-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy with my Dillon 550C, and with options I think they are 800 or so, less dies. Mine really cranks ammo.
You are buying time. I can get done in an hour that used to take a day.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick, looks to me like the operative word is “machine”?

Somewhere back 50 years or so I purchased a Rockchucker. It’s been opening doors since for the cost of a set of dies. Only progressive press I use is a MEC 9000 for a 20 ga. It came into my life when I was shooting 12-16k shells/year. Other stuff for pistols and rifles gets done here and there when I have little else to do. Clean 200-300 cases today, prep them tomorrow, load 50 here, 100 there etc. It’s a nice hobby, but mass production isn’t part of my menu.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by RickBin
I don't consider myself a penny pincher, but that's the number I get when, after a lot of research, I place the items I think I am going to need to get set up to reload a single caliber, .45 ACP, in the shopping cart of a popular reloading manufacturer.

At a rough savings of $0.10 / round reloaded over factory (under normal circumstances), that means 13,089 rounds of .45 ACP before I break even, and an initial cash outlay of a couple grand in equipment and components to get there.

By all accounts, it's a great machine, capable of loading many other calibers, but adding equipment to make the press capable of loading another caliber can be, again, a couple hundred bucks per caliber.

I'd like to load .223, .257 Wby, .6.5 Creedmoor, .270, 7-08, .308, .30-06, .300 Win, .380, 9mm, 10mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, and .45 ACP, at LEAST.

Somebody pull me off the ledge, or push me over, please.

I could make a couple calls and probably get you everything you need gratis.

Dear Santa,

I want a new digital powder thrower.

Love,

Beaver ❤️😂

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have everything to load 45s, 40, 38 super. Dillon 550, we use to shoot 3-4000 rounds a week between my dad and i back in the 80s 90s so it was worth it. also have everything to cast bullets.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't consider myself a penny pincher, but that's the number I get when, after a lot of research, I place the items I think I am going to need to get set up to reload a single caliber, .45 ACP, in the shopping cart of a popular reloading manufacturer.

At a rough savings of $0.10 / round reloaded over factory (under normal circumstances), that means 13,089 rounds of .45 ACP before I break even, and an initial cash outlay of a couple grand in equipment and components to get there.

By all accounts, it's a great machine, capable of loading many other calibers, but adding equipment to make the press capable of loading another caliber can be, again, a couple hundred bucks per caliber.

I'd like to load .223, .257 Wby, .6.5 Creedmoor, .270, 7-08, .308, .30-06, .300 Win, .380, 9mm, 10mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, and .45 ACP, at LEAST.

did you factor in the value of the machines and tooling when you sell it? Probably $20 at least smile

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to shoot more, and reloaded since I was a kid.
NEVER was for cost savings, was just to get the most accurate hunting round per rifle.
Have a couple rifles that do well enough w factory ammo.

I do miss sitting in the basement chilling out crafting ammo.
That and casting bullets.

Great crappy weather activities.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

WTF????

Uh you are buying the wrong machine.

Do you handload the above calibers already?

Do you have the die sets?

I am guessing you are looking at a Dillon press?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We used to load .45 ACP on a RCBS Jr, for a Thompson SMG.
Go through a weeks work in 10 minutes, pick up brass for an hour and go home.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Really?

You guys cant save money by reloading?

We don't all have the free slave labor you have......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I made the jump to a dedicated press for handguns, I went with the Dillon 550.

I thought it was the best compromise of money vs speed.

But I had no desire to load rifle ammo on mine, as I lean more towards the precision aspect of loading for those.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Rick, I don't know which progressive reloading machine you are looking at, but if you just concentrate on reloading handgun calibers, the Dillion Square Deal B would probably be a lot less than the number you just quoted. On the other hand if you want to reloading rifle calibers too, just go ahead and jump into the dep end of the pool and get a Dillion 750XL, configured how you want it. i don't think that it will get cheaper in the future. Thirty years ago I chose a Dillion 650 and I have not regretted that choice, I load 9mm and 5.56mm on it. Regarding the rifle calibers, for cartridges like 300 Win mag or 257 Wby, do you really need to crank out hundreds of rounds of ammo, the main reason for using a progressive reloader or would a single stage or turret press suffice for those cartridges.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have to love reloading and believe the reloaded 45 ammo was that much better than factory ammo to be worth the money and the time it took to reload it. You'd be reloading when you could be shooting.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
With the availability of cheap steel cases Soviet ammo reloading pistol makes no sense imho.

