Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OXN939
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I'm not questioning the quality of the bullets, I am still dancing with this business of pure copper being an alloy.

Fair enough. Truly, I'm no metallurgist, but as long as projectiles look like this, group fantastically, and have no other negative side effects, I'm not too concerned about what percentage metals are combined to make it happen.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

(80 grain Barnes GMX out of a .243, for those wondering)

How did you recover the bullet? I've been using them for about 30 years and have never recovered a bullet except the ones from the berm behind my target stand. Mostly deer, some elk and a bunch of plains game.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’m wondering if barnes should move to more pedals and maybe it would make for easier opening ? As in less force required to bend the pedals back ?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dre
I’m wondering if barnes should move to more pedals and maybe it would make for easier opening ? As in less force required to bend the pedals back ?

That's what the plastic tips in the TTSX are for.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by OXN939
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I'm not questioning the quality of the bullets, I am still dancing with this business of pure copper being an alloy.

Fair enough. Truly, I'm no metallurgist, but as long as projectiles look like this, group fantastically, and have no other negative side effects, I'm not too concerned about what percentage metals are combined to make it happen.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

(80 grain Barnes GMX out of a .243, for those wondering)

How did you recover the bullet? I've been using them for about 30 years and have never recovered a bullet except the ones from the berm behind my target stand. Mostly deer, some elk and a bunch of plains game.

I have recovered a number of them.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Dre

That's what the plastic tips in the TTSX are for.

Trust me, I understand that.
But you can’t argue if there were 6 pedals, that is less force required to bend/peel them back vs 4.
Maybe not optimal up close. But further out...maybe a good thing.
Insist to be clear.
Not picking on Ttsx! I use ttsx exclusively for elk in my 06. Never recovered a single bullet. From 40-400 yards. It’s my go to.
I also load it in 270 and and LRX in 6.5 CM

Last edited by Dre; 04/07/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
On the other hand more petals means they are less resistant to shedding than the heavier 4 petal design. Just playing devils advocate as like others I have caught few Barnes and no Hornaday or Noslers so far. Barnes does use more petals on their muzzle loading and pistol bullets and a few others like for slower velocity cartridges.

I think Hammer has combined the best of all the monos into their design. The relief groove or driving bands are tapered on the ogive side for less wind resistance, most have six petals, the BC on their heavier bullets is pretty good for not having a polymer or other tip. Most reports are they are extremely reliable.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Quote: Most reports are they are extremely reliable.

And Accurate......rumor has it! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blacktailer,

My wife and I have also recovered some Barnes X's over the years, from the original model to TSXs and TTSXs. In fact Eileen got two 100-grain .25s back in a row one fall, from a cow elk and doe pronghorn she killed with her NULA .257 Roberts. The pronghorn, of course, was a lengthwise shot, from the front.

Also have a pretty good collection of other recovered "petal" bullets, including the Combined Technology Fail Safe (which Eileen and I both used a lot more than the very early X-Bullets, because they were more accurate), Hornady GMX and Nosler E-Tip. Oh, and a 40-grain Cutting Edge Raptor that Eileen used to drop a pronghorn with a .22-250.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve recovered TSX, TTSX and LRX bullets. 160gr TSX from a 7mm Rem Mag, 175gr LRX from a .300 WSM, 225gr TSX from a .35 Whelen and even a 250gr TTSX from a .375 Ruger. All from Moose.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.