Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Due to a recent question about Spiegel 99's and having a lot of spare time.... I dug out some rear blocks I had that fit the hole pattern on the Spiegels, I also found a very hard to read list of applications & spec's for Lyman scope blocks that another member posted a while ago. I read one of the front blocks as ET but based on a post in another thread listing a BT I looked closer and that is correct, that puts it in the correct alphabetical order in the full list. I made a short list of the blocks listed for the 99's, front & rear all list 'Special Taper' -
[Linked Image]
(*** this is a newer copy, the original had a block 'LL' listed, looking closer it was for a Savage 19, not a 99)

The rear blocks listed are 'R', 'V', 'W' & 'Y'. Looking at some blocks I have, 3 tall - 2 unmarked and one a 'Y', 2 shorter blocks - 1 a 'V' and a slightly short one an 'R', it's listed as being taller than the 'V', but it is the shortest of three. They also list a 'W' which I do not have, it lists a height between the 'Y' & 'V'.

There are only two front blocks listed for the 99's, BT and T, one grooved & one flat top. Both list 'special taper' and they are the only front blocks in the complete list to have that. All the years I've been looking for scope blocks I have yet to find a tapered front mount. With all these blocks listed by Lyman I think they had to be selling to more than just Spiegel, I seen no reason to have so many, or to even list any, if they were for just one end user, but they might have thought by offered them they might 'take off' to become a big money maker.....

[Linked Image]

None of the blocks are contoured lengthwise and all are over contoured in the width
so they contact the receiver only at 4 small points & leave gaps.
[Linked Image]

Examples of pointed and cupped attaching screws -
[Linked Image]

The full Lyman list -
[Linked Image]

I have a picture comparing the hole pattern for these mounts to those for a King-Pike mount here - 24hourcampfire.com//14773377

added - did this as an afterthought -
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 04/12/20.

Gene
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting. Thanks Gene.

Bruce
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tag for reference, THANKS (again) Gene!
...did someone say Gene should have his own "sticky" page?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a barrel band with the spiegal holes that I put the old weaver on with redfield rings. Still need to make screws for the bases that will hold the ring from sliding. Seems like two rear bases were listed and one was way off from plane. The second was a perfect match with a straight edge front to rear. Will do some more digging and see if I can come up with the numbers.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12713359#Post12713359

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Here is the old thread, I think the w was the one not correct for the front I have anyway. Still have the w arround here somewhere.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12561822/1

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The topic of early scopes and mounting systems just keeps getting thicker and thicker.
So, Lyman, Marlin, Mossberg and probably others offered scope systems for Savage rifles among others.
I suppose worst case, each scope manufacturer had their own blocks, mounts & scopes. And best installed by the respective manufacturer.
Best case, some blocks, mounts & scopes were compatible with each other to some degree. But which ones?
I am sympathizing with grogel deluxe that these pattern(s) we refer to as "Spiegel holes" are not and should not be referred to as Speigel holes though I think we know what is meant by the term.
They could be Lyman holes, Marlin holes, Mossberg holes ect. But they are definitely NOT a bologna sandwich! smile
This is a chapter in a book once figgered out...

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctw
Here is the old thread, I think the w was the one not correct for the front I have anyway. Still have the w arround here somewhere.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12561822/1

I knew these had been discussed before but I forgot about that thread. It looks like your using a Y rear, since there are only two front blocks listed in the chart with both listed as the same height but one being grooved, I wonder what the other height rear mounts are for, the barrel contours that close to the receiver can't vary as much as the height of the rear blocks. I know having the blocks on the same plain isn't critical with externally adjusted scopes and some had the front block taller.

Gene

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.