Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those were 20 Vmaxes over CFE, like lightning bolts on reds. Scope is a T10 with a Lee dot reticule, great scope but I recently took it off because it has a habit of adjusting itself in the back seat of the truck, or when my 4 year old hunting partner grabs a turret and twists it to hear the clicks.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
25 Hornady HPs will stay in a 200lb pig. wink [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Those were 20 Vmaxes over CFE, like lightning bolts on reds. Scope is a T10 with a Lee dot reticule, great scope but I recently took it off because it has a habit of adjusting itself in the back seat of the truck, or when my 4 year old hunting partner grabs a turret and twists it to hear the clicks.

4 year old hunting partners will do that.

I'm out of the .17 Rem biz but circling to return. My last was an LVSF. I remember shootin' a digger squirrel about 10-15 feet from my jeep with a VMAX, probably 20 grainer, who knows how fast, but scootin' along smartly 'cause reduced loads aren't in my varmint vocabulary. I had time to open the action to eject the empty, lay the gun back on the passenger seat, and take my earmuffs off 'n' set 'em on the seat, so probably 15 seconds or so, and there was a little thump on the hard top. WTF? Climbed up there ... chunk of meat with a rib bone sticking out. I dunno how high it had to go for that sort of hang time, but it was impressive. .17 is <fun>.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by TheKid

4 year old hunting partners will do that.

I'm out of the .17 Rem biz but circling to return. My last was an LVSF. I remember shootin' a digger squirrel about 10-15 feet from my jeep with a VMAX, probably 20 grainer, who knows how fast, but scootin' along smartly 'cause reduced loads aren't in my varmint vocabulary. I had time to open the action to eject the empty, lay the gun back on the passenger seat, and take my earmuffs off 'n' set 'em on the seat, so probably 15 seconds or so, and there was a little thump on the hard top. WTF? Climbed up there ... chunk of meat with a rib bone sticking out. I dunno how high it had to go for that sort of hang time, but it was impressive. .17 is <fun>.

Tom

laugh
Damn! laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
17 Rem fan here but never tried a hornet. 25gr bergers @3900 rarely exit but you still have plenty of energy for coyotes @ 300+. I know you said coyotes are not a concern but who doesn't take a shot at a coyote if given a chance?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I've never had a problem with the HMR on fox, if you hit them right. Low in the chest, or thru the shoulder.....

We have shot at least 20 this year that we lost- they run 10 feet into the brush and it's over. In this case the HMR is apparently not working for us. I wonder if the Winchester magnum version would be enough of a step up?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It’s pretty fast Dennis.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve only used the 17rem but my results on a few coyotes with 20vmax wasn’t very good. Usually had to shoot them again if possible. Never lost any but only out of luck. Even right behind the shoulder shots and they’d run a good ways. Never shot them “on” the shoulder because I knew the bullets were blowing up. I shot 25vmax after that and they seemed to hit with a lot more authority on coyotes. Shot a few bobcats with the 25vmax. Never had one exit even on broadside shots but they were called in and inside 100 yards where the velocity was still up. I bought a box of woodchuck 25bthp to try. They shoot very well but now I’m playing with the 20 practical and haven’t shot them at game yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great pics!! My 17 HH Savage Striker handgun 18" barrel is netting 3650 from 20 v-max with 17.7 gr AA1680, 2" gps. at 200. haven't shot any pd's with it yet but that's its purpose--walking PD'r. Oughtta be perfect for that app.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I've never had a problem with the HMR on fox, if you hit them right. Low in the chest, or thru the shoulder.....

We have shot at least 20 this year that we lost- they run 10 feet into the brush and it's over. In this case the HMR is apparently not working for us. I wonder if the Winchester magnum version would be enough of a step up?

Exactly my experience with the 17hmr. I used it on 2 reds, except I wasn’t able to recover one of them.....not botched shots either. Broadside and frontal.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In .17 Rem max loads with 25 grain rem's will stay in a groundhog's head. You won't have any runoff's on fox. Haven't shot any coyotes but would expect good results. I think the 25 grain Hornady bullet is a bit tougher, should be better for coyotes.

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
17 gr vmax's at 2550 outta the HMR rarely exit either..... some hummerized fur.

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Huntsman, where's the Wolves?
some beautiful skins there! those large whites are what I need for a project!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a 17 Fireball, but sold it as I am building a 17Rem on a Kimber 84M Montana. Come on Lilja, get that barrel made and shipped!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Benbo
I shot 25vmax after that and they seemed to hit with a lot more authority on coyotes. Shot a few bobcats with the 25vmax. Never had one exit even on broadside shots but they were called in and inside 100 yards where the velocity was still up.

Good to know...Im thinking about going to 25 Vmax for everything....cause my calling is pretty much like yours. We do it at night so almost everything is inside 100 yds. Dont mind if I lose a fox pelt once in awhile, but I dont want to mess up a cat, or a good coyote.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been using a Ruger 77/17 since 2004. Where I use it I’m required to use Non-Tox (the 15.5 gr) exclusively. Fox hunting and whistle pigs is where this rifle shines. It’s taken skunks, raccoons, woodchucks, 13ers, and coyotes. Of all the fox taken over the years I have never had one run off. The same can not be said for coyotes! This past winter I had 4 DRT’s and 4 run off’s. Placement is soooo critical. I had a 165yd shot that dropped right in the tracks, and last week I had an 85yd shot that ran back to the den with a light blood trail.
If I go out exclusively for coyote I will take my .243, but when managing small critters, I love the flexibility if the 17 HMR.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the 17 WSM. Up until last season, that's what we used and never had a run off. More coyotes showing up now, so I'm shooting a 223 with a 50 grain vmax. Shot 5 last season without an exit!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Hey Longshot...where did you hit this coyote? I read if you hit bones they do not pencil through but then others say the 50 Vmaxes are good too. Definitely this brings up alot of dicsussion tho.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by valad
Hey Longshot...where did you hit this coyote? I read if you hit bones they do not pencil through but then others say the 50 Vmaxes are good too. Definitely this brings up alot of dicsussion tho.

Didn't hit a coyote with the .17. I killed a couple in Texas with lung and head shots. No issues at all with the 50 grain Vmax in my .223. Last season, I got 5 fox(not coyotes)with the Vmax. All were chest shots, either head on, or broadside.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
.17 Remington.

There can be only one...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can’t remember ever shooting a fox with my 17 rem but 20 grain vmax at 4300fps usually blew up on the fur going in on coyotes and I often had to hit them again. I switched to 25 vmax and it didn’t do that. Usually bang flopped yoties and the few cats I’ve killed it didn’t exit.

Good luck, Ben.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.