Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Give me an excuse to buy a bolt rifle and in what caliber.

SLD - I don't know this guy personally. We've never met. We've never talked on the phone. I know he HAS a rep fot hunting and ELK hunting. 50 yrs. Experience, okay?
There are those who claim elk experience but are lacking...great on paper tho.

[quote=WyoCoyoteHunter]But if you want a new rifle, my first pick would be a .300mag.. second would be a 7mm RM..

I am a Remington fan, but all of mine are older models I have worked over the Tikka sounds great for a new rifle.. You can talk hold over, turrets, range finders all day,

but when the shot comes especially if you are diy it may be late and quick.. You may have to estimate the range yourself. A forgotten art with today's hunters..If it is late and the shot must be made,

I want something that shoots as flat as possible.. My .300 WM with 165 gr. handloads shoots flat enough to hold on the top of the back and make a chest hit.

If those calibers are not your cup of tea, the check out a .270 or .30/06 bolt rifle.. That .35 would be awesome in a timber area with some open parks, but parks can be difficult to guesstimate the range.. You can measure before time, but when the shot comes you may only have minutes to estimate, get a solid rest , and shoot..

You will want to hit that elk hard enough he won't run 200 yards just at dusk.. When I really hunted elk seriously, many of my shots came as the sun was setting or just after.. That doesn't give one much time to make the shot, get to the animal and get it dress and set for the night..

Something to remember the flatter shooting rifles kill just as well or better at close ranges.. Hagel pointed out you can kill and elk or deer at 100 yards dead with a .45-70, a 270- .300 will do that plus make a long shot easy..

I have tried the .338's.. They hit hard, but to gain over a 7 or .300 you must get a 250 gr. then the traj. becomes a problem again.. I hunt elk every year and have for 50 years.. Cover varies a great deal.. Colo. s elk hunting may all be close shots in timber.. I gave that up years ago.. I am fortunate to live in country that has elk from the prairies to the high mountains.. Best of luck!!

That is as "they say" in the news or wx, 'breaking it down' for you.

Good Advice.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, there are those types of elk hunters you mention. Being from Iowa I didn’t get into elk until my thirties and then went about every third year or so until just recently.

So I’ve gone on maybe 25-28 hunts and have taken about thirteen, most all bulls, and a cow. This included in three states multiple times. While I’m no expert, I have some experience.

I’ve hunted with the 284 Win, 7mm RM, 30/06, 300 WM, 300 Wby, the 338, the 340 Wby, and the 45 Colt. I spent a lot of times working through these cartridges and ended up taking the majority of my bulls with the 340. I’ve seen an almost equal number taken by other hunters and buddies, and other guns.

So I know something of what an elk takes, an especially a bit about the magnums as I spent more time with them. It’s one reason I don’t recommend a 338 to a new elk hunter not knowing a lot about him — the 300’s (all), the 338, 340 are for serious shooters who are committed to learn them; even that doesn’t guarantee they will shoot them well. They can be very unpleasant and a disappointment.

My last bull was taken with the 284 Win because it’s proven to me I could kill the appropriate opportunity to 400 yards.

S
SLDUCK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Cant sell the 740. It was my dad's. He hunted northern minn with it

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

I understand that, good for you for keeping it. My brother has my fathers Rem 742 30-06 that he keeps for the same reason.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Man, you are sitting on a pile of workable elk rifles. Maybe spend money on a better scope if needed, or good binoculars. Or ammo, and trips to the range. Or whatever items you need to get into the best shape of your adult life. Any of your rifles will do, if you will. Spend the money making sure you will. Just my opinion, you can and should spend your money as you see fit.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It’s hard to recommend something based on so few details, but of your choices I would the 7mm Rem Mag, a good scope and mounts; find which factory loads with a good bullet it likes, and shoot all summer.

Go to as many different gun shops you can and heft different factory rifles fo find something that feels good to you.

That said, assuming your rifles have average accuracy, you already have a couple of “elk rifles.”

^^^This^^^

And if your gonna go with a 7 Rem Mag, use a 150 or 160 gr Nosler Partition. Thank me later. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
[quote=bsa1917hunter]Go big or go home. The 338wm was made for elk killing.
I'd look for an older Winchester model 70 with CRF.

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^ Winner, Winner....Chicken Dinner! bsa1917 nailed it in both cartridge and firearm! memtb

Well of course I did. I've hunted elk for many years and that is my number 1 pick. Second choice is a 30-06 that shoots 200gr Nosler partitions well...I could have said any of his rifles will work, but I didn't think that was what the OP was wanting to hear. Who knows, maybe he was going to show his wife this thread and say see dear, these guys think I need a new rifle..... grin

Hey, its nice to get a new rifle. I can't go a month without having to buy a new rifle, so I know what that is all about!!!!

