Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
wildthingdfw.wa.gov
Olympic National Park is recruiting skilled volunteers to assist with the lethal removal of non-native mountain goats from the park. Selected volunteers will be required to travel on foot up to 15 miles a day through park wilderness, much of which will be off trail in predominantly steep and extremely challenging terrain.
This program will occur from Sept. 9 - Oct. 17, 2020.
In order to participate, volunteers must apply in groups of 3-6 people, and participate in one of three scheduled removal sessions.
Participants must:
attend one day of training at the beginning of each designated removal session
pass a background check
meet requirements for physical fitness, orienteering, and experience recreating in extensive mountainous wilderness.
Groups may consist of field support personnel and expert marksmen; only those who pass a firearms proficiency test (which will be administered during each training) will be permitted to shoot goats in the park. Each group must have at least one person that passes the firearms proficiency test.
Volunteers must supply all their own required equipment and supplies, including suitable firearms and non-toxic ammunition.
Applications will be accepted until at least April 17. After that date, it will close as soon as 30 qualified groups apply, or on April 24 (whichever comes first).
For the past three years the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has been a partner with Olympic National Park and many other organizations in this effort to return the ecosystem to a natural state. Thank you for considering participation in this important effort to remove nonnative mountain goats from the Olympic National Park.
Please visit nps.gov/olym/getinvolved/mountain-goat-management-removal.htm for more information.

Looks like a free goat hunt to qualified people.

Last edited by lazydrifter; 04/08/20.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are they allowed to shoot the PETA protestors?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Are they allowed to shoot the PETA protestors?

Only the ones actually hugging the goat you're shooting, and it can only be accidental.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I got that e-mail today. I've hiked all over the Olympics, 15 miles a day off trail could be a little rough. I don't think any of my hunting buds would want to do this and even if they did I don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's the limit and can they keep them?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What's the limit and can they keep them?

No limit, its a shoot not a hunt. I don't know if you can keep them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They won't let you keep them. I'm sure you'll just leave them lay. Not my cup of tea. I couldn't pass the physical end of it after the ruptured achilles last fall. I'm sure they will get a lot of volunteers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That is some serious hiking territory and 15 miles a day...........that's going to separate the pro's from the pussies.. Big time.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steep country. I’d love to do it, and can pass the shooting part, but don’t think at my age I can do 15 miles a day in that terrain. Steep.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you look at the areas they are tough and steep country. Best goat numbers are deep in the park.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They did this in Yellowstone Park last year. Govenor got after them before they got a lot of them. He was offering to capture them and relocate them so we could get more hunting licenses for them. Park fought him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No limit, they specifically ask you to shoot everyone you see and yes you can keep all of the meat you want from them. Just have to do some paperwork on what you shot where and bring the biologists some samples

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like a great opportunity for a guide.

Can you ride horses?

[Linked Image from ]
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
15 off trail...mid 30s and am thinking who the hell would want to do that

GOD Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Complete lunacy.

Parks don't even seem to try to remove invasive weeds, but they will remove mountain goats?

When I took my parks course, most all parks systems are committed by law to protect the park against all invasive species. I would consider removing brook trout or mountain goats if they get off their ass and remove the invasive plants. The invasive plants cause way more damage to the parks than mountain goats will. Removing the plants is very costly and a multi-year project, if not multi-decade.

Anymore, it seems parks are administered by complete morons.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you are pissing, these goats will come in and lick up the urine. They are that desperate for salt. These goats have zero fear of people. A number of hikers have been gored by these goats.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's because the NPS no hunting policy makes pets out of them. Look at Yellowstone and the problems they have with tame animals.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm in, but need two other victims.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have no idea why this is necessary but at least they’re doing this completely unnecessary thing this way

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They will be like wild boar in the South, there's no way to get them all. You can only hope to keep numbers down. If they really want to get rid of them, offer a nice sized bounty and open the season year round with no holds barred.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.