Hop To
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
JB,
I spent last week loading up a bunch of various handgun calibers to feed my assortment. As I do when reloading my mind wanders and I think about stuff. Whether I am loading rifle or handgun, and especially if for a cartridge I've not loaded before, or its been awhile, I grab my " Pet Loads" by Mr Waters as a refresher and guide. I know some of the data is "out-dated", with powders and bullets no longer available. Also some of Kens loads are pretty stout, but for me its a good guide to look further and verify thru other sources. If I am loading rifle cartridges, I look to see if I have anything you have written on a particular round, and then various manuals including "Propellant Profiles".
Well, as I said my mind was wandering as I'm loading for these handguns, and I got to thinking, What if any kind of handgun does JB shoot? I've read a lot of your articles, but don't recall any about handguns or handgun cartridges. I do remember a few shotgun articles, but don't recall any about handguns.
So John, do you shoot handguns at all? Any favorite guns or cartridges? I'm curious.

Last edited by nick; 04/07/20.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
He did one some years ago on the 41 Mag. I sent him some heavy cast bullets used in his load development.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, JB doesn't to my knowledge and readings do much in the handgun department. I bet he has few however.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I have a few--and my wife does too. Wrote about them some, but not for a while now. There's just too much demand for rifle (and occasional shotgun) articles. We have some, among them these:

.22 Long Rifle Colt Frontier Scout early production duo-tone, inherited from my father. I was standing beside him at age 5 when he bought it at The Powder Horn in Bozeman, Montana.

.22 Long Rifle Colt Woodsman, also early production. This one's Eileen's--she just fell in love with it one day, can't remember where.

.22 Long Rifle/.22 Magnum Ruger Single-Six, the one with the 9-1/2" barrel. This one's also Eileen's, but know she bought it at Whittaker Guns in Kentucky when we visited a few years ago.

.30 Nagant Russian revolver, with issue holster. Meant to do an article on handloading this one, but the project kept getting shoved to the back burner--and now probably never will do it.

.32 ACP Beretta Tomcat--another of the handguns Eileenfell in love with, but dunno if she's ever fired it! I used it for an article on handloading the .32 a while ago, among other things working up a practice load with slightly resized 00 buckshot.

9mm Parabellum Springfield XD-M. One of my carry guns.

.357 Magnum S&W Model 66. Perhaps my favorite carry gun, both in "civilization" and the field, with Crimson Trace grips. Only thing I've killed with it, however, is a coyote one of my hunting partners wounded, which stopped in front of me.

.357 Maximum T/C Contender handgun, 14" custom barrel. This is a new one of Eileen's, which she'll use for hunting deer in the archery/shotgun, muzzleloader/handgun Wildlife Management Area near town. Do have an assignment for a handloading article on it.

.40 S&W H&K USP Compact. Another of Eileen's, which she sometimes carries during fishing season in bear country.

.45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk Bisley, 7-1/2" barrel. The custom Gaboon ebony grips were a gift from a friend. Very accurate (once killed a prairie dog at 97 yards offhand with it, which was pretty lucky) and my primary hunting handgun. Have only used it on meat deer, but might be what I choose if I ever draw a local moose tag. There are quite a few in the Wildlife Management area, where Eileen drew her second Montana moose tag a decade or so ago, taking a cow with a slug gun. I hope to Bisley a Bullwinkle, but have never been very lucky in drawing special tags--unlike Eileen.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ed,

Thanks again for the .41 bullets! They worked well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks John, I figured ya had to have a few. I didn't think you were a .475 Wildley guy.
I have a super 14 Contender in 357 Max and have taken a few whitetails with it. Great cartridge and I cannot believe the penetration.
My aim was off on a buck and hit the shoulder instead of just behind it, broke both shoulders and bullet not found.
I use Hornady 180gr Interlock with 21-22 of 296, if I may be so bold to suggest you look at that combo.
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the suggestion!

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by EdM
He did one some years ago on the 41 Mag. I sent him some heavy cast bullets used in his load development.

The .41 Mag is a great cartridge. Too bad it never caught on like the .357 Mag and the .44 Mag did. A S&W 57 or 657 with a 6" barrel is just about perfection in a wheel gun.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I put a 6” Model 57 (no dash, for you purists) in his hands a couple years ago, and he was pretty clever with it. Rang steel out to about 100 yards. He knows his way around a handgun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 47 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.