Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am 62, I have seen the round used quite a bit , when I was younger I work for different outfitters as guide here on the west slope..
I don't care for the round, and out of a shorter barrel it doesn't outperform a .280. I like a more compact rifle and a 22" or shorter barrel in a repeater. Just my bias I suppose

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
66 years old ,will take a Rem.700 - 7 Rem. mag to Alaska on a moose hunt because that`s what my friends up there use,i own 6 - 7 Rem. mag rifles,but i like my 257 Weather Mags. for deer,but have in the past killed deer with a 7 Rem. mag , this cartridge 7 mag. worked well always in my home state and out west too.gave my son-in -law a new Ruger #1 - 7 Rem. mag. , my son got a new custom Rem. 700 - 7 mag from his grandfather - my father. >forgot to mention i ordered a Browning BLR S.S. in a 7 mm Rem .mag. i had planned on taking this Browning BLR 7 Rem. Mag. on the moose hunt in Alaska but the wood and finish is so nice i decided for now its just staying in the gun vault,so the Rem. 700 - 7 Rem. mag is going.

Last edited by pete53; 04/09/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Like another poster the 7RM was the first center fire rifle I bought myself, my fourth center fire rifle at 17, at 65 now, so just shy of 50 years with a 7RM.. At times a 7RM was my only rifle. I read all the gun rags and was heavily influenced by Warren Page's writing among many others, so a 7 magnum had some kind of Juju other cartridges didn't. I still like it and use it but hunt mostly deer and hogs now so any of a number of other cartridges usually get the nod. I have shot more game with a 243 but the 7RM is close behind it in numbers.

My father asked me what rifle I thought was the best made at that time and I said the Dakota looks pretty good, I thought it was for him. He surprised me by buying me a Dakata in 7RM this was the same year Pete Grisel left Dakota. I used that rifle as my primary rifle for 25 years or more eventually shooting the barrel out by hunting and minor load work up.

All the 7RM's I have owned were accurate and easy to get to shoot. They would also usually put a wide range of bullets into the same group at a 100 yds.
I frequently use a 280AI and for general use it is about in the same class as the 7RM maybe 95% until you go to bullets heavier than 160's where the 7RM starts to shine.

So does this make the 7RM a geezer cartridge?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I am..77

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I hunted South Texas for years. Had Kleinguenther set me up with a 7 Mag. My wife shot it and you know the story, she loved it. It was one of best rifles I’ve ever owned. As one of my friends would say it shot a hole in a hole.
I’m 74 she is 69. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Does a 280 Remington count?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
57 yo . My second rifle was a well used Browning Safari in 7mm RM. With it and 160grain Nosler Partitions I took my best mule deer as well as a Dall and Grizzly in 1983 (magical year for me in hindsight)! I've strayed a little over the years and played with 6mms, 6.5mms, and a few 30s, but for the last 10-12 years my workhorse/ go to is once again a 7mm RM. This time however it is a "Melvinized" CLR in 7mm RM shooting primarily Berger 168's chasing mostly antelope, muleys, whitetails, and the occasional elk. Recoil even seems less than the old Safari although it could be I just offer a little more "resistance" to that recoil and my head is a little thicker!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
34 and the 7 mag is my go-to if I feel the need for anything larger than a 6mm (6 creed or 243).

Purchased my first 7 mag at age 22.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Y E S. I’m 70 yo.

For the majority of my loading & hunting history I used a 270 W the most.
I was enamoured with the 300 WM and still like & use one.
The 06 is among the top on my list for all around use for all N A game.

However, in the past 5 years the 7 RM has climbed to THE top of that same list.
The reason being the HIGH “speed” ( velocity isn’t PC today ) and the velocity, oops,
old habit, yields FLAT trajectory past 400 yards and decreases hold over & there’s no
need for twisting & dialing... for MY use & needs.

I know that OMV but THIS is my mileage.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I am a fan. 53.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm 54. Never really been a big fan of the 7mm Rem. Mag, but recognized its attributes. My father offered to buy me a new rifle for my high school graduation in 1984 and told me that I couldn't go wrong with either a 30-06 or a 7mm mag. I've always been more Elmer Keith than JOC, so velocity wasn't my deciding factor and I went with the -06. I only acquired a 7mm RM back in 2014 through happenstance. I had a M70 Classic action and needed to put a barrel on it. Redneck happened to have a factory 7mm RM barrel ready and willing, so he screwed it on and I was set. I do think it is definitely a good cartridge, but I haven't shot anything with it since I'd rather carry other rifles and mess around with other cartridges.