Again, this is my pick:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
What's a thread and suggestion without a few pics?

Make sure that it shoots good and is dialed in and there's no excuses when you miss.....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I see so many guys bragging about how good their rifles shoot and its way off 6 inches to the left or right and it's only a 3 shot group. You want to hit near and far, make sure it shoots good and is dialed in... Nuff said...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.35 Whelen with a 225 gr TBBC or Partition.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have a chance to hunt Colorado with a friends Brother. I don't really have a western elk rifle. I have a Rem 7600 35 Whelen, Winchester 100 308, Rem 740 30-06, CZ 550 mannlicher in 6.5x55. Only other bolt gun is a Rugger 77 in 250 Savage. Oh I forgot about the Marlin 1895 444 Marlin. Give me an excuse to buy a bolt rifle and in what caliber.

You don’t need a magnum to kill elk, you just need one bullet placed properly. Less recoil helps with that.

If you want something different than what you have I’d get a lightweight stainless/synthetic 270 of some sort. It will be far more preferable to carry on a mountain than a typical magnum and will kill elk just as dead... and maybe “deader” since it will be more fun to shoot.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good Lord....

I've never killed an elk with over 55 grains or so powder per shot or a bullet over .284"....

It simply isn't needed. Elk have giant lungs and a heart. Perforate them and the elk dies.

Don't make it harder than it is.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
How would you know how a bigger gun works.. Hit in the vitals, the elk will die.. How soon is the question.. More destruction faster death..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lots of caliber thoughts here. all of them will work given a good bullet + proper placement.

if you are going to buy a new rifle cause you can afford it and want to..... I'd highly recommend a rifle with a naked weight under 6#.

Kimber Montana
Savage LWH
Tikka Superlight

are all good considerations meeting those specs.

I hunt with a blued/wood Savage LWH in .308, Talley rings, Redfield Revolution 4x12-40, using 165gr Nosler AB's and can recommend that specific combo. Worked on a 5x6 in 2016 at 19 yards and a ~300# black bear in 2019 at 220 yards. Both lungshot, and died within 50 yards of contact. I like that setup so much I bought a duplicate of it in stainless for my sons birthday.

My rifle weighs right at 7# fully loaded with scope + sling and are exceedingly pleasant to carry all day for 5 straight days. I cant say that for my "normal" rifles.

another convenience of "regular" calibers is magazine capacity. My Savage will hold 4 rounds of 308 in the magazine. Most magnums top out at 3 rounds, and some, just two. =/ I'm happy to not have needed that 2nd+ round yet on an elk hunt, but that magazine seems like a great place to have them! smile

have a great trip, and the best advice I've read above is that "get in shape" recommendation, especially in SW Co. Some units (and some areas in those units) are far steeper than others.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
all great cartridges mentioned but if you wanted a new bigger bolt rifle 7mm Rem.Mag. it is a great choice,get a good scope & mounts put a bi-pod on the rifle and learn how to use it,shoot 140 gr. bullet,you will do just fine. 30-06 is also a good choice.good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not an elk hunter. But back when I was a kid, the idea was to have an all around rifle that would cover all of North America. Just in case. And I was under the impression that anywhere you'd find elk you'd also find grizzlies. The thought was to carry a rifle that would take care of large bears. So for my first centerfire rifle I bought a Remington 700 BDL 30-06, which is often thought of as the minimum for big bears, and probably still a good choice for elk.

Now it appears that the big bears are not supposed to be south of Wyoming. The parameters now have a different outlook for the southern half of Colorado and New Mexico, so I might be inclined to choose a lighter weight rifle in the slightly flatter shooting and lower recoiling 270 for carrying in rugged country. But I don't think the Big 7 is a terrible choice if you don't mind the extra barrel length and weight, and enjoy the feeling that your shooting a more powerful rifle when you touch it off.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk rifle/cartridge threads are always a hoot.

You know it’s serious when the target pics start showing up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Elk rifle/cartridge threads are always a hoot.

You know it’s serious when the target pics start showing up.

Word.

I have my coffee. I have my entertainment for the morning.

I now have happy ending. I LOVE happy ending.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

yep i got my dad`s Rem.740/280 too ,he also hunted Northern Minnesota " Togo " ,the rifle is gun vault retired.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brother in law bought a Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 a few years ago, loads Partitions for it, forget what weight, 165s or 180s. Bedded in a McMillan, Leupold VX-2 2-7 or 3-9 I forget which, It is his do all rifle. Elk, deer, antelope, coyote. One rifle, one load. So boring...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
bsa1917hunter, I ran your post past my wife, and she agreed with your choice.....hence the “attaboy”! She recognizes a good elk rifle/cartridge! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, you could get by with something you already have.

If buying new, don’t see much reason to go above a 300WSM or 300 Win Mag. Of course, personal preference is a biggie.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 60 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.