box at night. The less you have to mess with loading and unloading the less chance you have of:
a) an ND due to carelessness
b) inadvertently carrying an ‘unloaded gun

C3 makes sense if you are taking about something like leaving a gun in a safe for quick but not immediate access. Don’t rely on it to deter a motivated child. IMO, there is no real place for C2 with a 1911.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Condition 1..loaded ready to go regardless of the type of action.

Just picked up a new Colt Competition in .38 Super Friday. Had not read a Colt Manual for a long time so I read the manual that came with the gun... Colt says the gun should only be carried in two conditions...1) Hammer down on an EMPTY chamber or 2) hammer cocked with the SLIDE LOCK SAFETY ENGAGED (manual safety)

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There is always one in the chamber of defense guns.

Single Action: Cocked and locked

Striker Fired: Loaded

DA/SA: Loaded, decocked

Shotgun/Rifle; loaded safety on.

When the granddaughter is coming (not near often enough), things get changed around and moved.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's only 1 way to carry a 1911, cocked and locked, been carrying a 1911 for over 60 years, C&L is the only way to go. Rio7

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
SA, cocked and locked.
Striker, fully loaded, means one in the pipe.
DA/SA, fully loaded.
SA revolver, all chambers full.
DA/SA revolver, all chambers full.

Nightstand guns are 7.62 REPR/20 round PMags, and AR-15 with 120 round drum, a handgun is there, but would hand it to Wife as she rolls under the bed with cell call to POPO.

Were any house midgets to show up, all interior doors can also be locked from the inside/outside.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way I see it, having my 1911 in condition 3 saved two guys sacking my son's room 9/23/13 from getting shot. Hearing that slide being racked hopefully scared them straight as they made a mad dash out the front door. My first and only home invasion that made quite a memory.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My granddaughter just asked to borrow a handgun from me. She has a 7 year old son. She knows I have a couple to spare. I said she could have one on the condition that she purchase a handgun safe . They are cheap, start around a hundred bucks. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cocked and locked, and the mag topped off for my 1911.

One in the pipe, and the mag topped off with my Glock 19

And 6 rounds in my Cold detective Special. (grin!)

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Condition 1 for EDC. For me that's a G19. Why? Because a striker-fired gun w/o a safety eliminates another variable--another opportunity for me to do something wrong. (Not that I'd be anything less than AWESOME in a gunfight, but...you know...just in case... smile ) Although, not trying to sound prideful, I did carry (and practice with) a 1911 for several years, and drawing and hitting the safety comes pretty natural to me, but again, why give yourself one more chance to blunder...

Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house

My kids are not really "kids" anymore. Look at my profile pic--that was a fairly current pic when I posted it, and the younger of those two will be 20 in July! (I've been here way too long!) But...for kids in the house, just get a lock box with push-button combination. Set the combination to something you can easily and quickly do in the dark. Many of those boxes require the last button to be the # sign. So 369# is great combo. Or 789#. Those are easy to find buttons in the dark.

Inside my nightstand box is a 1911 w/ night sights and laser grips (about the only time I would say laser grips are an excellent choice for self-defense). Also in my lock box is the key to a gun safe next to the bed that holds longer guns. (Not locked up, but also on the nightstand is my cell phone, eyeglasses, and a flashlight).

With kids in the house or not, that's my setup.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I went through this when I was raising my kids. My wife got worried one day about them getting into the gun. It was one of my 1911's which I kept in condition 2. That was done to help keep dust and lint out of the hammer/firing pin assembly. What I did was to unload the gun and then have then try to dry fire it. BTW, they were taught how to handle a gun safely from a much earlier age.
At ages 6 and 8, neither could dry fry the gun on condition 2. At Condition 3, not even my wife could chamber a round.
Another point is where I kept the gun. It was not kept on a nightstand were a prowler can see or find it. At night, it is in a soft case with the end open so I can get at it w/o having to get my feet on the ground.
If you keep a gun handy at night it must be easily accessible and easy for the shooter to use. Waking up from a sound sleep and getting into action, one is often not at one's best....Duh ! BTDT.
Nowadays, I sleep with a 220 Sig complete with night sights. I don't turn on lights or go looking for potential prowlers. I don't fool with chambering rounds in the dark either. Don't give away the fact that I'm on to him/them. Giving away any tactical advantage I have is not my way. E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
141 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.