Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have not been following this.....Recovery still going on? Bodies recovered yet?

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have a lot of canoe experience. I have travelled in a canoe in some pretty bad wind, and waves, in Quetico Park in Ontario.
I can see how this would happen. The soccer ball goes into the water, it is only 20 feet from shore, the canoe and paddles are right there, you could just paddle out and be back on shore in 3 minutes. No time to get back to the house for the life jackets, but, they are probably good swimmers and thought they only needed to go 20 feet.

Sounds like something I would have done.

But you miscalculate the wind, and before you know it you are 100 yards out, the waves are getting bigger and the wind is blowing stronger than you can paddle. You are screwed.

Precisely.
Sad deal.

I've seen this very thing occur more than once. It didn't involve famous people but was no less tragic. The son trusted his mom. I can imagine the terror she felt when she realized the danger she'd allowed them to get into. Regardless of their name or how bad the decision might have been, it's heartbreaking. That or you're just a dick!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
fishing offshore a lot if you are not careful, chit can go south real quick.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
fishing offshore a lot if you are not careful, chit can go south real quick.

Yep, and few realize just how quick unless they have had it happen. It can be scary fast.

My father was a WSI and canoe enthusiast. When I was young we capsized numerous canoes in warm water, controlled situations to learn how to deal. A canoe can capsize in a heartbeat; especially your typical “recreational lake” canoe which will have good initial stability and very poor final stability.
The Chesapeake in April with the wind blowing 30 ... damn.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So what’s the best thing to do once in that situation?

I figure both sit on the bottom of the canoe as close to the middle as possible.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I figure both sit on the bottom of the canoe as close to the middle as possible.

I'd keep it pointed into the waves as much as possible, stay low, and try to surf in, little by little, assuming it was too rough to angle in toward shore. Also, get the bow down by moving forward. Trying to paddle against the wind with the bow up won't work very well. It will swing you around, getting sideways in a breaker.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

2 things not to do:

start a stupid thread about going out in a canoe for a ball

get in a canoe and go out in the water to get the ball

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

best thing to do is buy a new ball. being they were Kennedy's they didn't have the smarts to realize that.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Kennedy's and water just don't mix

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Most people sit on the thwarts instead of on the bottom like you should.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by benchman

I'd keep it pointed into the waves as much as possible, stay low, and try to surf in, little by little, assuming it was too rough to angle in toward shore. Also, get the bow down by moving forward. Trying to paddle against the wind with the bow up won't work very well. It will swing you around, getting sideways in a breaker.

Don't try and turn around.

Pointed into the wind and paddle backwards.

Soon as you're sideways, it's going over.

Tough situation, with no real answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They were probably taking water over the gunwhale pretty quickly. The canoe would have filled with water and a wave likely capsized them. In the cold water, without PFD's, fighting a strong current and wind, it wouldn't take long for hypothermia to do what it does.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Its called hop out of the canoe quickly and wade/walk/swim back while your close enough to shore. Its a ball, unless Pelè kicked the ball it wasnt that far. It was the water temp that did them in, guaranteed, once they allowed their panic to overtake while the wind sucked them out. The air temps been decent but the bays still in the 50’s.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Yeah, that's what I meant by move forward...still takes a bunch of muscle and endurance. I doubt she had enough of either. Been there, done that. After a downed duck in the wind.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Yeah, that's what I meant by move forward...still takes a bunch of muscle and endurance. I doubt she had enough of either. Been there, done that. After a downed duck in the wind.

Exactly. The instinct to try and turn around is hard to overcome, especially under stress.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't followed this story to much, I just figured they pissed off the Clinton's.

Sucks a child died.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The Kennedy's and water just don't mix

It has been reported that the gene responsible for alcoholism has been found in Massachusetts, it is Teddy Kennedy’s old bar tender, Gene.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Most people sit on the thwarts instead of on the bottom like you should.

Tough call. My conjecture would be mom was in the stern, strong offshore wind caught them and she couldn’t get the bow into the wind. In that situation she would need to turn herself 180 and paddle for all she was worth (stern first, into the wind, towards shore).

Another (poor) option would be to abandon the canoe and try to make it back to the beech. This would need to be executed quickly and without hesitation - tough to do with an 8 year old. Water temps were in the mid 40s, so this would need to be done very near shore.

One additional option would be to try to create a water anchor using anything available to keep the bow (or stern) into the wind and hope help comes quickly. A rope with a bailing bucket, etc. Problem being as they drifted further from shore the wave height would rapidly increase and quickly swamp your typical canoe - going to be steep faces and a very short period.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You would think that the Kennedy clan would stay away from water after realizing that Oldsmobiles and airplanes don't float very well.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks like most of these were covered while I was pecking on my phone ...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.