Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sure would like to have this:

1941 M70 Super Grade .280

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
High Noon: Get after it!
YOU.... only live once!
About thirty years ago I put together a very similar Rifle.
I chose the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action to build on for the obvious reasons (strength, safety, reliability, classiness, holds a lot of bullets and is extremely "handsome"). My Rifle has a 25" semi-heavy barrel in caliber 280 Remington. It is very accurate and I have taken lots of game with mine including Antelope, Mule Deer, Bull Elk, Black Bear and Whitetailed Deer with it, to date. And before my last sun rises I hope to Hunt Caribou with it.
The "Transition Model" action I chose for my build was actually made in the same month I was born - July 1947.
I left my small lever factory safety lever on the Rifle as it came from the factory - this factory transition safety is just "impossible" to "accidentally" move - in either direction.
I love my Rifle and I love the caliber - again I say, buy it and rock on.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Varmint: Sounds like a great rifle ya' got there - & one that's certainly effective. Although I'd love to get this particular .280 Super Grade, I really can't justify the ~ $2,600.00 expenditure right now. Lot's of other expenses are in the pipeline right now.

I did find a new & rather nice M70 Featherweight in .280 for $899.00 I'm considering, though... eek

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/06/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
"R. I. Martel, Denver, Colorado"

Anyone have information on the smith?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s been there a while. It’s a nice gun. I’ve definitely been tempted, especially given the chambering.
I also know nothing of the maker ...
Edit - posted at same time as NYR; same question!

Last edited by AKwolverine; 04/06/20. Reason: Like minds
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'd be happy w/ that .280 Featherweight I found, but that custom Super Grade is very nice indeed.

- Del Gue
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
High Noon: I have several Hunting partners that use and own multiples of the "new style" Model 70 Featherweights and they are sure happy with them.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Pretty sure that barrel stamp is Mark Chanlynn's. Just guessing, I bet it was a 7x57 that was rechambered, hence the inset caliber stamp. Mark was working out of a shop in Boulder, Colorado during the 1980's. I lived in Denver from 1972-1988 and I never heard of R. I. Martel, but that doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by easttex; 04/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll get a pre '64 one day. The problem is that I'm not getting any younger.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure is purdy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I see nothing that would make me think this rifle was/is a Super Grade. Those floor plates stamped Super Grade were readily available at Colorado gun shows throughout the '80's. I think they were even available from Winchester after they ran out of standard grade floor plates. There might have also been a little counterfeiting done to create Super Grade lettering. Original barrel is gone, original swivel studs are gone, original stock is gone. I think the seller got carried away calling this a Super Grade.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You're probably right.

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a true SG, the action should have an "S" stamped into the bottom of the recoil lug

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't know enough about them to comment, but I agree that it would be easy enough to put a SG floorplate on it and call it "Super Grade," even though everything else about it has been changed: barrel, bolt (I already asked), stock, etc. I don't think the seller is actually trying to sell it as a SG, in spite of what the GB account says, just as a customized M70.

Nice ribbons and FdL, though.

Just my $.02.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't believe it matters whether or not the rifle is a Super Grade action.

Even if it is, the original barrel is gone, as is the stock thereby negating any collector value.

The true value lies in purchasing a well stocked rifle, with a quality stick of walnut, at a price that cannot be duplicated.

Jim - to carve a stock from a blank of that quality would be what - at least $4500?

It's a bargain at that price.

A bit heavy for my taste, but a bargain nonetheless.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Explain to me why a pre-64 Model 70 is better than a post-93 Model 70.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Where in this thread was that claim made?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a Lenard Brownell M70 Custom. If someone would be kind enough to post pics, can email a link.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I don't believe it matters whether or not the rifle is a Super Grade action.

Even if it is, the original barrel is gone, as is the stock thereby negating any collector value.

The true value lies in purchasing a well stocked rifle, with a quality stick of walnut, at a price that cannot be duplicated.

Jim - to carve a stock from a blank of that quality would be what - at least $4500?

It's a bargain at that price.

A bit heavy for my taste, but a bargain nonetheless.

Agree entirely. That it was once a supergrade (or has supergrade parts) has no influence on its current value in my eyes.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by easttex
Pretty sure that barrel stamp is Mark Chanlynn's. Just guessing, I bet it was a 7x57 that was rechambered, hence the inset caliber stamp. Mark was working out of a shop in Boulder, Colorado during the 1980's. I lived in Denver from 1972-1988 and I never heard of R. I. Martel, but that doesn't mean anything.

Interesting!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/932167

Thanks for that info easttex. I thought it was M.A.G. Looks like the “G” is a “C”.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.