Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is there an appreciable difference within 20-30 yards?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
.22 is more effective although .177 will get the job done given enough velocity and good shot placement. Good shot placement is required with any pellet gun though. No .22 or .177 caliber pellet rifle has anywhere near the killing power of a .22 LR HP. For your specific need I suggest a multi pump pneumatic. Pump it just 2 or 3 times for routing the neighbors dogs. Otherwise you'll be burying pellets deep in their ass.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I suggest a multi pump pneumatic. Pump it just 2 or 3 times for routing the neighbors dogs. Otherwise you'll be burying pellets deep in their ass.

I hear you, I wouldn't do that to a dog. Now the owner....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
.22 is more effective although .177 will get the job done given enough velocity and good shot placement. Good shot placement is required with any pellet gun though. No .22 or .177 caliber pellet rifle has anywhere near the killing power of a .22 LR HP. For your specific need I suggest a multi pump pneumatic. Pump it just 2 or 3 times for routing the neighbors dogs. Otherwise you'll be burying pellets deep in their ass.

I give up. What does killing rabbits and squirrels have to do with shooting dogs. Original poster never mentioned the neighbor’s dogs or a need to shoot them. Geez, guy, read a little more carefully....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jdollar

I give up. What does killing rabbits and squirrels have to do with shooting dogs. Original poster never mentioned the neighbor’s dogs or a need to shoot them. Geez, guy, read a little more carefully....
He knows what I'm talking about. You don't need to.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had to take out a couple marauding squirrels that used to terrorize my garden. Had a sweet setup out the downstairs window. Pump up Crossmon .177 had no issues head shooting squirrels at 25 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Absolutely the 22 is a more effective killer. The 177 will do the trick but tends to over penetrate where the 22 cal leaves more of the energy in the target as well as a bigger hole. That has been my experience using both for the last 40 years of testing on a couple thousand of rock chucks and ground squirrels.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jdollar

It was in a different thread, I was asking for recommendations for an air rifle, and I mentioned maybe shooting a neighborhood dog in the ass if It was sh*tting in my yard.

If I get a rifle that I can't power down like blackheart recommended, I'll just throw rocks at the dog. And shoot the owner in the ass.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If you shoot them in the head there is zero difference, have killed a ton of them with both. A air rifle is very effective if you can shoot and hit what your shooting at, chest shots even with .22 cal can result in them getting to a hole or hanging up in the tree.. best to take head shots always, just wait for a good shot, another good shot is underneath the chin thru the neck into spine.
If using .177 dont use hard cheap pellets like crosman as they expand very little better to get JSB Diablo pellets.
I agree on shooting owner in the Azz as the dog doesn't know they are in someones yard but usually the dumbazz neighbor does.

Rabbits are easy to kill can kill them with a daisy red ryder, fox squirrels are the water buffalo of small game they make a coyote look like a whimp when it comes to will to live if hit bad.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dbowling
If you shoot them in the head there is zero difference, have killed a ton of them with both. A air rifle is very effective if you can shoot and hit what your shooting at, chest shots even with .22 cal can result in them getting to a hole or hanging up in the tree.. best to take head shots always, just wait for a good shot, another good shot is underneath the chin thru the neck into spine.
If using .177 dont use hard cheap pellets like crosman as they expand very little better to get JSB Diablo pellets.
I agree on shooting owner in the Azz as the dog doesn't know they are in someones yard but usually the dumbazz neighbor does.

Rabbits are easy to kill can kill them with a daisy red ryder, fox squirrels are the water buffalo of small game they make a coyote look like a whimp when it comes to will to live if hit bad.
I agree completely with all of that.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dbowling
..... fox squirrels are the water buffalo of small game they make a coyote look like a whimp when it comes to will to live if hit bad.

LOL, I've got a bunch of those fat bastards around here. They're obnoxious, think they own the place. I better go for the .22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve found them both to work equally as well. If noise matters, the .22s tend to stay below supersonic.

Oh....and stay away from springers or learn to master the artillery hold. PITA.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Is there an appreciable difference within 20-30 yards?

Tim McMurray who owns MAC1 probably knows more about air rifles than most and he believes that the .177 is for precision target shooting and the .22 is for field use. He is an advocate of heavy pellets to maximize kinetic energy transfer on live targets.

If you shot 'em in the head either will do, but for body shots the .22 with heavy pellets is preferable.

www.mac1airgunshop.com

EDIT: I have a couple of old S&W 77As, a 55 year old Crosman 1400 series,an equally old Crosman 622 CO2 rifle that looks like it could be a Remington 760 understudy, and a 40-odd year old Sheridan that might be called a Blue Streak. The 77A are nice, man-sized, pellet guns that have been through a MAC1 rebuild. They are pretty accurate and kill opossums, rabbits, and squirrels without much noise.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/09/20. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
177 at those ranges, easy peasy, with head shots, good roundnose pellet like Crosman Premiers, I'd use a light pellet in a low powered airgun to keep trajectory decent....and a heavy for more efficiency if using a stout gun.

ME, I have enjoyed the .20 cal, with 14.3 gr Premier domes.....dropped a tree squirrel about 70 yards.....they Whack stuff, so will a .22.

But again, to YOUR ranges, the .177 is fine, if you place your shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can kill a rabbit with sarcasm. Squirrels are tough. .22 for certain, and the more power the better.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i use a 177 with solid pointed pellets gets better pen. in head shots on tree rats

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
pointed pellets are not needed and in most cases are less accurate then domed pellets. Any .177 shooting 12ft lbs will penetrate a squirrels head to at least 40 yds same for a .22 cal. Just do not use wad cutters on squirrels usually lousy penetration unless very close and head shots only..

The artillery hold is not needed with springers what is needed is to hold/shoot the same way every time, cheek weld, hand placement, grip etc.. been shooting/hunting with springers for 30 plus years and can kill just as efficiently with them as any PCP Ive owned. PCP are just a lot more convenient not any more accurate, my PCP guns usually stay at home when hunting.
Used to shoot hunter field target off hand with a springer with about 20 other guys who shot PCP and usually came in the top 5.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I ran across a couple of youtube videos by "orion the iguana hunter" and "airgun evolution" about hunting iguanas in south Florida with pellet rifles. It looked like it would be a ton of fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 44mc
i use a 177 with solid pointed pellets gets better pen. in head shots on tree rats

Long ago, had a BSA Meteor, clocked 675ish with RWS Superpoints, in THAT rifle, I seemed to have solid performance and it was quite accurate scoped, though normally like a standard weight dome / round nose. The latter seemed to have a bit of a 'whack' factor, but no doubt penetration was a sure thing using those SuperPoints. In high powered guns, heavy pellets are great. Flat or match pellets do great on close range birds especially sparrows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i wrote that wrong i should have said non hollow point

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.