Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
North of Lake of the Woods. Canada Air already cancelled flight to Winnipeg. Any chance this trip might still happen?

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It’s gonna be close. My first guests show up May 31.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
My buddies and I have already cancelled our early May trip. First time in about 35 years. We’re all getting older, one fella has bad COPD so he’s already scared schitless.

We hope to make a walleye trip to one buddy’s cottage mid-June.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm wondering when making a trip will be legal as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Our first guests are due to arrive May 29...Every day things are looking better, but we still just dont know.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm wondering when making a trip will be legal as well.

Richard, I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but here is my $0.02.

Seems Canada, has flattened the "Covid curve" & are on the decrease.

USA is still heading the wrong way.

I can't see us, opening our borders to US citizens, or even people traveling through the US & risking another spike !

Sorry.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to tell what restrictions may be imposed on Iowa residents since their governor refuses to impose restrictions on the residents. The governor seems to think she knows more than the scientists. I guess she is not alone since I understand 4 other governors share her stance. Seems to me there is no reason for Canadians to encourage visits from any of the 5 states since they do not want to cooperate in trying to stop the progression of the virus.

Jim

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It may come down to a showdown between each country's leaders. Trudeau just a few minutes ago said it will be "many weeks" until they are ready to open back up. I have not been to a hunt or fishing camp in Canada that was owned or employed big Trudeau fans. Thus, while summer fishing trips are extreme social distancing relative to normal life in Vancouver or Quebec, he won't be motivated to help the rural types of tourism.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6826929/coronavirus-trudeau-economy-and-canada-u-s-border/

My trip has us crossing the border on 6/5. This is year 47 consecutive and we are already talking about a fall option if necessary. However, that removes the school-aged kids from the trip and that would be a huge loss.

It's more than just the trigger pull.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When Trudeau speaks ‘many weeks’ might not be a measurement in time.
It might take a phone call from Trump—he conquered the country once before doing that.
I just watched Trump on TV—looks like Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota gonna be open for buisness as soon as tomorrow. California and Washington State not long after. Lots of talk about protocols and phases but if we don’t get a big spike in death rates the lockdown gonna fall apart pretty fast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Quarantine Act has been invoked. This means even Canadians coming home must be able to present a 14 day self isolation plan. This is a legal document . I don't see this being changed any time soon. This was pushed through a reluctant federal government by popular demand. It has huge support. I would guess +85% . Sorry.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Downwind—thank you—I did not know that. I do know lots of local people who don’t want any Americans coming here.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just finished reading the Quarantine Act—it was amended on March the 17 but it doesn’t seem there is a time frame so I guess it would take an ‘Order in Council’ to close it. What a Draconian piece of Legislation.
Only thing worse would be Emergencies Act.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
The Quarantine Act has been invoked. This means even Canadians coming home must be able to present a 14 day self isolation plan. This is a legal document . I don't see this being changed any time soon. This was pushed through a reluctant federal government by popular demand. It has huge support. I would guess +85% . Sorry.

It might be a legal document, but nobody is following it; here or in northern BC. Every day here there are more and more people out and about. Wont be long and the dam will break and that will be that.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Local newspaper made a big deal outta a house party in Sioux Lookout—somebody got a $750 fine for too many people in a residence.
-12 here this morning still pretty much winter but when weather gets a little nicer I can guess what’s gonna happen.
My buddy from Wisconsin says he’s been checked twice by the OPP to make sure he hasn’t been out and about—thing about that is I text with him even in Summer because his place is so hard to get to.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any person entering Ontario now has an automatic 14 day quarantine stay. Sorry to say, but it does look like your trip will be cancelled if it hasn't already. Outfitter not contacted you Blair?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm finding the closing of the border annoying, I live only 27 blocks off the border and use to get things shipped to the border town on the other side. One of the places was called Ship Happens, chuckle. The same things were cheaper in the States. Shipping cost were about half with no brokerage fees. UPS has horrendous brokerage fees.

At Vancouver International airport, They had plane loads of recued returnees, only 14 were forced to be put up in a hotel. What really raised the ire were the snowbirds returning, they had been politely asked to go directly home and self isolate . Instead they were stopping at grocery stores and shopping. When word got out that was a np-no, they hiding the motorhomes behind the stores. The Quarantine Act followed quickly. The Aussies early in the game brought in their own Quarantine Act, in fact placing them on an island and look at their very low rates.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
USA & Canada just announced another 30 days of border restrictions, & the 14 day self isolation to still apply !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hey Paul—I was in the bush for a couple of days —gotta guy here trying to finish off his beaver quota—so I didn’t see this announcement until this morning. Evidently the Quarantine Act has an expiry date and had to be extended. As stated it was extended another 30 days. As I read it the border would open up on May 19 unless it is extended further—which is entirely possible depending on what happens with the Kung Flu. That would put the opening on Monday of Victoria Day weekend. Except for a few Rainbow fishermen along the North Shore we don’t see many tourists until Memorial Day anyway.
I honestly don’t know what is gonna happen in the next 30 days—on the medical front it ain’t bad here locally so it could get worse—it could get better also. One thing for sure on the economic front it is only going to get worse the longer this lockdown goes on.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rooney
Any person entering Ontario now has an automatic 14 day quarantine stay. Sorry to say, but it does look like your trip will be cancelled if it hasn't already. Outfitter not contacted you Blair?

nothing recent. Guess I need to make a call

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have extended the border closing for another 30 days. In Canada, the borders are a federal jurisdiction . The provinces ,like states, handle health, so lock downs and social distancing are provincial orders.

Most of the provincial leaders have been forthright, they have been saying months, by that they mean lockdown . Our big local fair, the PNE, is a no go, it's at the end of August.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.