Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It came as an add-on when I bought this Win 10 computer. I hadn't tried it before so this last week I've been trying it out. On 24Hr, I see a bunch of blank spots where there could be ads. It has a built in ad blocker that hasn't let a single one in yet.
When I first opened it, it automatically picked up all my bookmarks and other settings from Chrome. The only thing it doesn't seem to have imported is the recently used passwords.

Wikipedia had this about it:
Brave
Web browser
Description Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. It blocks ads and website trackers, and provides a way for users to send cryptocurrency contributions in the form of Basic Attention Tokens to websites and content creators. Wikipedia

If you're needing a new browser, it's one to look at.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use it for both win10 and IOS.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm a user. Wish my work would let me us it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks,

sounds like an idea for the new computer I'm going to get.......................someday.

Will it work on Win7?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks,

sounds like an idea for the new computer I'm going to get.......................someday.

Will it work on Win7?

Geno

Hi Geno

Yes, it works just fine on Windows 7 Download link

Download it and install it but you don't have to use it as your only browser so it is easy to test -- no commitment needed. :-)

Just import the favorites from your existing browser and give it a try.

Later, you can make it your default browser if you like it.

John

IC B2

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been using it for about three weeks, very satisfied.

Dale

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

did you have any issues setting it up on iOS?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using it for a couple of months. I started using it mostly to cut ties with browsers like Firefox, which tracks my history. Also dumped google and went with Duck duck go as my search engine for the same reason.

I've been very happy with Brave's adblocking here at the fire. The popups and ads used to be enough to make me log off.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I stick with Firefox with the following open source extensions:
uBlock Origin (very good ad blocker)
HTTPS Everywhere (As much encryption as is possible)
Privacy Badger (anti tracking)
NoScript (allows script controls per site, you have to know what you are doing)
duckduckgo

Non of this provides full privacy and NO anonymity. All browsers sooner or later will succumb to the mob no matter what they say. They are businesses.

Despite the video below I still use duckduckgo because it is the best alternative at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wePMUqnBn0

Last edited by OldHat; 06/19/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a difference between keeping your history/cookies and with reporting telemetry. The latter forwards your browsing reports to - somebody - for marketing purposes. Merely recording your history/cookies on your machine is for your convenience and doesn't go anywhere else. Unless you get hacked, of course.

Firefox does not do reporting telemetry.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want to learn how evil Microsoft has become, watch this...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm absolutely done with Microsoft. They will not get another dime. I just put together a replacement running xubuntu for a personal machine. Excellent.

For some people dumping Microsoft is probably not possible. But if at all possible Linux is a far better choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tried Brave Browser and got rid of it because they lie.

https://www.technewsworld.com/story/Brave-Browser-Caught-Redirecting-URLs-for-Cash-86701.html

A browser that has received plaudits for privacy protection has been exposed for redirecting Web searches to make money.

Brave, a browser with some 15 million monthly users, has been redirecting searches for cryptocurrency companies to links that produce revenue for the browser's owners through advertising affiliate programs.

Twitter user Yannick Eckl, aka "cryptonator 1337," on Saturday revealed that when he searched for Binance, a cryptocurrency exchange, he was redirected to an affiliate version of the URL that profited Brave.

The controversy grew when Larry Cermak, director of research at The Block, a research, analysis and news brand in the digital asset space, began digging into Brave's code on GitHub. He uncovered more redirects to another cryptocurrency exchange, Coinbase, and two cryptocurrency wallet sites, Ledger and Trezor.

Brave's autocompletion of a URL to include a referrer link may be a bit dodgy.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/brave-browser-autocompleting-websites-referral-191422067.html

Privacy-focused browser Brave was found to autocomplete several websites and keywords in its address bar with an affiliate code.

Last edited by Swifty52; 06/19/20.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat
I'm absolutely done with Microsoft. They will not get another dime. I just put together a replacement running xubuntu for a personal machine. Excellent.

For some people dumping Microsoft is probably not possible. But if at all possible Linux is a far better choice.

I'm retiring in a few months, I already use linux at home and can't wait to be done with Micro$oft. My job is connecting devices in various office environments and Gates crowd constantly screws us up. I may keep a virtual windows install for odd crap that just has to run on it.
Good riddance I say.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
tag

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Any issues getting it to work on IOS?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My work computer is MS Win10, as is my wife's laptop (drivers for a funky bit of equipment she uses not available in linux).

My personal machine and the kids' machines: all used/off-lease business-class laptops(1) I loaded with Linux Mint using the xfce desktop. Mint is easy-peasy and ready to roll out of the install. Web surfing, office work (libre office), audio-visual & suchlike, all included. Kids have no complaints.

I did have to seek out emacs and install that using the GUI tool.

(1) Lenovo Thinkpad E531. Got four of them for $150.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've found that while Brave is built from Chrome, it's just different enough that some websites won't run with Brave. I had a go-round today with my wife's account on Tracfone's site. I couldn't get anything to work right. Verizon is another one that has some glitches with Brave. I discovered sort of by accident that if I switched to Chrome, everything works great. I wasted a couple hours on that Tracfone one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have been using Brave browser for a while and generally have few issues, that said it does occasionally lock up the computer which forces me to reboot.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this was the first thread I read about the Brave browser. Brave kept crashing on me with Windows 10, so I canned it.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,732
Posts18,457,509
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.