24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As usual, this is being way over-engineered. Just rent a trailer and if it doesn't have some kind of rock guard across the front, put a set of substantial flaps on the hitch of your pickup.
Electric brakes are better than surge brakes but a U-haul will have surges and they'll do the job.
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by 5sdad

This is one of those things that no one should ever do unless they have already done it a minimum of 100 times - sort of like a long-ago thread on the 'fire where the idea was that no one should be allowed to post on the 'fire until he had a minimum of 1,000 posts or something like that.

How do you get to 100 times without doing it the first time?

It was supposed to be a jab at the people who think that everyone should be an expert, but have no patience with people who are learning. Re: backing a trailer.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're driving, take camping gear and food in case you get stuck in some place where everything is shut down.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No disrespect to the OP, but if I needed to move my expensive Corvette across the country and had never towed a trailer before, I would just get someone to move it for me, or figure out some way to drive it.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

You can get a car hauled across the US by truck for about $350.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
No disrespect to the OP, but if I needed to move my expensive Corvette across the country and had never towed a trailer before, I would just get someone to move it for me, or figure out some way to drive it.
Good perspective. But, then, depending on year/model. some Corvettes are not very expensive by comparison.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Christ get a trailer, hook it to your truck, load the car on it, strap said car down so it don't fall off, Put truck in drive and go. Even a 1/2 chevy will be able to handle this load. Trailer brakes would be nice but if you have half a brain you can get by with just the truck brakes. Drive cautious in busy areas. You will be fine.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He needs trailer brakes to be legal in any state. State laws vary but this load will require them anywhere. He also needs them to be safe. Pulling that much weight at highway speeds without them would be stupid.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
This^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

You can get a car hauled across the US by truck for about $350.

I hate to disagree, but it's been my experience that it cost approx $1.00 a mile and an enclosed trailer adds 30% - 50%

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Christ get a trailer, hook it to your truck, load the car on it, strap said car down so it don't fall off, Put truck in drive and go. Even a 1/2 chevy will be able to handle this load. Trailer brakes would be nice but if you have half a brain you can get by with just the truck brakes. Drive cautious in busy areas. You will be fine.

We really need a like button......

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He needs trailer brakes to be legal in any state. State laws vary but this load will require them anywhere. He also needs them to be safe. Pulling that much weight at highway speeds without them would be stupid.

Laws? Safety?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pretty much like this attitude and advice - except that portion regarding trailer brakes. With this much load, safety can be a serious issue without those = on a steep downhill run, in strong windy conditions and when suddenly confronted with events out front and the need to stop/control very quickly. Drive smart and safe - have a good trip.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Those are options, but was trying to avoid flying, the virus thing.

Flights are like $12 bucks now...
And airplanes are cleaner than grocery stores..
I bet car hauling is even cheaper. .

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I tried to rent a car trailer for a f150. No go. had to be a 250 or more.
Which route? 45 on eisenhouer is a pucker trip coming in from Kansas not so, or iowa or texas.
A corvette club or scca guy may know of the experienced insured guys who move sports cars and classics

Or hitchhike and drive back 😁

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CCCC
I pretty much like this attitude and advice - except that portion regarding trailer brakes. With this much load, safety can be a serious issue without those = on a steep downhill run, in strong windy conditions and when suddenly confronted with events out front and the need to stop/control very quickly. Drive smart and safe - have a good trip.

This

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dale06

I may rent a trailer to move a corvette 1100 miles. The tow vehicle would be a 1/2 ton silverado.
What issues do I need to consider. Have not done this before.
Thanks

With a proper flatbed double-axle car-hauler trailer, you won't have a care.. Total weight might be in the 5K# range and your truck can handle that with aplomb... If the trailer is a covered model, then I would suggest at least an anti-sway hitch - depending on the length - because wind can then be another factor. You WILL need to have a brake controller since that trailer will have electric brakes.. Newer vehicles have those built in, but if yours is lacking you'll have to have one installed.. Before my trucks had the factory stuff I had installed a P3 from Techonsha... Slick unit, that...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Had my F250 hauled to Houston from Amarillo for $500 in 2016. Once the truck was loaded I flew home, sat in my rocker & waited for a call. Effortless for me.

There are carriers out there that are quite affordable.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.