Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by blairvt
Just one in 250-3000

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

that a factory 99?

It's factory 1930's era with custom wood, checkering, and bluing.

Absolutely gorgeous. But I’d take it hunting for sure.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
BP-B6

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by las
It's a fuggin handle, boys!

I have two with pretty wood.

When they get buggered up, I refinish them.

If course, I don't have much money in them either- they are tool handles, not "works of art".

I won't ever have a rife too pretty to hunt with, cuz I'm to damned cheap! MOA or less is beauty to me, and hang the aesthetics, and I can get that for way less than even a synthetic stock goes for now days. Most times.

YMMV.

That's exactly what my old friend Bob use to tell me; "it's just a handle". Still miss him after 16 years.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's factory 1930's era with custom wood, checkering, and bluing.

Very nicely done!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
jorge
I also only have 2 plastic stocks. I have a bunch of coopers and kimbers and they all get hunted. except for a rare Kimber with a laminate but unfired.

MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I guess if you bought one strictly as an investment maybe

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a gun with a scratch on the barrel.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don’t buy pretty guns. If I did, they would get marked up just like the ones I have now. So I buy stainless/synthetic stuff usually. Usually ends up wearing a coat of paint anyway. I like stuff that can go where I go, when I want to go there, and hit what I point it at when we get there. Pretty doesn't stay pretty in rain, snow, thickets, mud and the like. I like hunting those conditions, so pretty guns hold no appeal. Hunting a pretty gun like I hunt would seem wasteful to me.

Guess I am one of the crop some moan about that see guns as tools rather than items of beauty. I think a lot of folks used to be just like me. I love old Winchesters, and a lot of them lost any finish due to use. Says to me that they didn’t sit around in velvet cases to be admired. They were used. Like tools. For me? Stuff like that Browning HCS is interesting. Wish it had a blind mag, though. Less to go wrong.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pretty gorgeous and it hunts....Two sons have used it for their 1st deer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thing that puzzles me is how some of you fellas mangle nice guns in the field, while a fair number don’t. I do own a S/S rifle that is a foul weather gun but hunt a shoot with a bunch of nice wood and blue guns w/o tearing them up. Back before S/S was invented nice guns got wet. I dried them out and cleaned them.

Not long ago I posted a pic of a Mod 94 Trapper that I’ve hunted with a lot and someone suggested it was unused. Ain’t no p’up that could haul the meat that gun has killed. It’s how I roll.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When I was a teenager I worked in a gun shop. There was a guy who would come in once or twice a year and buy a rifle.

The first thing he would do, once handed the receipt, is take out his keys and put a couple of scratches in the stock. He said, "Now I don't have to worry about scratchin' it up when I'm in the woods! "

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I always buy Deluxe hunting rifles and pay a premium for the select grade woods. But I avoid special engraved types. It’s displeasing enough getting marks on the ones I have. And all my firearms are taken out in the field and more often to the range. Heck, I got the worst dings on my Mannlicher 30-06 when ejected AK47 shells flew over to the next bench banging into my Mannlicher stock. When I finally realized what was going on I was like: jeese this is supposed to happen on a fall in the woods. Either way battle scars- or whatever scars- are inevitable however annoying they are. If you are the type that wants to just look at and admire a firearm,than go get yourself
rifles with purdy furniture. If you are like me and have to shoot the s%#t out of every firearm you own, learn to live with the inevitable dings and scratches, or avoid buying fancy furniture on your rifles.

Last edited by Vinootz; 04/10/20.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I’ve had good luck out in the woods. I can’t say I’ve ever had any noticeable mishaps out there. A ten inch thick tree branch I was sitting on broke once while out hunting.I fell 10 feet flat on my back on a huge flat boulder below. All I could think of was to hold my shotgun level to the ground and extended my arms up so it didn’t go off or break. Not a scratch to me or the rifle- go figure. On the way down broken spine or smashed rifle flashed through my mind.I got up and walked to another spot as if nothing happened.Ironically I’ve had more mishaps and damages to my rifles at the range.

Last edited by Vinootz; 04/10/20. Reason: Typoo
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
Pretty gorgeous and it hunts....Two sons have used it for their 1st deer.

................ Nice beauty there. M70? Cooper? Cartridge??

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

MS9x56 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That gun is gorgeous and performing the function it was designed to do. Good for you. Beauty can be appreciated without locking it away in a safe. Sometimes while on stand I just admire my gun and appreciate it's Grace. Then I use it to fill the freezer.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Beautiful rifles on this site. I prefer to buy used rifles and guns because I don’t have to worry about making the first scratch. I can’t stand to make the first scratch. Also I don’t seem to be able to walk 10 ft or thru a doorway without bumping into the wall or door trim.

I do own one new pistol I bought years ago and have never been able to bring myself to shoot it. It is the worst thing I own because it enot enjoyed. Pretty to look at but there are no memories with it.

Again, beautiful rifles!!!

2 b 1 ask 1 !
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Early Kimber Classic .308, Leupold VX3 2.5-8x Kimber bases Leupold rings
If it was any prettier I wouldn’t want to hunt with it, any uglier I wouldn’t want to own it. When I found it I found the Mountain Rifle of my dreams. The Montana wasn’t out yet and even though I eventually had one I still liked this one more.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm too cheap to buy anything that is too nice to hunt with.

I did, however trade into a Winchester 101 Pidgeon Grade, hunter's set with 20 and 12 gauge barrels. I don't hunt with it because I plan to sell it when the time comes...and don't want it too scratched up. I don't exactly go out of my way to beat my guns up, but crawling through boulder fields for chukar and pushing through cattail patches and willow creek bottoms for pheasants tends to make love scars.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Classic Doubles 12/20 combo that was beautiful. When I moved back to Oregon I traded it back to my Dad because it was too nice to beat up out here in the wet and salty environment. Boy did it shoot nice though!!

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.