(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by rem141r
seems like both of those guys exercised some pretty poor judgement.
From what I’ve heard and read, yes they did.
Short and sweet right there.

Of course any decent Captain would do his best to take care of his crew, and it seems impossible to believe that the Navy upstairs would not have responded quickly and properly to such a problem on a big carrier in foreign waters. If the Navy is operating as it should (and has) it is a relatively simple thing for the Captain to send up the line a concise report of the situation/needs and get action. These people supposedly are highly trained and super-qualified to do this stuff.

Instead, a long-winded hairy "letter" gets written and sent up and also deliberately made available outside the chain of command. It gave the appearance of grandstanding beyond getting the necessary things done. No excuses for that.

And, absolutely none for the behavior of the Secretary

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

That guy is working so hard at grinding an axe I don't see that he made any relevant points.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Captain Crozier need to go, an enlisted man or junior officer would have been lead off the ship in hand cuffs. The ship is now sitting helplessly in dock and the South China Sea is unguarded and the whole world knows it!. Captain Crozier's commanding officers state room was less than 100 feet away and he went around him! He was in this case "stupid".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if any of these women like men?

[Linked Image from creativedestructionmedia.com]

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
After reading Doyle's review and commentary on the manner I have pretty strong suspicions that it went down like this:

Crozier was presented with a situation that without question threatened his ship.

Crozier would certainly have discussed it in person with the admiral on board because you do not make it past O-3 if you blindside your superiors.

The normal operational and readiness reports typically sent over secret level encrypted media would have contained his concerns.

Crozier would have discussed that with the admiral, and requested clarification.

It seems very obvious that Modly made a political decision that Trump may be embarrassed by the open knowledge that all of that military hardware was incapacitated by a virus Trump was down playing.

That decision cascaded into inaction when the disease refused to be cowed by Modly.

Crozier took the only route available to him knowing full well that it would cost him his command and his career.

Modly took personal offense at Crozier taking action, and put on his stupid hat and flew to Guam for a little personal retribution.

My view of this is that Crozier got backed into a corner. If he failed to act to correct Modly's bad decision his command and career was doomed anyway. Modly failed to grasp that his position as SecNav is not to be a functional part of CoC, but rather a safeguard against military ambition against the country. Because of that he inserted himself and the office of SecNav politically into something that was far beyond his comprehension. Like I said earlier, I have seen one O-5 and one O-6 removed for cause and it did not take SecNav to do it, nor did it require SecNav approval. If Crozier needed removal the admiral on board was fully capable of doing so and assuming command of the ship himself, He knew this and certainly had to make a decision to pass on removing Crozier. This was if anything, an example of that civilian safeguard position of SecNav inserting itself into the almost exclusive province of military CoC.

That Crozier failed to manage the politics of the situation well is perhaps reason enough for him to be passed over in a couple years when it's his turn for consideration to flag rank. Not though for removal from command. What Modly did cannot be undone that I can see. Nor can I see much way for Crozier to ever return to any command. THAT is the tragedy of this. You do not get to be command on a carrier and not be a very valuable commodity for the navy, and that is something that Modly should have thought long and hard about before he took action.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Time Line:

Link

Apparently events started way before they did here and the chain of command was involved from get-go. And the letter that was supposed to have been leaked, if leaked it was by someone other than the Captain. It stating that the letter was sent to only naval personnel.

Phil

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Wonder if any of these women like men?

[Linked Image from creativedestructionmedia.com]

WTF does that have to do with a Navy Captain, beer virus or aircraft carriers?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MILES58
After reading Doyle's review and commentary on the manner I have pretty strong suspicions that it went down like this:

Crozier was presented with a situation that without question threatened his ship.

Crozier would certainly have discussed it in person with the admiral on board because you do not make it past O-3 if you blindside your superiors.

The normal operational and readiness reports typically sent over secret level encrypted media would have contained his concerns.

Crozier would have discussed that with the admiral, and requested clarification.

It seems very obvious that Modly made a political decision that Trump may be embarrassed by the open knowledge that all of that military hardware was incapacitated by a virus Trump was down playing.

That decision cascaded into inaction when the disease refused to be cowed by Modly.

Crozier took the only route available to him knowing full well that it would cost him his command and his career.

Modly took personal offense at Crozier taking action, and put on his stupid hat and flew to Guam for a little personal retribution.

My view of this is that Crozier got backed into a corner. If he failed to act to correct Modly's bad decision his command and career was doomed anyway. Modly failed to grasp that his position as SecNav is not to be a functional part of CoC, but rather a safeguard against military ambition against the country. Because of that he inserted himself and the office of SecNav politically into something that was far beyond his comprehension. Like I said earlier, I have seen one O-5 and one O-6 removed for cause and it did not take SecNav to do it, nor did it require SecNav approval. If Crozier needed removal the admiral on board was fully capable of doing so and assuming command of the ship himself, He knew this and certainly had to make a decision to pass on removing Crozier. This was if anything, an example of that civilian safeguard position of SecNav inserting itself into the almost exclusive province of military CoC.

