Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikieb
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Have you tried 2nd wind pudelpointers out of Custer, WI? I have no personal experience, just heard good things.

Yes, I did contact him, He is planning a litter for this fall.. I got on the list and I will check back in with him in August and October again to make sure I stay on the list.... it seems these freaking Pudelpointers are a scarce commodity... a lot of litters have buyers booked 12 months out.

Goodness Longarm... that is one good looking brown Labrador.... I currently have a black one at 14 y/o sleeping on the floor under the kitchen table... waiting for bacon fat to be poured over his morning cereal...
In talking with multiple breeders when I as in the market for a pup, it seemed like then there were only about 1500 PPs being born per year. Lots of dedicated PP owners and more folks learning about the breed drives up demand. I'm a fan

GB1

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My worst offenders for getting stuck/sprayed have been my setters. They hold the individual and group records for both issues. The one never attacked a skunk but he was sprayed 4 times in one fall as he could not stay away from them. My current oldest setter has been stuck 4 times by porkies, and I doubt he is done even though he is 15 years old.

I would have never guess setters would be a problem.... of all the breeds... I would figure Griffs and GSP would be the worst...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I figure the setters are more of a problem than my Continental breeds due to them running bigger. This allows them the opportunity to run across these critters more. My setters often seem to be pretty sharp on vermin, I figure they learned it from the wirehairs. My oldest setter was a holy terror on raccoons his first several years until he broke a leg and lost a step or two.

He could still hold his own in a fight, my last wirehair went into a rage and attacked the setter. Despite a 20+ pound advantage, the setter put the wirehair on the ground and my wife thought the wirehair was a goner. It was 42 staples to patch a skin tear in the setter and 34 for the wirehair but the wirehair was the worse off. One more similar fight a couple years later and the wirehair was history.

The Pointer was another one...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A Frence Brittany would fit your requirements very well.

As to a specific breeder or finding and selecting one. I would personally never limit myself to a geographical location! I would be looking for known bloodlines from known breeders. These breeders all have waits, for a few reasons. One is they are known to be responsible breeders with great bloodlines. Two they have put out great dogs over time. Three they have built a following from discriminating hunters. Four they are not mass breeding. Sometimes you can get a pup from them that for whatever reason someone backed out on or that the pups maybe didn't fit the sex or color the deposits were looking for.

Good luck in your search

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't overlook GSP's either.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Partagas

Would be another great fit for sure. Provided it isn't a long legged GSP.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/09/20.

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Ya, no kidding.... I'm 56 y/o.... a long legged GSP would be a rodeo....

I need a dog that can sit on the front seat of the truck that is small enough that he won't get nose snot marks all over the inside of the windshield.... So I got to keep the size down.... Springer, Pudlepointer size dog....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I need a dog that can sit on the front seat of the truck that is small enough that he won't get nose snot marks all over the inside of the windshield.... So I got to keep the size down.... Springer, Pudlepointer size dog....

Long legged means the dog runs big or ranges far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My puddle pointer is 60# and not short. I don't mind the size, but he seems bigger than what I would think a Springer would be.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

French Brit, English Cocker, Springer...all fit nicely on the front seat.... However, the facts are....if he/she is going to be riding in the front seat..which is about the least safe place for a Dog one cares about....then there is going to be hair everywhere.... nose snot on the side windows, dash, center console and seats. Seat covers are almost mandatory in this situation.....then there is mud....and since most good Bird Dogs like to roll in anything smelly there are other issues.

Looks cool to be riding around with your Dog in the front.....however the best place for all is the back seat at minimum....and a kennel is best....Mud River is your friend for traveling with hunting Dogs....

Last edited by battue; 04/12/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

169 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,523
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.