Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AB2506
Any handgun carried for use or stored or carried for defence should be ready to shoot by at most manipulating the safety off.

1911, cocked and locked is how it was designed to be used. None of this drawing from holster and racking the slide crap. If you need it, you need it now!

Haven't used striker fired pistols much, grew up on the 1911. God spoke through John Moses Browning and the PERFECT combat handgun was designed .

Very much a DA revolver guy. Carry loaded.

I have some Ruger SA revolvers. I would carry six in them as they are safe with the hammer over a cartridge unlike the Colt SAA.

I would examine one of those small safes like Hornady makes for night time bedside use. Keep guests and kids safe. There are various wall mounts that keep shotguns and rifles safe. They would be loaded, but chamber empty. As my young daughter said at the range when they were trying various shotguns, "There's something very comforting about the sound of a pump shotgun being racked." She emphasized that by racking the pump. She would have been 12-14 at the time. Only downside is that you could give your position away. On the bright side, because of TV cop shows most people know what the sound means and they might be intimidated/scared just by the sound and leave the house. That's a win IMO.

there are three screw ruger's out there that have not been retro'd for the hammer block, so it's still five not six shots.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I know this is one of those endless debates, but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house?

Appreciate all input.

No kids, Glock 19, with weapon light, no holster, ready to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Guys:

I know this is one of those endless debates, but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house?

Appreciate all input.

Deflave, was probably one of the most experienced former members here with a pistol. He was, and literally is, a savant with a handgun.

Not lying...Would have liked to have been able to read his thoughts on your question.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
SA, cocked and locked.
Striker, fully loaded, means one in the pipe.
DA/SA, fully loaded.
SA revolver, all chambers full.
DA/SA revolver, all chambers full.

Nightstand guns are 7.62 REPR/20 round PMags, and AR-15 with 120 round drum, a handgun is there, but would hand it to Wife as she rolls under the bed with cell call to POPO.

Were any house midgets to show up, all interior doors can also be locked from the inside/outside.

WISDOM...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Hi Guys:

Appreciate all input.

Deflave, was probably one of the most experienced former members here with a pistol. He was, and literally is, a savant with a handgun.

Not lying...Would have liked to have been able to read his thoughts on your question.

😎

What are hos bona fides? Just curious..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
On body 1911 carry = Condtion 1 always. Despite prior comments, holstered on body carry, a 1911 in Condition 0 (chambered, hammer back, thumb safety off) is safe with grip safety active. This isn't dumb and cited by LTC Cooper as a carry method.

Nightstand I only use striker fired pistols with chambered round. If a Glock with kydex snap off trigger guard cover. If other chambered in an IWB kydex holster.

Agree that when you need a pistol for SD you need it in the hand loaded and ready to fire, if needed.

Other than that, all pistols in locked Liberty lock boxes loaded. No kids.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't carry 1911s

Glocks and Sig's and revolvers are carried fully loaded. "Night stand gun is as well. Along with the 870P in the closet on the upper shelf.

If I get woken up by a "bump in the night" I don't want to have to fiddle fugg around and try and remember to rack the slide under the fog of sleepiness and concern about said bump. I want to stay quiet and assess the situation to better decide my next move from my bedside

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well the first thing I'd say is, don't carry a 1911.

But if you insist, it should be carried as intended. Mag inserted, round chambered, safety on. The whole purpose of wearing a sidearm is expediency. When you start reducing that expediency you're reducing the effectiveness of the sidearm.

You're never going to find a police department, sheriff's office, or federal agency that advocates carrying any way other than cocked n' locked/hot chamber.

Nightstands should be no different. Kids or otherwise. If access/safety is a concern the gun should be inaccessible to the childrens. But there's no reason to change its condition.

One of the best things a person can do with an EDC firearm is keep it in a holster that is easy on, easy off. Keeping all safeties engaged and the trigger unreachable. More AD's happen from people going in and out of the holster and fugking around with a naked gun than probably any other cause. This is one of the reasons the ALS system really shines for duty rigs and paddle holsters. The gun and holster always stay together.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm not a real handgunner but willing to learn. But it seems to me after 30 years in bear country packing a Smith model 57 in .41 Mag (all I can handle recoil-wise) that a D.A. wheelgun is always in condition 1.
Horseback unscheduled rodeos only allow one hand at the most during these exciting events. Buttons, levers, knobs, gripping devices tend to elevate the drama. Dealing with "stuff" during an adrenaline flood seldom works well for 90% of us. It sure as hell doesn't work for me in pre-dawn light and a fear crazed horse. Six gun for amateurs like me.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Definitely in the minority here,for which Bog Brother gives me no end of grief. (He has carried Condition 1 for 40 years or more. He also put a hole through the floorboards of one of his cars wile going from C1 to C2. Oops.)

Condition of carry depends on two things for me - the gun I am carrying and where I am carrying it.

Most of the time is is condition 3 (empty chamber) with safety off. This makes all my primary carry semis the same, whether they have an exposed hammer or not and whether they are safety up or down to fire. Draw, rack and fire for all of them.

Condition 2 all the time (loaded chamber, hammer down) with my Walther PPK/s and Beretta 950 as both are rather hard to rack, No safety on the Beretta but the safety on the Walther is engaged as it is DA. Neither of these is a primary carry weapon.

We live out in the country and rarely go into Denver. When I go to downtown and will be out of the car (rather than passing through on the Interstate) I tend to load a round and go Condition 2.

Primary home defense weapons are revolvers because my wife can't rack most semis. Full cylinders, all. No kids in the house unless the grandkids are here. Either way, they are too young and short to get to the house guns.

Today will be no exception. Have my Ruger Security 9 on my side, 14 in the mag, empty chamber, safety off, extra mag. We plan to go to a daughter's house in the country, pick up a used refrigerator and deliver it to another daughter to put in their garage. In the process we will skirt Denver on the tollway. After delivery will return home, again skirting Denver on the tollway, with one stop at a gas station. Chances of needing to go to Condition 2 or 1 are about the same as getting struck by lightning during the trip.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Well the first thing I'd say is, don't carry a 1911.

But if you insist, it should be carried as intended. Mag inserted, round chambered, safety on. The whole purpose of wearing a sidearm is expediency. When you start reducing that expediency you're reducing the effectiveness of the sidearm.

You're never going to find a police department, sheriff's office, or federal agency that advocates carrying any way other than cocked n' locked/hot chamber.

Nightstands should be no different. Kids or otherwise. If access/safety is a concern the gun should be inaccessible to the childrens. But there's no reason to change its condition.

One of the best things a person can do with an EDC firearm is keep it in a holster that is easy on, easy off. Keeping all safeties engaged and the trigger unreachable. More AD's happen from people going in and out of the holster and fugking around with a naked gun than probably any other cause. This is one of the reasons the ALS system really shines for duty rigs and paddle holsters. The gun and holster always stay together.

I quit reading your post after the first sentence.

I'll come back and read the rest at cocktail time. Ha!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If a firearm isn't fully loaded then it's just a club and nothing more

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife carries.....Condition #1! wink Reason: When you need it, you may not be afforded the time (very likely) or the ability to “rack the slide”. If you ever “need” it.....you’ll probably wish that you had it, Condition #1 and in hand!
I carry a “plastic pistol”! whistle

We don’t have kids in our home. When we have “rug rats” join us, the handguns are moved to a safe location. This was a “non-issue” with “my” kids....they were taught, almost from birth, what a firearm was, what it could do, and how to use it! I have “zero” faith in other people’s kids!

My wife has a “nightstand” handgun (Condition #1), I have a “beneath the pillow” handgun! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/11/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.