Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Isn't the operational preparedness of a carrier at sea considered classified information?

Shouldn't the captain's messages be sent through secured channels?

How do you know it wasn't done that way and was ignored for "convenience". When facts threaten Washington/politics-first Brass, facts get swept under rugs. Maybe this was the catalyst of Crozier's ultimate fate. (??)

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Modly apologized for his actions, saying that he lacked situational awareness and......

That's a really bureaucratic way of say he went full retard...

Not sure exactly where situational awareness sits on the list of essential skills for a military leader, but it’s got to be close to the top if not the top.

IIRC that's where Custer said he went wrong in that draft report he never finished.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Modly apologized for his actions, saying that he lacked situational awareness and......

That's a really bureaucratic way of say he went full retard...

Not sure exactly where situational awareness sits on the list of essential skills for a military leader, but it’s got to be close to the top if not the top.

IIRC that's where Custer said he went wrong in that draft report he never finished.

Now that is really, most sincerely funny 😆

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
The secnav was a turd, he had to go after his profane comments on the captain.

Agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

But the Capt. did have to go, good hearted gesture but a monumentally bad military decision.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What happened to a simple 'relieved of command' without insults? Crazy how the culture has gotten.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Prwlr

But the Capt. did have to go, good hearted gesture but a monumentally bad military decision.

No one I have read has yet stated Crozier sent the memo to media... they sidestep it by saying it should never have been written lest it fall into the wrong hands. Until they make they clear I think it is virtually as likely Modly sent it to the media...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Isn't the operational preparedness of a carrier at sea considered classified information?

Shouldn't the captain's messages be sent through secured channels?

How do you know it wasn't done that way and was ignored for "convenience". When facts threaten Washington/politics-first Brass, facts get swept under rugs. Maybe this was the catalyst of Crozier's ultimate fate. (??)

I think message being sent through unsecured channel was intentional for "leak" to media to occur. It smells of political grand standing to me.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Concur.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Concur.

No argument here or from most here, I would wager.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"Loose Lips Sink Ships Careers"! In this case, both of the people involved got torpedoed! The SECNAV was a real douche canoe- - - - -I doubt if anyone will miss him. It sounds like the captain put his crew's well-being above his own self-interest. I'd be honored to sail with him.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod_Lincoln; 04/07/20.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rem141r
seems like both of those guys exercised some pretty poor judgement.

From what I’ve heard and read, yes they did.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
"Loose Lips Sink Ships Careers"! In this case, both of the people involved got torpedoed! The SECNAV was a real douche canoe- - - - -I doubt if anyone will miss him. It sounds like the captain put his crew's well-being above his own self-interest. I'd be honored to sail with him.
Jerry

Be interesting to know as suggested above if he had first gone up the chain of command and got stonewalled, so he then did what he did.

His crew who were on the scene seem to have been impressed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by las
Maybe more than one lapse in judgement... at least the Captain's is excusable (to me) for protecting his command, if it WAS he who gave his memo to the rag.

No excuse for Modly- that was sheer hubris.

The captains first responsibility is his command and second is to keep his ship combat ready. I can't believe there isn't more talk of being down a carrier in the Pacific with China on the rise. His letter should have been acted on twice.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by las
Maybe more than one lapse in judgement... at least the Captain's is excusable (to me) for protecting his command, if it WAS he who gave his memo to the rag.

No excuse for Modly- that was sheer hubris.

The captains first responsibility is his command and second is to keep his ship combat ready. I can't believe there isn't more talk of being down a carrier in the Pacific with China on the rise. His letter should have been acted on twice.

This, with bells on it. Get that flat rop operational. All else is horse manure.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pretty thoughtful post on the matter by someone with solid credentials.

https://warontherocks.com/2020/04/the-navys-crisis-of-special-trust-and-confidence/

There's a lot we don't know I suspect.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It was a tough day in the squadron today. The SECNAV stuff was all over AFN, and his boy flies F-16s here. He seemed a bit distracted.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This whole episode stinks of drama queens at every level. And they said that letting the queers into service wouldn't effect their readiness.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs

https://warontherocks.com/2020/04/the-navys-crisis-of-special-trust-and-confidence/

That's a pretty thorough dismantling of Modly.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Pugs

Many thanks for posting that link. It is a thoughtful analysis indeed.

I’m sympathetic to Captain Crozier, but will withhold judgment until the investigation is complete. As you suggest, there is a lot we don’t know about his prior efforts to solve a serious threat.

As for Modly, in what universe could he believe his remarks to the crew would make things better? That was a textbook example of how not to handle public relations.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Mobly is a stupid martinet. What he should have done is called Crozier (and probably some others) and gotten the story from his viewpoint. If he decided to fire him, he should have done so and released a brief written statement. You don't EVER EVER fire a manager and them go out of your way to badmouth the guy you fired to his former subordinates.

This!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.