24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 15 years ago, I listened to my fellow campers and bought a lifetime supply of beeswax on Ebay. I'd previously been a Sno-Seal addict, and found myself replacing it on a fairly regular basis-- once or twice per season. Beeswax? I'd melt it in with a heat gun and in some cases, I've had it on for 15 years without a leak.

Yes, it's not a good thing on Goretex, but once the Goretex goes, it's just as good if not better.

My last date with the heat gun was 5 years ago. Those boots have had zero leaks. One of these is a pair of Wolverine Wellington boots are my everyday boots for Winter. The soles are starting to go, but the leather is fine and I've slogged through snow and slush without a leak.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Anyone fount that Mink Oil is difficult to find these days?

Maybe they relabeled it to appease the rabid leftys who abhor using mink for pelts or anything else.

Kiwi changed to "conditioning oil" which doesn't smell like mink oil..

Ever smelt real mink oil (fat)? I wouldn't want my boots to smell like that. I grew up on a small mink operation my dad owned. I've skinned 1000s of mink in my life. They stink! smile

SC,
That was a thought I had. Also maybe that it is more expensive to obtain since Fur has been vilified and now less popular in "blue" areas...

Real mink oil operation? No.
My roommate was in the agricultural program and his girlfriend preferred my room as it smelled like a tack shop. (That is when I would oil weekly)...

Dansy,

You are talking about neetsfoot?
Never really noticed a smell,
Bearfat I could see,
Mink Oil too...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Regardless of treatment, I do my applications on a sunny, hot, July or August day by first placing the boots out in direct and very warm sunlight. Not the type of weather one is typically thinking of snow seal or whatever, but they really warm up then and absorb stuff.

Once had a distant neighbor insist black bear grease with the cat's ass for my Whites going so far as to do an application for me. Smelled like road kill for about 2 months. Never again.

Smell is one of my prime considerations in a boot treatment and probably why I like something with pine tar in it. My mother used to render goose grease and treated the leather boots we wore to school. Saying the smell was like road kill would be understating reality. Then, our school has heat in the floors. I'd sit there with the smell rising all morning and kids moving away like I'd just schidt my pants.

D
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Anyone fount that Mink Oil is difficult to find these days?

Maybe they relabeled it to appease the rabid leftys who abhor using mink for pelts or anything else.

Kiwi changed to "conditioning oil" which doesn't smell like mink oil..

Ever smelt real mink oil (fat)? I wouldn't want my boots to smell like that. I grew up on a small mink operation my dad owned. I've skinned 1000s of mink in my life. They stink! smile

SC,
That was a thought I had. Also maybe that it is more expensive to obtain since Fur has been vilified and now less popular in "blue" areas...

Real mink oil operation? No.
My roommate was in the agricultural program and his girlfriend preferred my room as it smelled like a tack shop. (That is when I would oil weekly)...

Dansy,

You are talking about neetsfoot?
Never really noticed a smell,
Bearfat I could see,
Mink Oil too...

Yeah neetsfoot. As I remember it did not smell much but put your nose to it and it smelled like fat or fryer grease, sure the bear could smell it from a ways away. Maybe I just got a stinky batch?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mink oil is neatsfoot oil which is the synovial fluid in cow hooves. It is the slightly sticky, clear liquid in the joint in horses, deer and other hooved animals. It is pretty much odorless.

Lots of people do not need or want truly waterproof leather. If they do, there is nothing to match beeswax. Further, the leather lasts far, far longer.

Also, water-soaked leather boots get loose and sloppy and in many cases they are dangerous to walk in.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks SD,

I have always encountered Mink Oil in a paste form, I guess KIwi added something to theirs...

Neatsfoot I always see in an amber liquid form.

I have used various types of wax when forming holsters after wet molding. I can see how the increased pliability could ruin a pair of boots when they are wet..I have trashed more than one set of split grain timberland style (tan with padded ankle) workboots from rain and mud...

-OMotS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oldmanof the Sea, Herman Survivor the boot company makes mink oil, I just bought some the other day in Walmart.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
D
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Mink oil is neatsfoot oil which is the synovial fluid in cow hooves. It is the slightly sticky, clear liquid in the joint in horses, deer and other hooved animals. It is pretty much odorless.

Lots of people do not need or want truly waterproof leather. If they do, there is nothing to match beeswax. Further, the leather lasts far, far longer.

Also, water-soaked leather boots get loose and sloppy and in many cases they are dangerous to walk in.

Have you tried birch tar oil?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you in the birch tar oil business? You should send a sample to one of our prolific posters/gear reviewers.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dansy
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Have you tried birch tar oil?

Not as the form you mention, but it is just typical phenols like those used in MT Pitch Blend and they are delivered by using solvents which are an indication the dressing is not as good as plain beeswax delivered by melting into the leather.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quick peek at Wiki says:
It is composed of phenols such as guaiacol, cresol, xylenol, and creosol.

I have used MPB and think it is among the best, but a long way short of wax.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Oldmanof the Sea, Herman Survivor the boot company makes mink oil, I just bought some the other day in Walmart.

Thanks.I didnt find any when I was looking but got some of the Angelus polish Co. stuff.

It just says "Genuine Mink Oil" on the tub no list of ingredients though there was a product sheet on their website I forget what it said...

-OMotS

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.