Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Acting Navy secretary is out after bungled firing of USS Theodore Roosevelt's captain

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...shandling-virus-plagued-ship/2963986001/

Last edited by WoodsyAl; 04/07/20.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Schiett. Unreal

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Maybe more than one lapse in judgement... at least the Captain's is excusable (to me) for protecting his command, if it WAS he who gave his memo to the rag.

No excuse for Modly- that was sheer hubris.

Last edited by las; 04/07/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good riddance.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks one of those middle manager types for Krispy Kreme, that comes up with winning promotional ideas like green donuts on St Pat’s day.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So he got a call ...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by las
Maybe more than one lapse in judgement... at least the Captain's is excusable (to me) for protecting his command, if it WAS he who gave his memo to the rag.

No excuse for Modly- that was sheer hubris.

This is where I am at. I am 50/50 whether the Commander was getting stone walled and intentionally leaked the doc to help his crew, or, someone in his upline with an ax to grind leaked it knowing it would flow back to the commander. As stated in the link above, I think there is more investigating that needs to be done.

As far as Modly, very juvenile. When you terminate someone, you make the decision, do the deed, move on. You don't fly half way around the world to "explain yourself" and denigrate the person you fired in the process.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
seems like both of those guys exercised some pretty poor judgement.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r

I'll give the captain a bogy on this one, he was given a chit sandwich by command and I believe he was looking out for the best interest of the crew. I really don't know if there were better options available or not.

The secnav was a turd, he had to go after his comments on the captain.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by rem141r

I'll give the captain a bogy on this one, he was given a chit sandwich by command and I believe he was looking out for the best interest of the crew. I really don't know if there were better options available or not.

The secnav was a turd, he had to go after his comments on the captain.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If the Captain sent (leaked) his letter to the paper, I’m sure it was not a lapse, but done intentionally to help the crew. Still not it was he, and not someone sandbagging him.

Morley was in over his head.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What it looks like to me after the other shoe dropping is that Crozier bumped it up the CoC to the on board admiral and Modly said no way it will embarrass the president. Crozier did what he had to and Modly got pissed. Modly acted out and no one in the navy was going to save his ass.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You'd have thought with a ship of some 5,000 crew members they'd of had at least a 30' plank for that [bleep] to walk.

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since the OP link does not allow viewing with adblocker...

Acting Navy Secretary Modly resigns
PAUL SZOLDRAUPDATED:APR 7, 2020 5:55 PM EDTORIGINAL:APR 7, 2020
Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly resigned Tuesday after traveling nearly 8,000 miles to Guam to berate thousands of sailors on Monday, later saying he stood "by every word," and then subsequently apologizing for the remarks within the span of about eight hours.

Modly submitted his resignation a day after audio of his speech on the carrier was published by Task & Purpose. James McPherson, Undersecretary of the Army, will be tapped to replace Modly, a defense official told Task & Purpose.

"This morning I accepted Secretary Modly's resignation," Defense Secretary Mark Esper wrote in a memo he tweeted Tuesday afternoon. "He resigned on his own accord, putting the Navy and the sailors above self so that the USS Theodore Roosevelt, and the Navy as an institution, can move forward."

In a memo sent to the entire force shortly before his resignation, Modly apologized for his actions, saying that he lacked situational awareness and let his emotions get the better of him. "The crew deserved a lot more empathy and a lot less lecturing," Modly wrote. " ... I disappointed you by not keeping our ship out of harm’s way. It’s my fault. I own it."

Modly, who came into the job after his predecessor was forced out for going against President Trump during the Eddie Gallagher affair, faced intense pressure to resign over his handling of the situation on the USS Theodore Roosevelt, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier which quickly went from having three COVID-19 cases to hundreds among a crew of nearly 5,000 sailors after a port visit to Vietnam in early March.

Modly spoke over the ship's intercom for roughly 15 minutes on Monday, chastising sailors who enthusiastically cheered for their captain, Capt. Brett Crozier, as he departed the ship. In his remarks, Modly said Crozier was either "too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer" of their ship since a letter he wrote to Navy leadership subsequently leaked to the press.

Crozier was relieved of command over the leaked letter, in which he pleaded with senior leadership to allow the evacuation of his sailors from the ship since social distancing is practically impossible.

"Crew of the Teddy Roosevelt, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," Modly said. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it. You are under no obligation, you are under no obligation to expect anything from your leaders other than they will treat you fairly and put the mission of the ship first."

“That's your duty,” Modly continued. “Not to complain. Everyone is scared about this thing. And let me tell ya something, if this ship was in combat and there were hypersonic missiles coming in at it, you'd be pretty [bleep] scared too. But you do your jobs. And that's what I expect you to. And that's what I expect every officer on this ship to do, is to do your jobs.”

Several Democratic lawmakers on Monday called for Modly's resignation, while President Donald Trump said he might intervene. Under pressure from Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Modly apologized late Monday.

Meanwhile, Modly also wrote a response to an op-ed published in The New York Times by Tweed Roosevelt, great grandson to Theodore Roosevelt, in which he called Crozier a "hero." The response by Modly was published and later deleted from The Navy's Live Blog, though it still appears on The Times website.

On Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi joined other lawmakers in calling for Modly's removal. "Modly's actions and words demonstrate his failure to prioritize the force protection of our troops," Pelosi said in a statement, adding that he showed a "serious lack of sound judgment and strong leadership."

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, applauded Modly's resignation and asked for a "thorough review" of the actions of Navy leadership and if The White House played any role in the Crozier's ouster.

"Congress must continue pressing for answers to ensure the health and safety of our sailors and troops comes before political considerations," Reed said in a statement.

Haley Britzky contributed reporting.

TAGSNEWSU.S. NAVYACTING NAVY SECRETARY THOMAS MODLYCAPT. BRETT CROZIERUSS THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Paul Szoldra
BY PAUL SZOLDRA
Paul Szoldra is the editor in chief of Task & Purpose and a former Marine infantryman. Reach him paultaskandpurpose.com or on Twitter: @paulszoldra

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whoops, link to above website:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/modly-fired

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He was stupid!
Well, bye!

It is political at that level.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Isn't the operational preparedness of a carrier at sea considered classified information?

Shouldn't the captain's messages be sent through secured channels?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Mobly is a stupid martinet. What he should have done is called Crozier (and probably some others) and gotten the story from his viewpoint. If he decided to fire him, he should have done so and released a brief written statement. You don't EVER EVER fire a manager and them go out of your way to badmouth the guy you fired to his former subordinates.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Modly apologized for his actions, saying that he lacked situational awareness and......

That's a really bureaucratic way of saying he went full retard...

Last edited by RufusG; 04/07/20. Reason: spellin
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Modly apologized for his actions, saying that he lacked situational awareness and......

That's a really bureaucratic way of say he went full retard...

Not sure exactly where situational awareness sits on the list of essential skills for a military leader, but it’s got to be close to the top if not the top.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 15 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.