Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Reba
Originally Posted by Boise
Prefer Jarbidge Nevada over Silver City. I believe it is more remote and more fun to visit.

Is the road into Jarbridge paved all the way from Elko?

Been to Silver City.

Not even close, dirt soon as you leave the Hwy
It is a much better road than to Idaho City

Man, its been a long time (~1970) since I've been up that road (Elko-Jarbidge) - looking at the map, the first 55 miles (NV 225) are paved, but the last 49 (a side road off of NV 225) are indeed unpaved.

Last edited by Blackbat242; 04/12/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jarbidge is about 90 miles from here. The last part is gravel but I can't remember how many miles it is. I haven't been down there in a long time.

Funny story about Jarbidge - years ago I worked for an LTL trucking co. in Twin Falls. UPS had just opened a terminal in town a few days before. 2 of our drivers were in a coffee shop for their afternoon break when a new UPS driver came up to them and asked how to get to Jarbidge. He had to make a 180 mile round trip to deliver 1 package. Their federal rights said that if they serviced an area, they had to service all of it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Blackbat242
Prefer Jarbidge Nevada over Silver City. I believe it is more remote and more fun to visit.

Been to Silver City.

Man, its been a long time (~1970) since I've been up that road (Elko-Jarbidge) - looking at the map, the first 55 miles (NV 225) are paved, but the last 49 (a side road off of NV 225) are indeed unpaved.

More than worth it, Continue thru Jarbidge and take the the Humbolt Wilderness access, the Spring flower bloom alone is worth the trip.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Persian dog: Well thats on "the list".
Thanks
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by Blackbat242

Been to Silver City.

More than worth it, Continue thru Jarbidge and take the the Humbolt Wilderness access, the Spring flower bloom alone is worth the trip.

And if you REALLY want to make it a fun trip to Jarbidge take the road down to the Bruneau River near the Jarbidge River confluence and check out the hot springs and old homesteads. You'll need 4 wheel drive with decent ground clearance. The old bridge has been recently replaced.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Interesting to give the cemetery a look. Entire families often perished in a three or four month interval.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Interesting to give the cemetery a look. Entire families often perished in a three or four month interval.
Usually cholera but sometimes typhoid fever. They were often caused by drinking river water. Dysentery got some of them, too, also caused by the river water and it's bugs. Those 3 bugs killed more people on the Oregon Trail than all other causes combined.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jarbidge is about 90 miles from here. The last part is gravel but I can't remember how many miles it is. I haven't been down there in a long time.

Not sure of the milage from Rogerson to the end of the pavement, it turns to gravel right before you drop into the canyon down to Murphys' Hot Springs, IIRC it's close to 15 miles from there to Jarbidge.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.