Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MS9x56 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a few guns that just speak to me when I use them. They fit like a fine suit of clothes or a well worn pair of jeans. You don't hAve to wonder if you can make the shot you just know you will. I often wonder when I am handling them where they have been or what they have killed. Yes to me some guns do have a soul. Your thoughts and experiences?

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every now and then when I handle an old rifle, I often wonder if this thing could talk? The places its been, the people who owned it, the game that it has taken, etc

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a rifle and a shot gun that are over a 100 years old. I often ask myself the same questions. I bet they have some interesting stories if only they could talk.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
My Winchester 1895SRC speaks to me. Before I got it I'd never once given though to moose hunting or hunting any sort of mountain sheep or goat. But everytime I pick it up (which is often since it's one of my go-to rifles) I think i should get a moose tag or get in shape to climb after a sheep or goat. It's my favorite saddle gun and handling it often reminds me of our adventures together.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think it's just some rifles fit you like a old broke in pair of boots, and not just in size, it's more like they just feel and shoot better for you than your other rifles and it gives you confidence.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jericho
Every now and then when I handle an old rifle, I often wonder if this thing could talk? The places its been, the people who owned it, the game that it has taken, etc

Lord yes they can MS9x56.

And how about 'the people' it's owned Jerico? an old Man, friends with my Gramps, both now deceased, was a rancher out West, he sent me his '94 Winchester 30 WCF that spent over 40 years in his saddle scabbard, the rifle has no bluing or finish left on it, sports pretty good scars on the right side of the action, I have to think from a rockslide or horse wreck.

The rifle wears three notches in the butt stock, I called the old Gent to thank him dearly for the gift, I asked about the notches, he said, "I wont answer that son"............................................how's that for some soul?

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Absolutely.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pre 64 model 94’s have soul

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sure it can. Every time I pick up my grandpa's old big bore 94, I think of him. It has soul:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
I think it's just some rifles fit you like a old broke in pair of boots, and not just in size, it's more like they just feel and shoot better for you than your other rifles and it gives you confidence.

Exactly. If your rifle is talking to you, you should probably be institutionalized. :-)

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know that I'd call it soul, maybe character ? Whatever it is, none of my bolt actions seem to have any but my lever actions do.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
i have frequent conversations with my guns and dog , they have souls without any doubts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I put a little note under the butt plate of some of my rifles with name, address, date and if I hunted with it. I found a note under the butt plate of a Winchester 94 that was made in 1897. I wrote the old gentleman in Massachusetts and got a reply that he had bought the rifle, used, in the 1930's and hunted with it until he got too old. I think he was glad to find out where his old rifle ended up and that it was still being used.

The old Winchester carried some of its history with it when it came my way and some of my rifles do the same thing. After finding the note, I always check to see if some lost history can be reclaimed by a previous owner's note to a future caretaker.

It is the top one in the photo. I'm not sure about soul, but it seems like these days the old 94 Winchester kind of likes hanging out in the gun rack with that sleek little 53 Winchester.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have always wondered those same questions, who all owned this rifle ? pistol ? did they shoot some nice animals with this rifle ? has it been to different countries ? i have a old Nazi Luger pistol brought back from Iwo Jima / World War 2,by my old neighbor Mel S. was a 1st waive medic in the Black Panther squad as his wife told the story ,Mel was in a wheel chair and could not longer speak because of a stroke. i look at this pistol i own now and wonder just what did Mel see ,hear ,what and who did he try to save with poor medical equipment , that must have been hell for all these young soldiers ? yes guns try to talk to us,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by persiandog
i have frequent conversations with my guns and dog , they have souls without any doubts.

Dogs without a doubt, Guns I think more of an aura obtained by the hands of many users.
I have a 1876 Winchester that was used in a murder, then hidden for 80 years in a fireplace. if any gun would have a soul that one might.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Shiloh Sharps rifles have soul and so does my Winchester Model 71

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not by itself. When in the hands of someone who knows it, who has learned where it strikes and what it does when it hits, then it is alive.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't know about a soul, but I have one in particular that I think is a redhead.

Last edited by hackleback; 04/12/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's it like owning a gun you dare not load?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 5thShock
What's it like owning a gun you dare not load?

And that the ammo is never big enough?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.