Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
My office window overlooks a pretty little crick, I looked out to see what the mallards were doing and I saw a huge squirrel up in one of the big willow trees. Looked a little closer and it is a reddish mink. I have seen mink go up trees which were leaning but this tree is as straight as a power pole. He/she was about 18-20 feet in the air and was obviously hunting. It ran around on the branches for a bit and then came down - head first - stopped for a minute or two and then ran down and crossed the creek to a brush pile.

Mink weren't real common in my neck of the woods when I was trapping but there were some, and I have never seen anything like this. Have I just lived a sheltered life or is this a rare occurrence?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Catch them sometimes in vertical marten sets, so yes.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
YUP !! My Dad used to run coon dogs and would complain about mink in the tree

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks guys! I have learned yet another thing during this time of quarantine.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty adept climbers, and when on the prowl they give everything a thorough look. Couple seasons back I was fishing in front of camp and had waded out about 20 ft from the bank. A mink came along the shore and spent maybe 20 minutes exploring every possible nook and cranny in camp. Even crawled into the drift boat and double checked every bag, wader, boot, or whatever therein.

Had one kill a great blue heron above camp a day or so later. The bird flew in and landed and must of just put down where the mink happened to be. Grabbed it by the neck and either choked or drowned it with about a 90 second battle. Mink was trying to haul it beneath a cut bank when I went up to see what the ruckus was about.

1Minute
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
A couple years ago a mink had a litter of kits under the little bridge about a 100ft from my office. I got a real education about mink that year. The mortality of the kits is very high and she lost 3 of the 4 she had before they were half grown. The creek always had a population of huge bullfrogs and tadpoles. She cleaned them out. She also cleaned out the voles and baby muskrats in the nearby swamp and every baby rabbit in the neighborhood. I never saw her bring in a bird of any kind. I was always curious as to what happened to her kits. They just disappeared one at a time.

Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fishing a tributary creek to the Truckee River about 60 years ago . caught a nice brown trout about 16 inches long. suddenly had the fight of my life on a rod. Mink jumped out , grabbed that trout and fought me till the line broke. never forgot that.

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/09/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker
fishing a tributary creek to the Truckee River about 60 years ago . caught a nice brown trout about 16 inches long. suddenly had the fight of my life on a rod. Mink jumped out , grabbed that trout and fought me till the line broke. never forgot that.

He'd probably been waiting all day for you to catch a fish so he could mug you.

grin

Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
little sucker growled like a Rottweiler ! ticked me off. I could have sold that fish to a tourist for a couple bucks

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have seen woodchucks in trees before, and if they can do it, a mink surely can.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a large mink steal a stringer of trout that I caught. He took it under a cut bank and I couldn't get ahold of it. Must have taken it in a muskrat den for his fish dinner. I caught more trout that day. But from that day on I gill & gut my trout and they go in my Coleman cooler on ice. No more mink thefts after I hauled the cooler with me.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Probably a liberal democrat mink. Why work for what you can steal from someone else.

Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah they'll climb trees and they're pretty good at it l. Even groundhogs climb trees too

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Caught one mink in a Marten box. First wood chuck I ever saw was in a tree, they are pretty rare here.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW when I was doing my trapping in college, squirrel was THE favored bait for mink,soooo....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
FWIW when I was doing my trapping in college, squirrel was THE favored bait for mink,soooo....

Really?

We used muskrat and maybe some fish oil. If we found a toilet maker, I’d put a couple traps by it and some commercial scent we called fish oil…

Kaywoodie

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.