Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'll agree with that. I see the bid time expired on the rifle and it has been relisted. The guy I t/w at the gun shop advised if it doesn't sell it would be relisted.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It looks like a pretty clean rifle. Randy sold me a 1919 250-3000 rifle in better condition, for less. Been a couple years. I’m trying to save up for a 250 K with condition. But I keep wrecking stuff. Took out the aluminum tailgate on my new truck, insurance covered most of that. Then yesterday I took the front end off my John Deere X540.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is not a rare gun. It's an early 250 F. My Uncle has one. I've seen other 250's in same configuration. The ones with the integral front sights between about 1920/21 and 27/28 are definitely nicer and more desirable than the later ones IMO. An early G in 250 would get my heart racing a lot faster

This rear dovetail sight is wrong. The gun looks original but it's not in high condition.

If I wanted it, which I don't, I would not give more than $1000 as is.

Even that a stretch.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The front sight is a little earlier production than the serial # and barrel address would indicate. Nothing wrong with that since "with Savage never say never".

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I looked at that on gunbroker, then checked out sellers other items. Check out the Winchester 94 in 32-20. Now that's a rare gun!! Probably only one in existence.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Roy, if you go over there, give him some teachin. !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
This rear dovetail sight is wrong.

The folding rear sight goes nicely with the tang sight.

I don't know about "rare", but I don't see many floating around. Seems like I see more 99G's than 99F's.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenster99
Roy, if you go over there, give him some teachin. !

That'd be the blind leading the blind!

LOL
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
just looked trough my pile only found 2 not checkered and not as nice as LBJ,S I mean LBK . just went up to my camp 5 big toms one with double beard sorry of limits kids only

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is not a rare gun. It's an early 250 F. My Uncle has one. I've seen other 250's in same configuration. The ones with the integral front sights between about 1920/21 and 27/28 are definitely nicer and more desirable than the later ones IMO. An early G in 250 would get my heart racing a lot faster

This rear dovetail sight is wrong. The gun looks original but it's not in high condition.

If I wanted it, which I don't, I would not give more than $1000 as is.

Even that a stretch.

In my post where I penned -$300 for the rifle I'd be more comfortable vs the asking price, I was going to put around $1000-1100, but thought maybe I was going to low. If I lived within reasonable driving distance to the shop I'd make the trip, examine in person and make an offer if it looked good. Rather have a checkered 250/3000 Model F, but..... smile

S99VG posted that the gun store that is posting the Gun Broker 99 is more of the 'boutique' style store. The pictures of it I saw on its website...ya, it's more on the fancy, polished floor, everything neat and orderly style. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but I prefer the more laid back style where if ya happen to accidently drag a little mud into the place they don't get the 'hazmat' crew coming out. Have two GS in my area. One is so laid back the owner keeps a BB gun handy in case a mouse shows its face and takes a shot if a clear safe shot can be taken. Has easy chairs, table full of gun mags, catologs-coffee pot always full, wife makes cookies-nice place to go and sit and shoot the breeze. The other is the boutique style, polished floors, not a speck of dust, not a thing out of place, ya walk in, buy whatever, no time to shoot the breeze, higher prices also. Send more $$ in the other one.

Last edited by Savage94C; 04/05/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than what has been posted about serial vs barrel... that pricey rear sight is missing a screw and there is no photo of the left top tang area (crack?).

Not rare but not an easy find. More likely to find a .250 G than an F. At that time .30 cal anything was still king in hunting rifles.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rick99
Other than what has been posted about serial vs barrel... that pricey rear sight is missing a screw and there is no photo of the left top tang area (crack?).

Not rare but not an easy find. More likely to find a .250 G than an F. At that time .30 cal anything was still king in hunting rifles.

Good thing I can read what all of you eagle eyed 'experts' see in the gun, I'm not at that level yet, but glad I'm on this forum and have David Royals and Doug Murray's books. I'll have to go back with everything you've all said and reexamine, also compare with info and pics in Davids book and Murrays info. When I first got into buying and shooting British 303 Enfields, 03 Springfields, K98k Mausers, and M1 Garand's I didn't know anything but basic this and that. After buying a number of good highly respected books on each style and make of rifle, I educated my self pretty good. Can now see something on GB or at GunShows and pick out what is right and what isn't. I put the GB Model 99F on my GB watch list to see what comes of it, still say they've got their starting bid way to high. Their other 99's aren't getting any bids either.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savage94C
I put the GB Model 99F on my GB watch list to see what comes of it, still say they've got their starting bid way to high. Their other 99's aren't getting any bids either.

That's usually the tell tale sign that a dealer has his guns overpriced, nobody's bidding. It says something about the dealer, mostly they're fishing with sub-par bait.

But, back to Tommyguns, all his are high priced but most still sell, because he doesn't list any that aren't nearly mint. I guess when you have the goods, you can ask what you want and if people don't want to pay it you can tell them to go find another. I bought a couple "overpriced" guns from Tommyguns and don't regret it because there's no others out there.

Saw one early this morning that was under value IMO and had tons of condition, a 99T to boot, not at Tommys. You just have to decide what your standard is and what you're willing to give up for it and not worry about what it costs today. They aren't making any more 1930's Savages. Buy em when you see em.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
This rear dovetail sight is wrong.

The folding rear sight goes nicely with the tang sight.

I don't know about "rare", but I don't see many floating around. Seems like I see more 99G's than 99F's.

The "wrong" folding sight does go good.

And let's agree that the gun isn't "rare", more like "uncommon"

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenster99
I looked at that on gunbroker, then checked out sellers other items. Check out the Winchester 94 in 32-20. Now that's a rare gun!! Probably only one in existence.

be fun to see him try to shoot a 32wcf in that 32ws. grin
had me excited until I looked at it!

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/05/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My 99F 250 is 323xxx/1929.
Nothing else to add. Just fun to look at. smile
The others are 250's as well. 99H & 250-3000 type II.
All shoot 87gr. great. Never even tried 100gr.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Nice!

Yeah! I covet that barrel band. grin

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Nice!

Yes they are!!! Not to far of a drive from my 10-20 in Iowa to yours in Wisconsin if ya ever want to part with it (the F). Love those 'Cha-noble' forearms!!! (That's how one of my favorite local gunshop owner says it--calls Chiappa firearms, 'Chippewa', as in boots)!!! Love his gunshop, he's one of a kind firearms dealer, his shop is a throw back to the 50's! Probably why he's busy all the time and sells a lot of firearms, components, and accessories. Most days ya see guys standing around and the round table seats (old easy chairs, recliners, dining room chairs, etc) filled with customers shooting the breeze. Fun place to go!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
My 99F 250 is 323xxx/1929.
Nothing else to add. Just fun to look at. smile
The others are 250's as well. 99H & 250-3000 type II.
All shoot 87gr. great. Never even tried 100gr.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

quadruple nice

Last edited by texken; 04/06/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.