Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Most angled don’t rotate, so really not funny at all...

The good ones do

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 10at6

The good ones do

I guess I lead a sheltered life as I've never seen one that didn't rotate

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

The good ones do

Perhaps we’re talking about two different things?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Like straight for the ease of switching between binoculars and spotting scope.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Having used both styles a fair bit, I'm a big fan of straight oculars over angled for the reason you stated. It's much more intuitive and quick for me to get on target with a straight spotter.

My thoughts exactly

That makes 3 of us.

I'm in this camp...

With the glassing I do I cannot tell you the times I've had an extra 5 seconds, or even 5 seconds total, to analyze a buck prior to disappearing which has an influence on your whole day.

Same here for me, I've owned and used both a good bit. Angled is nice for certain things, like glassing from the bottom and looking up several thousand feet, but overall I'll take straight all day, every day.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Having used both styles a fair bit, I'm a big fan of straight oculars over angled for the reason you stated. It's much more intuitive and quick for me to get on target with a straight spotter.

My thoughts exactly

That makes 3 of us.

I'm in this camp...

With the glassing I do I cannot tell you the times I've had an extra 5 seconds, or even 5 seconds total, to analyze a buck prior to disappearing which has an influence on your whole day.

Same here for me, I've owned and used both a good bit. Angled is nice for certain things, like glassing from the bottom and looking up several thousand feet, but overall I'll take straight all day, every day.

Yup, agreed. Elevation differentials are really where an angled scope shines, IMO, but otherwise I'll take straight.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

The good ones do

Perhaps we’re talking about two different things?

I'm curious where the disconnect is here. I dont recall seeing a quality angled spotting scope that didn't rotate.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have both angled and straight spotters and I take straight if I am caribou hunting or moose hunting but angled for sheep and goats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Like straight

You don't like anything that's straight.

Don't BS me.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quit sexting me.

Your hormone therapy is working but not interested.

IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I read somewhere to install a sturdy cable tie around your ocular, orient the tag end so that it's inline with the plane of the scope's angle, and trim the end so that it's the right length to act as a front sight. Sight across the top of the eyepiece through the tip of the zip tie to line up on targets.

Angled for me, in a landslide. My scope's mount collar rotates around the scope body, allowing correction for uneven ground or flat viewing at a bench.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Quit sexting me.

Your hormone therapy is working but not interested.

Too late.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Straight for me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have several of both, because I find both handy for various purposes. But apparently many people are just as wedded to angled or straight as they are to 8x binoculars versus 10x binoculars, or to 7mm vs. .30.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have both and have used both. No doubt comfort goes to angled, but if it is serious, straight is the only option for me. Many times I have been there when those with angled spotters could not find the critter, period. Speed in finding critters goes to the straight by a lot.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You often do not have the time and speed is crucial to find an animal, I am used to straight.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Straight for me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have both and have used both. No doubt comfort goes to angled, but if it is serious, straight is the only option for me. Many times I have been there when those with angled spotters could not find the critter, period. Speed in finding critters goes to the straight by a lot.

There is definately a learning curve to find game quickly with an angled spotter. I dedicated myself to learning and now have zero trouble finding game with mya angled

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the areas I hunt I like the straight because there are more times that I am looking either straight across a canyon or looking at a steep down angle. A couple years ago I was watching some elk about 1500' below me and a guy came along and pulled his angled spotter out and I have never seen anybody contort themselves to try and get lined up on those elk. I ask him if he would like to look through my spotter but he was bound and determined he was going to use his angled just to show me that his angled was better than my straight. As for pickup use I much prefer a straight. But as mentioned above it is whatever you bring to the dance is what works for you. This conversation is probably one of the most hotly debated topics on the internet, not only on the hunting forums but the birders also.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

There is definately a learning curve to find game quickly with an angled spotter. I dedicated myself to learning and now have zero trouble finding game with mya angled

So people who use straight scopes suffer from a learning curve or lack of dedication in learning to be proficient? Copy that...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.