The Russian stuff while a bit dirty is very reliable and incredibly accurate. Who wants to chase pistol brass around anyways...

GOD Bless America
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Continue to load the 257Wby and 300Win single-stage. Prep all your bottle-neck cases on your single stage, tumble, then prime, powder, and seat with the Dillon. For straight-wall pistol cases, just do it all on the 550. Ball/spherical powders are your friend. Ramshot Hunter in the 270 and '06. Big Game or '15 in the CreedMoor, 7-08, and 308. '15 is the only extruded powder I've had good luck running through my Dillons. +/- .02gn w/'15. +/- .01gn w/ball/spherical.

With prepped brass I can run 100 bottle-neck cases in just under 15min.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kingston

I could make a couple calls and probably get you everything you need gratis.

Rick do this. I was swayed into the Hornady system years ago whilst still in Cali. The 1000 .45 XTPs gratis is what swayed me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Damn, I thought that was the ransom amount to be paid to free Flave.....

I already had my penny stash counted out...

Were I to have remained a California resident, I would have definitely bought reloading gear for handgun ammo. There is a 100% certainty that the state will continue to focus on making ammo as hard to get as possible, and the background check crap is just the first real shot across the bow. I suspect that within 5 years, you will not only have to go through a background check to buy ammo, you'll be limited to something like 100 rounds a month and will have to account for every round. They're going to make it so even the most careful person violates the law and loses his rights.

Granted, they'll also probably start regulating the sale of primers, powder and projectiles, but that will be a lot harder to enforce. The ammo bans are low hanging fruit for the nanny state.

Last edited by Remsen; 04/06/20.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back when me, dad and bro were shooting sporting clays (2 leagues), trap and skeet - got pretty good at loading cheap.

Then realized that no matter how cheap we got, and assuming our time was FREE, we still couldn't beat the price per box if you ordered a pallet at a time. Literally a pallet of 12 gauge cases on the back of a truck. Rio IIRC

You might be there - if you got the volume, storage and up front cash.

ETA: That was 20 years ago. Don't know the spread now - loads to pallet quantities but it's worth looking at.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Dillon 650.

getting it setup and dialed in is a PITA, but once it's on... it rocks. in just a few evenings, I can kick out 1k+ rounds.

I dont use it for bolt rifles, but my pistols and high volume rifles.... absolutely.

it ROCKS on 45acp. smile making 9mm is a bigger PITA for some reason.

also use it for 38spl and 357, less frequently.

I once had an RCBS 4x4 press that I didnt like at all. far more finicky/rickety.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Rick, I don't know which progressive reloading machine you are looking at, but if you just concentrate on reloading handgun calibers, the Dillion Square Deal B would probably be a lot less than the number you just quoted. On the other hand if you want to reloading rifle calibers too, just go ahead and jump into the dep end of the pool and get a Dillion 750XL, configured how you want it. i don't think that it will get cheaper in the future. Thirty years ago I chose a Dillion 650 and I have not regretted that choice, I load 9mm and 5.56mm on it. Regarding the rifle calibers, for cartridges like 300 Win mag or 257 Wby, do you really need to crank out hundreds of rounds of ammo, the main reason for using a progressive reloader or would a single stage or turret press suffice for those cartridges.

Yeah for rifle cartridges I think I opened the door with the .223. Can't imagine needing to reload in those quantities for .257 Wby, or .300 WM under normal circumstances. And yes, all my precision stuff will remain on the Rockchucker either way. But at some point, if all I need are dies ... I dunno.

Originally Posted by Quak
With the availability of cheap steel cases Soviet ammo reloading pistol makes no sense imho.

The Russian stuff while a bit dirty is very reliable and incredibly accurate. Who wants to chase pistol brass around anyways...

Duly noted. Handguns are the primary reason I am contemplating this move, and it's not just about saving money, but nevertheless, duly noted.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't jump!!

You best get to pullin' that Handle son you ain't got time to type, you got a long way to go..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

721 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,095 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.