Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
1) Call and get a quote from a hot shot hauler to haul it for you. Maybe not cheap. But easiest, lowest risk option.
2) Take a buddy on a road trip and drive it back...

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you tow it, at the very least put good mud flaps on the pickup. There are big wide ones that attach to the hitch that look like they can stop a lot of rocks from the road.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Lord almighty. It’s a car on a trailer people. You put the trailer on the pickup hitch then load the car and drive home. Ed k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06

I may rent a trailer to move a corvette 1100 miles. The tow vehicle would be a 1/2 ton silverado.
What issues do I need to consider. Have not done this before.
Thanks

I've got a car trailer as well as a stock truck I've used to move some cars around.
A half ton truck wouldn't be my first choice but it probably wouldn't stop me if it's all I had.

I've rented enclosed moving type trucks and loaded cars into them off racks at tire shops and the like where I could back up to their lifts.
Some have charged me a small fee, others never bothered, pretty simple task.

22 footers work pretty well but you may have to get creative with your tie downs.

Right off the top you gotta figure it'd be saving you 2200 miles of wear and tear on your personal truck.

I wouldn't be completely against flying one way, depending on your departure and destination locations a lot of flight are damn near empty. Flying on a plane with a half dozen others wouldn't create much of a true risk..

You can look online at the flight seating options and see how booked related flights might be.
Grab the cheapest flight to any airport near where the Vet is sitting and rent a truck from there could pencil out to some savings on the rental truck.

A little phone work to get a rental truck and lift waiting for you at your destination might turn into being quicker and less expensive than you'd think.

Keep us posted as to how you end up doing it, pics are golden.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I may rent a trailer to move a corvette 1100 miles. The tow vehicle would be a 1/2 ton silverado.
Thanks

I don't know which corvette you have but it should be 3500 lbs or less. Add an enclosed trailer and you are still well under 7000 lbs. Your 1/2 ton should be fine. You will need brakes though, so if your truck doesn't have it, add a brake controller. Inexpensive and easy to install. Newer trucks are even easier, because the brake controller company may also provide a wiring harness that connects under the dash. Once you get that done and get your hands on the trailer, take a practice run of 20 - 30 miles. Towing a trailer is no big deal if you just use some common sense. I definitely would not put my corvette on an open trailer. If you hit sloppy weather, the blow back from the tow vehicle would likely do damage. It would be like tailgating someone on the highway for 1100 miles. Bad idea if you like the paint job!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your truck want tow less than 5000 lbs. your need another truck. Brakes are needed. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most newer pickups, even 1/2Tn have electric trailer brake controllers built in. If you have a round 7-pin plug near your receiver hitch, you've got a trailer brake controller.

1st best idea would be a ~20' enclosed trailer to offer the 'Vette the best protection from rock-chips etc.

If for whatever reason the enclosed trailer is not feasible then my next choice would be a deckover and one of these: http://towtector.com

The deckover will probably cost you a little MPG, but, it gets the car up and over most of the "stuff" your tow vehicle throws. Toss on the TowTector (or similar, there's lots of them) and your only real danger to the 'Vette on the trailer is stuff thrown up by other vehicles.

Use the Tow/Haul button on the end of your gear-select lever. Should be able to run ~70MPH on flat ground with the cruise set. If you notice lots of shifting, slow down in ~5MPH increments until you hold a gear. Expect (and anticipate) the transmission down-shifting on even mild inclines.

Use your common sense when you get to the mountains. There's no shame in running the shoulder @ 45MPH with your flashers on if that's what it takes to be safe.

I wouldn't choose a 1/2Tn pickup to do that job every day. I wouldn't shy away from towing that 'Vette once with a 1/2Tn pickup either.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This is one of those things that no one should ever do unless they have already done it a minimum of 100 times - sort of like a long-ago thread on the 'fire where the idea was that no one should be allowed to post on the 'fire until he had a minimum of 1,000 posts or something like that.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go see a local expert that rents trailers don't come here, good grief

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ERK
Lord almighty. It’s a car on a trailer people. You put the trailer on the pickup hitch then load the car and drive home. Ed k

Have you seen the drill bit thread?????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by ERK

Have you seen the drill bit thread?????

That thread should really be moved to the Hunting Optics forum.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by ERK

I said that same thing, soon after the OP first post! Some things are just simple, people make them hard!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad

This is one of those things that no one should ever do unless they have already done it a minimum of 100 times - sort of like a long-ago thread on the 'fire where the idea was that no one should be allowed to post on the 'fire until he had a minimum of 1,000 posts or something like that.

How do you get to 100 times without doing it the first time?

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

Thanks for responses.
A friend just suggested as did others, have it moved.
I figured cost of trailer plus at least one night in a hotel in route would be $7-800 at least.
Hiring a mover, $849 in an open trailer, or $1119 in an enclosed trailer. These are “total” cost.
I’m going to hire it moved.

NRA Patron
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
849 for someone else to do it who has the experience and proper equipment?
Or 700-800 and you have to do everything and no idea what you’re doing. More abuse on your truck or you get to stay home or work for 2 days instead of being on the road?
Pretty easy if you ask me .

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've seen a bunch of good suggestions here, from some experienced folks. I've trailered quite a few old trucks all over the west and even driven 45 year-old vehicles 1500 miles to home - proper prep and equipment make it work.

Didn't notice info about the route, types of roadway and terrain, but if your truck specs/equipment say it is up to the task, one of the suggested trailers/sources will enable a good result. Generally flat landscape and super highways make such a task much easier and safer - back roads more of a challenge - and mountainous country worth some serious caution. Of course, when trailering, your own driving is the biggest determinant.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hire these guys

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks

I hauled a 'vette from Reno, NV to Louisiana years ago. using my 2000 1/2 ton 4 WD Silverado, 327 engine. No strain no pain. used the U-Haul car trailer, no problems. don't over think it. trailer had surge brakes, IIRC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by 5sdad

How do you get to 100 times without doing it the first time?

rofl, you have to CHEAT.
smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
220 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,923
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.