Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Production economy, pretty self explanatory.

Service industry: lots of money changes hands. Many low pay or min wage jobs. But nothing actually produced.

Do you think America will recover with a much stronger percentage of production jobs, and lower our dependence on foreign sourced goods?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let us hope so but there will have to be laws enacted that prevent the entry of manufactured goods from countries that exploit labor to the extent that they use de facto slave labor. If we aren't learning the non wisdom of depending on enemies for necessities then we cannot learn. I keep wondering why we would import food from countries that are net importers of food. Like China.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Let us hope so but there will have to be laws enacted that prevent the entry of manufactured goods from countries that exploit labor to the extent that they use de facto slave labor. If we aren't learning the non wisdom of depending on enemies for necessities then we cannot learn. I keep wondering why we would import food from countries that are net importers of food. Like China.

One of the primary reason is called "comparative advantage". This theory was introduced by David Ricardo in the early 1800's.

Here's a short primer on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will have to read that later but I will read it. I understand that goods or any other inputs are going to be bought by industry at the lowest price possible. That's why we need legal barriers or tariffs to prevent slave produced goods and services from entering our country and disadvantaging our workers. Asian produced seafood is of terrible quality and I'm sure produced in sewage but their farmed fish and shell fish compete head to head with our wild caught or least reasonably clean domestic fish and shellfish. I would just imagine their vegetables are fertilized with human excrement. Those folks need all they can produce. Let them eat it. Also when I talk to someone on the phone it is about 1/2 the time an East Indian with very poor English skills. I assume they are in some squalid Indian call center struggling to understand me as I am to understand them. As to manufactured goods. They have to be produced by near slave labor with no safety regulations or injury compensation or they could not import raw materials and return finished products cheaper than we could make the same product without paying for a ship ride round trip. I believe Mr. Trump is looking at this and wonder what's in this arrangement for us.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think America became less of a production nation for several reasons, cost of labor, lawsuits, insurance, facility costs and above all, regulations. There was a foundry in our little town that hired about twenty people. They were casting iron and steel. Environmental regulations forced them move to casting brass and bronze and eventually put them out of business. I read here on the fire one reason shoes are no longer made in this country is the glue they use has been outlawed. No more lead mining in this country. Therefore production moves to countries where they are less regulated.
Before we can become a competitive producer a lot of regulations are going to have to change.

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Truth be told...I think both will grow. Sounds crazy but our service folks are finally being appreciated and our production is finally being missed

GOD Bless America
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 45_100
I think America became less of a production nation for several reasons, cost of labor, lawsuits, insurance, facility costs and above all, regulations. There was a foundry in our little town that hired about twenty people. They were casting iron and steel. Environmental regulations forced them move to casting brass and bronze and eventually put them out of business. I read here on the fire one reason shoes are no longer made in this country is the glue they use has been outlawed. No more lead mining in this country. Therefore production moves to countries where they are less regulated.
Before we can become a competitive producer a lot of regulations are going to have to change.

There are high grade lead/silver mines still operating in the USA. No smelters, but there are lead mines, I've worked in them and live next to some that are still operating in Idaho and there's one in Admirlity Island Alaska and there is the large Red Dog mine in Alaska. There's still a lead smelter located at Trail B.C.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hastings

Price is what drives a capitalistic economy. But national security is an important and necessary factor that has taken a back seat to profit. I think there’s gonna be a changing of priorities after C-19. It’s an eye opener.

DF

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I agree with what folks are getting at here and saying that major changes, new regulations, and support of domestic production needs to take precident. The reality is that those with the ability and means to make this happen have no real interests to do so. They are fine and dandy as long as they are allow to status quo to continue.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The whole theory that America can remain strong functioning as a “service economy”, is ridiculous. Mowing lawns, shuffling papers, and providing healthcare may be hallmarks of a wealthy nation, but they don’t MAKE a nation wealthy.

You’ve got to have natural resources (we do) and a strong manufacturing sector (we’re losing it) to maintain wealth as a nation.

Politicians and businessmen looking to line their own pockets have “sold out” manufacturing in this country, screwing millions of blue collar folks out of decent paying jobs and creating millions of “wards” of the welfare state.

Would you rather pay a few dollars more for some shoes made in America, creating a good-paying American job, or “save a few bucks” (China made) to line some middle-man businessman’s pockets, and STILL have to support that American citizen (who can’t find a manufacturing job, and isn’t “college material”), who now sits on their rear, instead of working???

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You're right, we gotta make stuff here..

Trump is talking about tariffs on imported oil. That would help stabilize the global oil market and get our domestic production back to where it was. Oil needs to be stabilized at around $50 a barrel, which is the price point below which our exploration dries up. We can't be held hostage to a Russia/Saudi oil war. Their dumping kills the market.

And, he should order anything having to do with national security be made domestically. For example, Beretta had to make the M9 pistol for the Army in MD, not Italy.

Antibiotics/medication are very important to our national security, as are a host of other products. Bringing off shore mfg back home has been a Trump battle cry. He won't waste this crisis.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/05/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fburgtx
The whole theory that America can remain strong functioning as a “service economy”, is ridiculous. Mowing lawns, shuffling papers, and providing healthcare may be hallmarks of a wealthy nation, but they don’t MAKE a nation wealthy.

You’ve got to have natural resources (we do) and a strong manufacturing sector (we’re losing it) to maintain wealth as a nation.

Politicians and businessmen looking to line their own pockets have “sold out” manufacturing in this country, screwing millions of blue collar folks out of decent paying jobs and creating millions of “wards” of the welfare state.

Would you rather pay a few dollars more for some shoes made in America, creating a good-paying American job, or “save a few bucks” (China made) to line some middle-man businessman’s pockets, and STILL have to support that American citizen (who can’t find a manufacturing job, and isn’t “college material”), who now sits on their rear, instead of working???

PREZACTLY !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember hearing about this "service economy" business as far back as 1980. I thought it was insane then, even though I was yet an inexperienced pup. I guess the blind squirrel found a nut that day. Or night. Not sure.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one country should have a monopoly on any product we need. Communist countries should rot in hell not become stronger off our people and money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by fburgtx

PREZACTLY !!!

While I agree, what do you do about the inevitable inflation? Will consumers go back saving a buck a Wallmart rather than buy American?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.