Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Getting ready for Montana Spring Bear season. Have seen two nice bears so far in my area I intend to hunt. But nothing over the top yet.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Opens here in Idaho as well...I’ll be out on the 15th looking for a big one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Opens here in Idaho as well...I’ll be out on the 15th looking for a big one.

Good Luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May in Wyoming

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Heard yesterday they closed a commercial hunting here in MT. So no competing with the paid spotters of the world. Wondering if there will be increased traffic due to everybody being off. Local outfitter said it’s costing him 80k.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by shootAI
Heard yesterday they closed a commercial hunting here in MT. So no competing with the paid spotters of the world.

Paid Spotters?

?????

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/09/20.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We can begin baiting on 4/15 but it'll take another month to be rid of this snow. A bugger of a winter and its still here.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bastids got it on corona hold here until at least May 9th. Opened May 1st and I burned 4 points to draw.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
MontanaCreekHunter: Best of luck to you!
The Spring Bear area a Hunting partner and I found several years ago is still pretty "snowy" - supposed to get to 61 degrees here today though. It may thaw out soon?
I will have the area to myself as last year my Hunting partner sold all his guns, his house, his vehicles - everything, and moved to Thailand!
It is my understanding that outdoor recreation (including hiking, fishing and Hunting!) are allowed to happen as long as not violating the "social distancing"!
Am I correct for here in Montana as per your understanding?
Again good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just got an email. Spring bear and turkey hunting suspended for non residents. Luckily they’re being nice enough to refund my license fees. Hopefully things open up in the fall and I can make the trip after I get done my Maine hunt. Good luck to you Montana residents. Leave a few in the woods for us travelers.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
MontanaCreekHunter: Best of luck to you!
The Spring Bear area a Hunting partner and I found several years ago is still pretty "snowy" - supposed to get to 61 degrees here today though. It may thaw out soon?
I will have the area to myself as last year my Hunting partner sold all his guns, his house, his vehicles - everything, and moved to Thailand!
It is my understanding that outdoor recreation (including hiking, fishing and Hunting!) are allowed to happen as long as not violating the "social distancing"!
Am I correct for here in Montana as per your understanding?
Again good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

As far as I have heard hunting and fishing is fine. Lots of guys on the Bitterroot this week. Water went up about a foot today!

I was out today scouting. Saw the same two bears again. Both are respectable but I am hoping to find better. I am all in with my bow this year. See if I can get the spot and stalk done with the bow this year. Going to be tough to better the bear I got with a rifle last year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by geedubya
Heard yesterday they closed a commercial hunting here in MT. So no competing with the paid spotters of the world.

Paid Spotters?

?????

GWB

I think he is referring to guided hunters.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes commercial hunting or guided hunts. Local outfitter send out a dozen guys to spot bears and then they call the hunter and he comes to shoot. Seems one of their trucks is in about every drainage. Frustrating the amount of ground they tie up and don’t necessary have a shooter with them until they find something promising. So yes I referred to them as paid spotters as that’s what they are doing when them don’t have a client with them. I am not anti guide and posess a guide license but as a local I enjoy not being overrun with the pay to hunt folks this year. Will be crowded enough with everybody bored and stir crazy locally

Last edited by shootAI; 04/10/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes commercial hunting or guided hunts. Local outfitter send out a dozen guys to spot bears and then they call the hunter and he comes to shoot. Seems one of their trucks is in about every drainage. Frustrating the amount of ground they tie up and don’t necessary have a shooter with them until they find something promising. So yes I referred to them as paid spotters as that’s what they are doing when them don’t have a client with them. I am not anti guide and posess a guide license but as a local I enjoy not being overrun with the pay to hunt folks this year. Will be crowded enough with everybody bored and stir crazy locally

I was not criticizing you. But the road hunters are out either way. Plenty of in state guys that just drive the roads. There is more then enough real estate to hunt away from the roads. But most guys aren't willing to work for a Bear. The spot I am planning to hunt this year is a 5 mile hike in.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The biggest boars often are not out of the den until well after opening day.
Around the 10th of May is when the bear hunting really gets good in Montana...April is for turkeys....but good luck with those early bears anyways..

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wow, I’ve never been bear hunting. Good luck!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I was not criticizing you. But the road hunters are out either way. Plenty of in state guys that just drive the roads. There is more then enough real estate to hunt away from the roads. But most guys aren't willing to work for a Bear. The spot I am planning to hunt this year is a 5 mile hike in.

They got people spotting bears and then call in the " hunter".

Wtf????

At least the # of bears not shot by the out of staters will lead to age progression for next year.

Thats always a good thing.

Last edited by renegade50; 04/11/20.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hoping the nonresident licenses go back for sale by May. I’ll go to my cabin and quarantine for the 14 days very happily. I never see anyone up there so I’m sure the virus threat is real ( sarcasm)

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

They got people spotting bears and then call in the " hunter".

Wtf????

At least the # of bears not shot by the out of staters will lead to age progression for next year.

Thats always a good thing.

No shortage of mature bears here in MT.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.