By the way, my Dad is 80 years old and he bought a Weatherby Lightweight rifle in 7mm RM back around 2000, his first 7mm RM. He's killed maybe 6 elk, a few deer, and a Mountain goat with it. He loves the rifle and has never said anything bad about the 7mm RM.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Shirley you jest ! whistle

The 280 is the 7 RM’s Little Sister. grin

Not too far behind yet not the equal. ( I know you know )
Your Friend wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm 41,
The 7mmRM was my first big game cartridge, more due to the fact that it was the gun I was offered when I wanted to purchase one (long story there). I did like the cartridge a lot, and all of my BG kills have been with it. Mule deer, whitetails and pronghorns.
I will probably keep hunting with it for a while, thought now I have a few other guns that would be suitable for Texas WT and hogs.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by jwp475

Shirley you jest ! whistle

The 280 is the 7 RM’s Little Sister. grin

Not too far behind yet not the equal. ( I know you know )
Your Friend wink

Jerry

it's the closest thing to a 7 mag that I've ever owned. At least it is the same bullet diameter

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'll be 77 in July. I have a Remington 725 in .280. Great rifle. I've had a 7/08 in Remington varmint, that I sold many years ago (mistake),nothing at all wrong with the 7 mag. I do much more target shooting ,than hunting, so no need for the 7mag.

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I will be 72 in June. I bought my first (and only, so far) 7MM RM in about 1989, within one year either way. A tang safety Ruger 77, it was my primary deer rifle for about ten or 12 years. It still wears the 2 1/2 - 8 Vari-XII it's always had. Around 12 years ago, I took it, and a few other guns, out to Missouri for my son and grandsons.

A few observations/memories: When I first got it, I bought a couple of boxes of Remington factory loads to generate some brass for reloading...150 grain Corelokt IIRC. They didn't shoot worth a hoot. I ended up (inertia) pulling the bullets for the brass. I thought the pulled bullets looked funny. The entire portion of the bullet shank that was outside the case mouth in the loaded rounds was undersized by several thousandths. (For the record, I am a journeyman tool and die maker, and if any of my three Starrett 1" micrometers or my Etalon 1" micrometer tells me something is .279 it is probably within .0001 of that.) I can't imagine that, in a rifle with any throat at all, those bullets hit the lands anywhere near straight. In any case, Nosler Ballistic Tips shot much better, as did SGK's.

When the original X bullets came out I had to try them. I could never get consistent accuracy out of them. I'm convinced that there's a lot Barnes didn't know about machining accurate bullets at that time. I wish I'd had the Zeiss CMM available to me then that I have now. Maybe I can find some of those old X bullets. They did kill deer, however, and they didn't make the gawdawful mess those early ballistic tips did.

I recall one deer I shot with it, one of the heaviest bodied whitetails bucks I ever killed. He stopped in front of me at about twenty yards, full broadside with thick brush obscuring everything I really wanted to shoot at. All I had to shoot at was his head and neck. He was a beautiful, big racked buck and I didn't want to head shoot him. I put the ballistic tip about a third of the way up his neck on his right side and he went straight down, landed upright with his antlers pitched forward into the dirt. When I went around the other side to turn him over and gut him, I saw a bead of blood 2/3 of the way back and 1/2 way up his left shoulder. I used my knife to probe under the skin and pulled out what was left of the ballistic tip. Cleaned up, it weighed 70 grains. It was 140 or 150 to start, I don't remember which. The friend I was hunting with that day took him home and ended up cutting him up. I would like to have followed the bullet path but I didn't and my friend was never much for autopsy.

Well, that's more than you asked for and for that I don't apologize. You had a suspicion, going into this, you'd get most of your responses from geezers and we have a way of making a short story long.

These days I much prefer the relative calm of my 6.5X55 or .223 if I'm hunting deer.

-Chuck

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

This is the OP....

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by comerade
I am 62, I have seen the round used quite a bit , when I was younger I work for different outfitters as guide here on the west slope..
I don't care for the round, and out of a shorter barrel it doesn't outperform a .280. I like a more compact rifle and a 22" or shorter barrel in a repeater. Just my bias I suppose

comme, How is your post relevant ? He did NOT ask who did.NOT like/use one.
S M H

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/09/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
66, been shooting 7 mags since the late 60's, BAR's, Rem 700's, Browning A bolts, and one savage 116.

175g Nosler long range with R#26, Fed 215's is worth building a rifle around, or just shoot a Remington. Family has killed over 300 deer here in the South over the years with the 160g Sierra btsp, with 61g of IMR 4831 with a cci 250.

We put Gentry muzzle breaks on all our 7 Mags. It is unusual to find a bedded, free floated, Rem 700 with a brake that will not shoot with the bullets touching
at 100 yards with many loads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm a fan, bought my first one in 1976 it seemed more exciting and interesting than my .270. it was my favorite for a long while and then I became a rifle looney and own more rifles than I'm able to use. For the past dozen years I've been using mostly 30-06 and .308 win.

I'm a real young 74.

Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.