Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think even the local feed store has varget still in stock. If someone just has to have it, I’ll swing by and see how much.

CK
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Local shop just got a ton of it in. Buddy bought some. I thought about picking up a pound or two. But I don’t really use it in anything at the moment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's the bomb in my 7-08's. No drama, just great results.

As will RL-15, H4350 & IMR-4350, IMR-4451, IMR-4166 & IMR-4064.

Varget is good in many rounds, almost never the very best & almost never the very worst, but it has no magic that cannot usually be equaled or bettered by other powders.

JME

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's the bomb in my 7-08's. No drama, just great results.

As will RL-15, H4350 & IMR-4350, IMR-4451, IMR-4166 & IMR-4064.

Varget is good in many rounds, almost never the very best & almost never the very worst, but it has no magic that cannot usually be equaled or bettered by other powders.

JME

MM

That's a pretty good summary, and matches my experience.

I think it might have been one of the best options for the 308 when it was introduced, but we have a lot more powder choices now. I also think a lot of people have made or perpetuated the mistake of thinking if it was hot in a certain cartridge, it must be one of the best choices for other cartridges too, and that gets exaggerated when top shooters used that particular powder; basically that "follow the leader" syndrome that happens in any sport or competition.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/02/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I'll even go a step further.................at the risk of offending some.

Way too many people get hung up on a given gun's need to be fed a very specific powder & maybe a very specific bullet, & frankly, those kind of guns go down the road pretty quickly for me.

Good rifles with good barrels, square & concentric receivers with good bedding are usually not finicky & will usually shoot several loads well.

Marginal guns usually tend to be very finicky & that's where lots of guys get hung up on "magic" powders.

MM

IC B2

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As I said in an earlier post, I've always looked at Varget as a jack of all trades, and a master of none. I've always had problems getting it to meter right. But, it's given me some very good results in the 308, and with 40 grain bullets in the 22-250.............and I've experimented quite a bit with other powders. However, I agree that there are other powders that will work just as well, if one will take the time to find out. I'm a hunter, not a target shooter, so a few hundreds of an inch difference in groups isn't going to matter very much to me, but it would be a different matter if I were a target shooter in a competition.

I guess I'm just old fashioned, because I still use H4831 for the 270, even though most people have gone on to newer powders. I figure if it's not broke, why fix it. So, I'll use Varget for a few applications, but won't lose any sleep over not being able to find any.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hodgdon introduced Varget in 1994, I tried it and liked it and really stocked up on it.
I ran out of my 1994 supply of Varget in 2017 and bought a new lot#. WOW the new Varget is not the same as the old Varget that I loved.
I don't know what year Hodgdon introduced their "EXTREME" powders but they must have changed the formulation for Varget at that time ?????

The OP mentions Varget as the" jack of all trades, and the master of none" this may be true of the post EXTREME Varget but for me the powder it describes is CFE223. I can always find a powder that works better than this stuff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Way too many people get hung up on a given gun's need to be fed a very specific powder & maybe a very specific bullet, & frankly, those kind of guns go down the road pretty quickly for me.

Good rifles with good barrels, square & concentric receivers with good bedding are usually not finicky & will usually shoot several loads well.

Marginal guns usually tend to be very finicky & that's where lots of guys get hung up on "magic" powders.

MM

Not offended I just disagree,
Apparently you don't know too many benchrest shooters !!!!!!!!! 90%+ shoot a 6PPC and 90%+ of those shooters use VihtaVuori N133 powder, they might vary a bit on bullets but all are 64gr-68gr.
Even on my custom Varmint and big game rifles I can always find a specific powder that works best, sorry it does not work this way for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor

MM

Apparently you don't know too many benchrest shooters !!!!!!!!! 90%+ shoot a 6PPC and 90%+ of those shooters use VihtaVuori N133 powder, they might vary a bit on bullets but all are 64gr-68gr.
Even on my custom Varmint and big game rifles I can always find a specific powder that works best, sorry it does not work this way for you.

Not sure he is saying what your thinking.

I think he is saying that some rifles will shoot a plethora of combinations pretty well no matter the powder or bullet used and some will only shoot 1 bullet and 1 powder good enough to shoot smallish groups.

I had a Savage 22-250 that with about 4 different powders and at least a half dozen different bullets it would always shoot under 1/2" group.

I could take 1 each of 40, 50, 52 and 55 grain bullets, each with a different powder underneath and still shoot a 3/4-1" group.

Even when I was loaded and sighted in with 1 combination I could load a new combo and POI was within an inch of the previous load.

That's my kind of rifle, not picky at all.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did not intend to convey that given enough trials, that one very specific powder might turn not out to be "best' but that's a relative term, & for BR's that might be the difference between 1/4" & 3/8" given enough trials.............so yes, BR is maybe a special group.

And yes, I do use VV 133..........in 8 lb jugs.

But for typical hunting rifles, I really don't want one that I have to go through a dozen powders to find one that gets me to an acceptable level of accuracy that is 1/4" better than all the others, when all the others are MOA or better.

Do as you like & I'll do likewise, but I'll not keep hunting rifles & require one very specific powder to get me to an acceptable level of accuracy unless I absolutely LOVE the rifle.

YMMV & obviously does.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like Varget has been in short supply just about every time I've ordered powder in the last 10 years or so. My timing must be bad. Years back, I went with jugs of RL15 and H4895 as a result, and both have treated me well.

Now with even more aplomb
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

MM

BR is a poor example; those guys don't care if a barrel shoots reasonably well with a lot of different loads, they only care how good it is with that match-winning load. And they're looking at the difference where a 0.20" group vs a 0.220" group might be the difference between winning and not even placing. For a hunting rifle, that kind of difference is completely irrelevant.

Your BR example does illustrate what I was saying about "follow the leader" syndrome though; if the top guy wins a few matches with a different powder, most of that 90% group will switch and do whatever he did. They're not necessarily wrong, but not necessarily right either, and it shows why following the pack doesn't necessarily get you the best results.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Best (supposedly) rifle I ever owned was a Cooper in 280. Tried quite a few powders and bullets to get one to shoot about an inch at 100. Down the road it went. Several powders usually work in most guns if you play with them a little. Ed k

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an LVSF 22-250 that only loves Varget. I could have bought 3 lbs today but I don’t need it. So tempting though because it’s been very scarce.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Yondering

MM

BR is a poor example; those guys don't care if a barrel shoots reasonably well with a lot of different loads, they only care how good it is with that match-winning load. And they're looking at the difference where a 0.20" group vs a 0.220" group might be the difference between winning and not even placing. For a hunting rifle, that kind of difference is completely irrelevant.

Your BR example does illustrate what I was saying about "follow the leader" syndrome though; if the top guy wins a few matches with a different powder, most of that 90% group will switch and do whatever he did. They're not necessarily wrong, but not necessarily right either, and it shows why following the pack doesn't necessarily get you the best results.

Truly dreadful analysis !!!!!! funny though laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you able to look through a keyhole with both eyes, too??? wink

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

MM

Now that is a funny!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

MM

You proclaimed an absolute, I pointed out that it was not absolute............
and all you got is weak keyhole smack laugh laugh laugh
I expected more from a dude from Montana

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.