That Crozier failed to manage the politics of the situation well is perhaps reason enough for him to be passed over in a couple years when it's his turn for consideration to flag rank. Not though for removal from command. What Modly did cannot be undone that I can see. Nor can I see much way for Crozier to ever return to any command. THAT is the tragedy of this. You do not get to be command on a carrier and not be a very valuable commodity for the navy, and that is something that Modly should have thought long and hard about before he took action.

This is very good look at how this could have gone down. It sounds like you have some experience at that command level. Thanks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by g5m
What happened to a simple 'relieved of command' without insults? Crazy how the culture has gotten.

In the simple command and leadership training I had in the fire service, the biggest takeaway in all this to me was that you praise in public and criticize in private. The captain may well deserve everything he gets but for me, this was very vindictive act by the secretary. That was incredible stupid and would shake my confidence in the chain of command.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Thanks Pugs.

I think Miles 58 has it about right. Admiral says he knew nothing about it until receiving the cc letter? If so. IF SO, then that was indeed a lapse on Crozier's part. But we do not know the politics and personalities involved.

Overall, it appears to me, more and more, that Crozier was sandbagged by someone in COC above him, and the letter was NOT sent to the rag by him. It also appears it WAS sent by him through normally or reasonably secure channels for non-classified communications.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Switch
Captain Crozier need to go, an enlisted man or junior officer would have been lead off the ship in hand cuffs. The ship is now sitting helplessly in dock and the South China Sea is unguarded and the whole world knows it!. Captain Crozier's commanding officers state room was less than 100 feet away and he went around him! He was in this case "stupid".

Brush up on your reading comprehension. If you read anything at all about it other than MSM.

Last edited by las; 04/08/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Career bureaucrats are accustomed to getting away with making incredibly stupid decisions, and not having to suffer the consequences of their stupidity. Trump doesn't play that game!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Switch

If you think that China and Russia do not know the state and position of the 11 carriers in the USN you're a fool, or most likely just ignorant of the ways of the intelligence gathering. Capt Crozier DID inform the CARGRU and the chain up to the SecNav. All that takes is reading comprehension since it's documented in the articles and by the SecNav.

As to your "led off the ship in cuffs". Hyperbola has its uses but this is silly and precedent shows inaccurate.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by g5m
What happened to a simple 'relieved of command' without insults? Crazy how the culture has gotten.

, the biggest takeaway in all this to me was that you praise in public and criticize in private. .

Yes, this is something taught to every military person above the rank of E4 and pounded into their heads, just cannot comprehend how this mess happened. The very worst that should have happened to the Captain should have been a letter of reprimand, and a phone call would have been sufficient.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
seems like both of those guys exercised some pretty poor judgement.

That's where I'm at.

Trump had commented that he was going to "get involved" and "look into it", and that he didn't want to see a man's career destroyed for "having a bad day".

It would be interesting to know if he ended up calling for Modly's resignation.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by las
Thanks Pugs.

I think Miles 58 has it about right. Admiral says he knew nothing about it until receiving the cc letter? If so. IF SO, then that was indeed a lapse on Crozier's part. But we do not know the politics and personalities involved.

Overall, it appears to me, more and more, that Crozier was sandbagged by someone in COC above him, and the letter was NOT sent to the rag by him. It also appears it WAS sent by him through normally or reasonably secure channels for non-classified communications.

Las,

The letter was sent over open email for two reasons. Crozier wanted it released where it might do some good. He did not want to put anyone else's career on the line for releasing official communication or worse yet, classified information. For him to release what amounted to a readiness report was punishable under UCMJ. To release even a report classified as confidential for anyone else was punishable under UCMJ. He wrote a clean email knowing that at least one of the people on the CC list would see to it that it was made public. He did it knowing it would take down some of the people who were letting this happen and that he was not going down alone. That alone will guarantee he never commands more than a desk again. While he did the right thing by his ship, his crew and the country, he also exposed the next two up line in his CoC. Crozier was not "sandbagged. He was in a no win situation and he chose the only honorable course through it. Clearly the Admiral aboard could have prevented this. Clearly SecNav could have prevented this. Clearly SecDOD could have prevented this. Each of those people made their decisions knowing that men would die. Highly trained men in which the country had invested enormous amounts of training and money reaching down into the lower enlisted ranks aboard. I think it is very obvious that he was willing to sacrifice his career and command for a last ditch attempt at not throwing those lives and that investment away.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Fox News reporting 416 of the TR crew test positive with one in ICU.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Both Captain Cozier and Secretary Modly were both out of line. The Captain certainly had the right to question the support he was being given but he didn’t have the right to send those concerns widely over an unsecured email that he knew very well could be leaked. Up the chain in a secure fashion and then execute orders to the best of his ability. He didn’t need to agree with or like his orders but he did need to execute them without undermining the chain of command.
Modly was an unprofessional prick who injected himself loudly where the chain of command should have handled the problem professionally and quietly. Modly’s petty public insults were a disgrace to himself and the Navy and his interference in the CoC were just as disruptive if not more so than Captain Cozier’s actions.
The question I have is how was the professional relationship between Captain Cozier and his direct superior so bad that the Captain felt a widely disseminated letter was the appropriate action ? There was a problem long before this incident.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.