Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A couple miles down the road from me are these large buildings that were built in the last couple of years. I assumed they were for potato storage as there are many others like that around here. There's no sign out front to identify them. Then this article appeared in today's paper. Now we know. Very interesting.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

Q: There are three buildings on 3700 North that store bees through the winter. How?

A: “We use our buildings to over-winter bees that come from all over the U.S.,” said Tenney Lamoreaux, manager of Bee Storages in Filer. “The bee death rate in the U.S. is nearing crisis levels. Our bee storage warehouses help beekeepers protect and save thousands of bee colonies each year. We are the first to build buildings for the singular purpose of saving bees.”

Bees are dying because of “changing farming cultural practices and Varroa mites.” According to BeeAware, Varroa mites are external parasites that mainly feed and reproduce on larvae and pupae, causing “scattered brood, crippled and crawling honey bees, impaired flight performance, a lower rate of return to the colony after foraging, a reduced lifespan and a significantly reduced weight of worker bees.”

Crops are dependent on pollination from bees.

“Our climate-controlled Bee Storages maintains the environment inside the builds precisely where the bees need it to be to safely spend the winter months dormant,” Lamoreaux said. “This allows them to rest and heal and prepare for spring. We help our beekeepers save as many as 30% more of their bee colonies that they were previously losing each year.”

The loss rate at Bee Storages is on average 10%.

“We have about 120,000 square feet of climate-controlled storage, which is contained at 40 degrees,” Lamoreaux said. “The bees are dormant inside the building. They are insulated to maintain the temperature and to protect the bees from the elements.”

The three warehouses can house 115,000 colonies, as many as 13 billion bees.

“Our beekeepers come from all over the U.S.: North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Minnesota, Texas and California,” Lamoreaux said. Most commercial beekeepers pay trucking companies to ship their bees to warm-weather states like California or Texas.

The company used potato storage equipment and technology to convert it to storing bees with commercial refrigeration units to keep the temperature low. Building began in 2016 with completion in 2019.

“During the spring and summer months, we use the buildings to store RVs and boats,” he said. “Customers that want to protect their RVs or boats from the sun or don’t have room to keep them at their house, bring them to us for temporary storage. Our buildings have very tall ceilings and huge doors making it possible to store boats and RVs indoors without taking anything apart.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That is pretty interesting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Isn't that what they were doing in the 1st X-Files movie?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fema camps...... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool bees? I like. They’re swarming my yard at the moment, pollinating my weeds. Hot headed li’l bastids.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Cool bees? I like. They’re swarming my yard at the moment, pollinating my weeds. Hot headed li’l bastids.

Have we possibly found something DD is a-scared of? Buzz bee 🐝.

😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by irfubar
Fema camps...... smile

FREE THE BEEEEEE!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bees have had a tough time over the past few years; colony collapse disorder has affected colonies of much needed bees. Hopefully such buildings will help rebuild the bee population.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be interesting to see inside too.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Most likely it's just a 3 acre open space so trucks and forklifts can easily operate. The floor could be dirt or concrete.

― George Orwell

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bet that place is really buzzin' at times...... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar
Fema camps...... smile

No, Beema camps

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You know whats silly?

The fact that California needs to import bees.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most likely it's just a 3 acre open space so trucks and forklifts can easily operate.

I bet those vibrations get them going!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, sure they are! We all really know the bees are the secret symbol of the Masons! It was only a matter of time until they got Rock Chuck as a hapless mouthpiece of their world domination plans in combination with the trilateral commission, FEMA and the most dastardly and nefarious overlooked organization, the Local Order of the Moose . eek wink grin

Seriously cool actually that people are working the problem of colony collapse. Despite bees not being native to North America we can't live without them now.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
That's how you get rich. Figure out what people need and provide a solution. I wish that I was smart enough to think of that...or anything useful for that matter...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard of those bee problems and knew it was from some kind of mite. Are those mites another Chinese import ? If not; then how did that mite problem start ?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Pugs
Oh, sure they are! We all really know the bees are the secret symbol of the Masons! It was only a matter of time until they got Rock Chuck as a hapless mouthpiece of their world domination plans in combination with the trilateral commission, FEMA and the most dastardly and nefarious overlooked organization, the Local Order of the Moose . eek wink grin

Seriously cool actually that people are working the problem of colony collapse. Despite bees not being native to North America we can't live without them now.

Not native, I would love to see the source! I find that statement interesting!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pugs

I'm not a Mason. I'm the Honored BlueBack of the United Society of Bee Eaters.

[Linked Image from phoochan.com]

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Bees can kill people.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.