Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I put up an electric fence around my garden to keep deer out.

The box is several years old. How to check it? It’s the type that pulses, not constant.
Light comes on and makes clicking sound.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stand bare footed and grab and hold it for three minutes.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I grabed a fence wire coming out of the swimming hole when I was about ten years old. My nuts didn't come un-welded till I was twelve.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually just throw a cat at it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They make cheap fence testers that you can grab at your local farm and home store. It should also tell you the strength of the signal when it lights up.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
take a screwdriver , lay it to the wire and touch the tip to something like a steel post....you can see an arc if it is working

or buy a fence voltage tester......farm stores sell them

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

I’ll look into the testers.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Heck just touch it. That's what grandpa always did.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Short it with something well insulated. A big blue spark is good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take a blade of grass and touch the fence with it a couple of on inches from your fingers and slowly move your hand closer while keeping the grass on the wire. You should feel it at about an inch to an inch and a half from the wire.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a whiz on it............if you feel like someone just shot a razorblade up your pecker, you'll know the fence is working.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just take a 4-5' piece of smooth wire and shove it in the ground about a foot. Pick a place directly under the fence.

Now get stick that you can use to touch your grounded wire to the hot wire. When they meet you will see a little spark and hear a little zap.

Leave the wire in the ground and check it whenever you want. Obviously make sure that your ground wire only contacts the hot when you want to test.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Take a whiz on it............if you feel like someone just shot a razorblade up your pecker, you'll know the fence is working.

Very effective. Works every time... shocked

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an electric fence around the horses, and on a short section of cattle pasture that we have yet to put up a new fence. It runs off the electrical outlet, and is grounded good, and is very hot. I was working close to it a few years ago, forgot about it, and bent over to pick something up and touched it with my head. The jolt I got was literally so hard that it knocked me on my back, and left me with the top of head burning. The next day, my blood pressure shot up, and I was hurting throughout my head and neck. I did some research, and my symptoms were like those of whiplash. I always figured that when it knocked me back, it jolted my neck, causing a mild whiplash. It was about 2 weeks before I started feeling better.

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a stroke that left him partially paralyzed. He could grab an electric fence, and hold it with his hand, feel the fence , and tell if it was working or not. One morning he'd walked across the yard and a heavy dew had gotten his shoes wet. He was grounded pretty good when he tested that fence, and it knocked the crap out of him. I can still hear him hollering, almost 60 years later..........lol.

I've seen some fences so powerful that they'd kill a bird if it was grounded just right. I've also seen snakes that crawled up on an electric fence and got fried. An electric fence, properly grounded, is nothing to mess around with.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They make a cheap fence tester. You can buy them where the sell the chargers.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
take a screwdriver , lay it to the wire and touch the tip to something like a steel post....you can see an arc if it is working

or buy a fence voltage tester......farm stores sell them

The screw driver with a plastic handle method is what I did.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Very effective. Works every time... shocked

DF

I've probably told this story on here before, but when I was a kid I one of my cousins came up to visit from the city, one of us turned the fence off and we all peed on it and then dared him to do it. He started and about mid stream they turned the fence back on. 20 years later he came out of the closet and our granny was always convinced that peeing on the fence is what made him gay.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Using a blade of grass is the way I've always done it. You just feel a tingle.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
When I was a kid, my dad had a bed of tomatoes behind the house. The neighborhood cats started using the bed as a litter box and dad put up an electric fence to keep them out. One night my grandparents came over for dinner. During the evening, my grandfather stepped outside for a few minutes and we heard a yelp from the backyard. Later, I remember hearing my parents arguing later which my father wrapped up with “ . . . well the old son of a b*#&@ shouldn’t have been peeing on my tomatoes!”

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Georat
When I was a kid, my dad had a bed of tomatoes behind the house. The neighborhood cats started using the bed as a litter box and dad put up an electric fence to keep them out. One night my grandparents came over for dinner. During the evening, my grandfather stepped outside for a few minutes and we heard a yelp from the backyard. Later, I remember hearing my parents arguing later which my father wrapped up with “ . . . well the old son of a b*#&@ shouldn’t have been peeing on my tomatoes!”

Instant Karma! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.