Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Craftsman is made in China now and people prefer Harbor Freight over most everything.

Just a means to an end apparently.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my AR and my Glock 19, but have a Cold Detective Special for back up, and own a 92 Trapper in .45 Colt, and my Wife has a Browning 92 in .357

We've got the best of both worlds.

Virgil B.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own plenty beautiful blue-wood rifles and i would never sell them they are fun to shoot. i really prefer just a single shot Ruger #1 s.s./ laminate stock rifle to big game hunt with. but at home for defense my pump 12 gauge/plastic stock and buck shot is what i grab first, my second line of defense is a AR -15 223 , third line of defense is a revolver 357 mag.,after that i guess i get put in a body bag.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 19352012
Maybe people don't want to damage the nice looking blue/wood guns so they don't buy them.

Too true. I’ve two safe queens waiting for the grandsons to get their own places.

Beautiful to look at but I couldn’t enjoy hunting with them unless I just adopted a f’k it attitude on it.

Stainless or blued and composite works best for me. It’s a tool after all.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

Having Chinese for dinner tonight, I see. It's a bit under-cooked.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

Having Chinese for dinner tonight, I see. It's a bit under-cooked.

That’s DD’s bat catcher.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When my dad and his brothers grew up in the 30s and 40s they didn’t buy guns for fun either. It’s just the sign of the times.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Personally, I love a beautiful Walnut stocked, richly blued classic firearm.....no “gaudy” engraving or outrageous cheek piece designs. But, I want a firearm to use, not set in a fancy gun case to look at. I can’t afford and wouldn’t if I could afford, to purchase a beautiful piece of art... to “use” it in the field. A quality, synthetic stocked, stainless steel rifle is simply superior in hunting applications....especially adverse hunting conditions. And....if using them in adverse conditions, they group better and hold their zero better than most wood stocked. The same with my truck, it was bought to use......not drive the boulevard on Sunday evening to impress others! JMO. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/05/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've got a little of everything hands on the ramen the reason what I prefer the best I've all got a place to matter of personal opinion I want just got to learn whatever he prefers to set it up for his usability nobody else

+1

Black Cows Matter!
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Pat85
When my dad and his brothers grew up in the 30s and 40s they didn’t buy guns for fun either. It’s just the sign of the times.

So they never had a .22 for "killing" cans? It was a way of practicing marksmanship, but it was fun, too. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's just a sign of the times". Times wer much tougher back in the 60s and early 70s than they are today. You had widespread antiwar protests and the riots in Detroit, Newark, Watts and the rest were much worse than anything that's happened in Ferguson or Baltimore. Yet, people didn't have the fake fear that they have nowadays. Half of our customers are wannabe operators. They don't shoot an AR, they run an AR platform, and on, and on.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/05/20.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The marketing says a lot about the attitudes...
Love me those old Winchester ads.
Right up there with the "only in a jeep" ads.
Values were different,
The speed of life was different.
Nothing like an ammo shortage to make people appreciate precision vs volume..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 04/05/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Pat85

So they never had a .22 for "killing" cans? It was a way of practicing marksmanship, but it was fun, too. Half of our customers are wannabe operators. They don't shoot an AR, they run an AR platform, and on, and on.

"Having fun" was viewed as being at least slothful, if not actually criminal, long after that by those from that era. Catch and release fishing was so alien a concept as to cause terrible headaches when encountered.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've got a little of everything hands on the ramen the reason what I prefer the best I've all got a place to matter of personal opinion I want just got to learn whatever he prefers to set it up for his usability nobody else

Again, in English?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards. The bargain racks at most gun shops and virtually all pawnshops are filled to overflowing with the high quality wood and blue steel rifles I couldn't afford to buy when they were new! I walked out of a pawn shop just east of Memphis with a scoped, sporterized US 1917 chambered in 300 H&H Magnum with a vintage Reinhardt Fajen stock (NOT the junk they produced after Potterfield bought the company) for less than $300.00 awhile back! That's one of several bargain rack custom guns I've acquired for chump change!
Jerry

And Some $300 rifles can keep 5 shots in gal jug at 500 yards now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In Tn, men used a .22 rifles for killin hogs, don’t need no marksmanship skills in a hog lot. Just some white bread.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
When I hear someone talk about "running" a rifle, I think they don't know the difference between rifles and sewing machines.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
So many people seem to be missing my point that I guess I'll just put it bluntly---so many people think that the only use of firearms is to kill other people.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m a grumpy bastard because I can’t find a gloss scope anymore.

matte matte matte

My deersticks are all-weather, stainless and ‘tupperware’. They have to be to clank on every steel step and iron cheese grater metal in my stands.

If I’m gonna ease down behind the house and sit on the ground and behave, I‘ll take blue and walnut.

And who still knows what a damn cheese grater is? Little fat face kids with their already shredded store-bought cheddar. You worked up an appetite doing the cheese and setting the table.
Now the meal IS that bag.

You makin' pimento-cheese sammies up in the stand?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two things. First tastes change. There was a time when people appreciated the artistry and craftsmanship in a firearm. This is easy to see in the "Golden Age" of muzzle loaders with it's various schools For craftsmanship, Uncle Franny who took up gunsmiths after WWII was well respected for his polishing ans bluing jobs. Others were famous for stock work like flawless checkering which you know isn't easy if you've ever tried it.

Today people are drawn to tacticool. Anything that makes you look more dangerous and more macho (now there;s a dated term) than the next guy.
Craftsman shop? CAD/CAM everything, craftsmanship is all in the geeks that designed the electronics.

Secondly it's a function of history. Firearm,s technology was first applied to military arms. The civilian market followed with former service men wanting what they experienced in the service. Bolt action displaced lever actions and trapdoors and falling blocks after Mausers came out. Autoloaders were a novelty before people experienced the Garand. So now we're experiencing the effect coming from Stoner's dream (nightmare)..

Personally I prefer a firearm that is aesthetically pleasing to look at in the classic sense as well as functional. Not one that is merely functional.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I am conflicted - the best of both worlds

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 62 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.