Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I

Got my fast-twist (1:7.5) 25-06 back from the smith today where he did his usual bedding and paint magic.

Mounted a 3-9 SWFA SS and threw a few rounds together right quick. Shooting conditions were terrible with 15-20 mph winds from right to left, but I simply HAD to know if it was going to shoot these new bullets. Used my truck to block the wind as best I could and bore down. The first group with a light load of 7828ssc yielded about an inch. Not terrible, but not awesome either.

Switched to Reloader 23 and let three go....things improved a bit.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Grabbed three more loaded with R26 (same OAL) and it printed a nice little triangle.

It’s too early to call it a success, but it’s off to a good start.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
BP-B2

I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
The aforementioned 25-06...

131s loaded in Nosler brass at 3.400 (.02 off lands).

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very cool! Did you get a chance to chrony any of them? Looks like a custom chamber with a bit more freebore?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congratulations, now there's a nice hunting weight rifle, can the 131 ACE's be used on game, I cant tell from the pic if it's a thin capped HP or FMJ.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Congratulations, now there's a nice hunting weight rifle, can the 131 ACE's be used on game, I cant tell from the pic if it's a thin capped HP or FMJ.

Over on their website it looks like they are/were working on a long range hunting bullet.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nice!

Second the motion on hoping to hear chrony numbers when you get some.

And, I'd like to know the ring maker please, rarely see a 42 mm obj. 30 tube sit that low.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Nice!And, I'd like to know the ring maker please, rarely see a 42 mm obj. 30 tube sit that low.

Bolt throw and eye piece mass, has a lot to do with how low you can mount the scope.
Have a Leupold 4.5x14 30mm mounted on the deck of a Rem .204, but the SS 6X MQ on my Kimbers has to be mounted hight in order to let the bolt handle pass....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with respect, shooting 5 shot groups with these 131 gr. Black Jack bullets that`s when i can`t get consistency of 1/2 inch or less , in my 25 Creedmoor and my 257 Roberts won`t shoot consistent 5 shot groups with this 131 gr. bullet. but both rifles will with 115 gr. B.T. Noslers 1/2 inch 5 shot groups with consistency but not B.J. 131 gr. bullets.i think Black Jack bullets knows they got a problem with consistency and yes for a hunting rifle these bullets should be ok for most hunters, i just got some 115 gr. Berger bullets so i plan on trying them next. hope the best for you,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/05/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What barrel is on that rifle? I haven't found too many barrel makers that will go both fast twist and light weight in 25 caliber. Nice shooting my 25-06 likes R26 with the 117 Hornaday's so I stopped there. I will give the 115 Bergers a try but I think the 115 BT may be a better all around choice for me as I get a lot of close range shots.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
pete53,

With respect..3,5,10...what group size is relevant?...because I’ve read all three written as the “gospel”. Personally, I like to keep a single target for a cold impact group where each time I go out my first shot of the day is at the same target as my first shot on the LAST trip out. After all, 90% of my kills are a first shot proposition and it’s been my experience that first shot is going to be a guy’s best chance to connect. I rarely get to shoot for groups with my hunting guns.

Every post/thread I’ve read except yours sings the praises of their accuracy. That doesn’t mean you’ve done anything wrong of course, and it doesn’t mean my limited 3-shot groups mean anything either. Time will tell, which is why I said it was too early to proclaim their virtues in my gun.

As per earlier questions, yes they have a small opening at the tip. For reference, that’s a 7mm 168 Berger VLD at left and the 131 ACE on the right.

As for the scope mounts, I think most of that “low” mounting height is because of the low bases, which are Burris Extreme. These...

Rings are these fwiw. First time I’ve used them, but local supply was limited and I was in a hurry...

If wind will lay down, I’ll probably run out this evening and do a little more work with the 7828ssc since I have so much on hand.

Dave

IC B3

I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Tej,

Barrel and install from Preferred Barrel Blanks in UT. This is their #1 contour. Seems just about right for mountain rifle to me, but you what they say about opinions...

Muzzle diameter at 23”.

Yeah, I know most of you would have finished it longer...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lookin good brother Dave.. 3 shots work for me too. 23” is just right. Now your ready to do gods work with it!! 👍🤙

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool rifle! Gunna try an whack a bear with it this spring?

100% Public land DIY!
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks Jud.

The rifle is actually my son’s (Rowdy) High-School graduation present.

I originally bought it in 1990 as a .280, and turned out the lights on many an animal with it. The original tube was smoked, and Rowdy wanted something “different”.

I tried talking him into a .270 Winny in the name of practicality, but he wanted no part of it. Stumbled across the 131 Blackjacks and figured it was just weird enough to suit his desires. Action length dictated 25-06. Had to resist the urge to AI with the blind magazine configuration, as i didn’t want to be worried about any feeding issues for him down the road.

If/when I land on a consistent load with the 131s, I’ll
try some factory fodder so he has a plan “b” should I meet a premature demise somehow.

Hunter,

I’d LOVE to bear hunt with it this spring, but it’s the boy’s rifle. I’m just in charge of load development.

I’m still shooting a custom .280, pre-64 willed to me
by my shooting mentor and dearly-missed friend. It’s damn cool in it’s own right and twice as classy. Also kills stuff quite well with 160 ABs.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 04/05/20.

I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Ran back out this afternoon and braved the rain, hail, and wind to try some 7828ssc. Shooting conditions were TERRIBLE, but I couldn’t help myself. Shot loads at 50, 51.5, and 52. I didn’t see/feel any pressure signs and all grouped relatively well. Similar POI as well..

Here is 51.5..

52 grains...

Tried a box of 117 Hornady “American Hunter” and they sucked azz with two groups at about 1.5”.

Going to play around with seating depth and the 7828ssc and see what’s what.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice!

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread. You’ve got to love R26. It’s pixie dust. Did you get any velocities?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
5 shots for a group is the normal in benchrest competition that`s the standard at 100 and 200 yards,so that`s what i and some others measure how well our rifles shoot. i have shot 3 shot groups too that are under a 1/2 inch some were 1/4 inch with these 131 gr. Black Jack bullets but with 5 not as many for consistency, but i can with 115 gr. B.T. any day. but if your happy with a couple of 3 shot groups good for you,enjoy your rifle ,your rifle sure looks great. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/05/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I’ve had the gun a total of two days. I’m sorry my admittedly limited findings are insufficient for your needs.

Are you hoping if I shoot 5-shot groups it will somehow make your guns shoot better with them?

p.s. If you detect a tone it’s because you edited your douchy statement about my “questionable” groups first. I was responding in kind.

Last edited by iddave; 04/05/20.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Keep up the good work. Ignore Pete’s dumb arse. He is the Only person on earth that does things right( his way). He even used to argue with Pat Sinclair about loading and shooting. Plus he bitches about Montana hunting too much while living in commie MN. I personally love 25-06 and 23 answers the question of 22 or 24”. Look forward to more updates. Sweet grad present btw.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
474 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.