Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
johnn Online Shocked OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J

Thousands of fishery workers, many from outside Alaska, are headed to Bristol Bay. One tiny hospital says its coronavirus plan can’t handle them.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rur...y-hospital-says-it-cant-handle-them-all/[size:20pt][/size]

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They ain't headed there right now from what I hear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Charter fishing is another elephant in the room. It seems if a relatively few non-res bear hunters are a concern, exponentially more sport fishermen from all sorts of hotspots would be even more concerning. Thousands upon thousands of people turning over every 3-5 days in remote communities with limited medical options, what could go wrong? To say nothing of the generally non-res guides coming in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This just might be the year to go and fish the Russian again without the combat gear.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Charter fishing is another elephant in the room. It seems if a relatively few non-res bear hunters are a concern, exponentially more sport fishermen from all sorts of hotspots would be even more concerning. Thousands upon thousands of people turning over every 3-5 days in remote communities with limited medical options, what could go wrong? To say nothing of the generally non-res guides coming in.

Well unless they're planning to hang out in a hotel room for two weeks prior to their trip, per current mandate, I'd say they'll be staying home too.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, unless they lift that part, June etc.. is not looking good. First King season for us since 2012... looks like it might be a wash.

Regardless its gonna do what it does. Political or really needed or not, its pretty much a done deal and we have to deal with it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Well unless they're planning to hang out in a hotel room for two weeks prior to their trip, per current mandate, I'd say they'll be staying home too.

If they extend the mandate, then yes June-Aug are out. I think April 11 they will make an announcement.

Right now we are all planning on running but know that unless things quickly improve that part or all of this season won’t happen. I am sure the state will make up our minds for us and probably just close non-res sport fishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On their best day Kanakanak Hospital would be over whelmed if you showed up with a broken leg.

Nobody goes there, injuries and the like equal a flight to either Anchorage or Seattle.

Many of the processors have their own clinics staffed with registered nurses and stocked with meds.

Most have housing that could be used for medical quarantines IF required with 200+ beds.
In short, the processors could easily be much better suited than local facilities to handle these needs IF required.

On the King Salmon/Naknek side of the bay all they have is a single small clinic. Sometimes they have a doctor some times they don't. The only decent piece of equipment they there have is a X-ray machine that networks so real doctors in Anchorage can read the X-rays more quickly and the processors bought that for them.

They don't need the now dysfunctional RavnAir either, they charter jets from Seattle to fly their large groups in and then transport them to their facilities in their own buses.

Those communities are dependent on the processors, not the other way around.

They have til the first of June before they will need to start staffing up, lot's can change by then..

Bristol Bay Borough working with processors ahead of 2020 salmon fish season amid COVID-19 concerns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talked with some of the bigger players involved with the BB processors today.
They have a expensive but solid plan for getting their staff safely into their facilities this season.

They are hiring up and then testing for CV-19 and then quarantining all 600+ of their staff.
They will be confined to their rooms, meals catered for 14 days and then retested.

After that, they will be transported and loaded on to chartered jets and flown into BB.
They have their own warehouse facility on the King Salmon runway where they can offload these chartered jets.

They also have their own buses for transporting to their processing plant.
Once at their facility, gates will be locked for the season, no one in, no one out.

They are setting up one building at their plant as a quarantine facility in case of CV-19 outbreak within their staff.
Anyone testing positive through out the season will be quarantined onsite and then quickly evacuated back to Seattle via private flight.

They will also have every floater they got sitting in the bay.

Sounded pretty solid to me.....The added expenses involved this season will most likely be noticeable in 2020 Sockeye filet market prices.....

If every processor follows through with similar actions the local bars and restaurants will take a serious hit this summer.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by JeffA
Talked with some of the bigger players involved with the BB processors today.
They have a expensive but solid plan for getting their staff safely into their facilities this season.

They are hiring up and then testing for CV-19 and then quarantining all 600+ of their staff.
They will be confined to their rooms, meals catered for 14 days and then retested.

After that, they will be transported and loaded on to chartered jets and flown into BB.
They have their own warehouse facility on the King Salmon runway where they can offload these chartered jets.

They also have their own buses for transporting to their processing plant.
Once at their facility, gates will be locked for the season, no one in, no one out.

They are setting up one building at their plant as a quarantine facility in case of CV-19 outbreak within their staff.
Anyone testing positive through out the season will be quarantined onsite and then quickly evacuated back to Seattle via private flight.

They will also have every floater they got sitting in the bay.

Sounded pretty solid to me.....The added expenses involved this season will most likely be noticeable in 2020 Sockeye filet market prices.....

If every processor follows through with similar actions the local bars and restaurants will take a serious hit this summer.

Sounds like now, that may not be enough for the Big Chief of Dham.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Mid June is still a long ways off. I am sure that all those opposed to the fishery will be using the virus to try to shut it down.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yeah, we shouldn't strangle fish to eat. It's cruel.

Reminds me - I have to patch a hole in my PU net.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lots of locals oppose fisheries in their backyard. Mainly because they don’t do it or benefit from it. Amazing the attitude shift if they ever score a permit.

Word is though that price will only be .70 for the sockeye. I think it was $1.65 last year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The powers of political persuasion shall prevail......

They will be choking Reds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An outright ban would be great news
For the PEBBLE MINE !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 458Win
For the PEBBLE MINE !

Funny, lol.
Surprised Dynasty hasn't spun the situation into a pro-mine advertisement campaign yet.

So who has the most educated opinion on fisheries biology that could say what the effects might be if there were no harvest and all those salmon were to head up river to spawn?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffA

Originally Posted by 458Win
For the PEBBLE MINE !

Funny, lol.
Surprised Dynasty hasn't spun the situation into a pro-mine advertisement campaign yet.

So who has the most educated opinion on fisheries biology that could say what the effects might be if there were no harvest and all those salmon were to head up river to spawn?

Can you imagine the overescapement? It would seem that it would be a disaster according to board. We can’t have that, better double up on the nets! It will be interesting how the spin gets played if there’s no comm fishing in Bristol Bay, or in Cook Inlet. Should be easy limits this year!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is the hospital at Kanakanak still in operation? OR is that the hospital that they are talking about?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No such thing as overescapement. Maybe too many fish spawning for optimal use of the redd sites, and harvestable margins under utilized - from our perspective. Too much rotting fish can be deleterious to lake oxygen for the fry overwinter also, I understand, reducing the 4 year return, but that only affects fishemen and the economy, not the species over-all.

It really amazes me that those fish escaped extinction all those millenia before commercial fishemen came along to save the various species.

"We can't just let nature run wild!"....Wally Hickel. smile

Which, anymore, is largely true in many cases. Maybe not so much with Alaska's salmon.

Years ago the escapement goal for Kenai reds was, IIRC- 250K. Then there was an "overscapement". When a bumper run came back 4 years later F&G upped it to 500K. Repeat. I think it is now 750K. Maybe a million? I'd have to check- but I only need my 35. smile

Several "overescapements" of over 1M since hasn't hurt species any... my numbers may be off, but you get the idea?

What amuses me is that the Kenai is touted and used as a "world class river".

The one season I worked as a deck hand in BB, the escapement goal there was 10 million.....for the Illimna Lake system, alone....wound up above 11 IIRC.

Red fish in the river is good. Copper and heavy metal sediments not so much.

Last edited by las; 04/10/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Is the hospital at Kanakanak still in operation? OR is that the hospital that they are talking about?

The doors are open.
For some time the primary function has been more of a place to sleep off effects of a week long drunk or a heroin overdose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.