J
Sent some.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Go Fieldcraft in Kreedmire and never look back. Hint.

I'd not let Redneck rebarrel a glass of water,with a fresh straw. Hint.

LW's puke too easily. Hint.

That Reupold,would be amongst my last choices and I'd have to lose a VERY substantial bet,to suffer same. Hint.

Pressure,is pressure. Hint.

Proof would be amongst the last pieces of fhuqking schit I'd suffer. Hint.

"Heat dissipation" and "stiffer" are fhuqking Wives Tales. Hint.

Stock ergo's are subjective. The Sako/Remington/Winny Varmint stock is a nice pattern,but a schit choice there. Hint.

Shaen savvies rifles and knows WTF. Hint.

In fairness however...I've never been to Alaska,or seen a Winchester. Hint.

LAUGHING!......................

LMAO... You should do 'stand-up', Twig - you might actually make a living...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Go Fieldcraft in Kreedmire and never look back. Hint.

I'd not let Redneck rebarrel a glass of water,with a fresh straw. Hint.

LW's puke too easily. Hint.

That Reupold,would be amongst my last choices and I'd have to lose a VERY substantial bet,to suffer same. Hint.

Pressure,is pressure. Hint.

Proof would be amongst the last pieces of fhuqking schit I'd suffer. Hint.

"Heat dissipation" and "stiffer" are fhuqking Wives Tales. Hint.

Stock ergo's are subjective. The Sako/Remington/Winny Varmint stock is a nice pattern,but a schit choice there. Hint.

Shaen savvies rifles and knows WTF. Hint.

In fairness however...I've never been to Alaska,or seen a Winchester. Hint.

LAUGHING!......................

LMAO... You should do 'stand-up', Twig - you might actually make a living...

Between you and me I think somebody should shove a Kreedmore barrel up his ass so far He could use it for a straw

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would take a hard look at a 20” CTR. Not quite 6.5 lbs bare though.

Their factory stocks feel and work great, for me anyway, and I doubt you’ll outshoot one by much even with a custom barrel.

Seekins Havak sounds close as well, for considerably more than the CTR.

Seems to be very similar to what you’re wanting your Winchester to become. Just a thought, nothing wrong with building though

I’ve went from 2 piece bottom metal to blind mag on Winchesters before, no big deal, just need a trigger guard and mag box, both of mine came from Numrich.

Unless you need to go below 2lbs, I would skip the Timney.

Lots of really good 6.5s out there now, that’s very close to what yyou are describing. Worth a look anyway, especially if you’re not sure exactly what you want. I’ve been down that road several times and have lost a ton of money in the end.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weren't my intent,to horn up a coupla hacks. There's been enough of your SCHIT "work" in circulation. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking RETARD. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If you are gonna go DBM,then assuredly opt AICS footprint and skirt Teeker's proprietary fhuqking attempt(s). Hint.

Glen makes some good stuff,that's for sure. Hint.

The Fieldcraft connects ALL dots and then some,all within a vastly Superior parcel. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Holston
I would take a hard look at a 20” CTR. Not quite 6.5 lbs bare though.

Seekins Havak sounds close as well, for considerably more than the CTR.

Lots of really good 6.5s out there now, that’s very close to what yyou are describing. Worth a look anyway, especially if you’re not sure exactly what you want. I’ve been down that road several times and have lost a ton of money in the end.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Those do look like fine options. However, I am very set on using a winchester 70 as my action. It's what I'm used to and what I like, I prefer CRF, and I specifically want to do a build at this time rather than buying factory. CTR is an option for a fun gun later down the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure you want, what you think you want.

It took me, as well as a few guys I know 3-4 builds before figuring it out.

Good luck!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Holston
Nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure you want, what you think you want.

It took me, as well as a few guys I know 3-4 builds before figuring it out.

Good luck!

Ultimately, I don't know what I don't know, and If I end up with additional rifles at the end of this process...I can't say I'll be too depressed. smile

Last edited by 907brass; 04/13/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not really a CRF Guy,as I've seen/had more feed/function issues with it,than I have PF...despite PF being a 20:1 representative in the larder. Once things are fixed,they tend to stay fixed,so it's no big deal. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If bent on building,at least opt a blueprint worth a fhuqk. Hint.

I'd rather throw a new spout on a Montucky,remove .050" of the SALAMI throat and connect dots,if forced to build a Kreedmire,over any/all thangs Winny. Though in fairness,the Fieldcraft is yet mechanically superior. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Weren't my intent,to horn up a coupla hacks. There's been enough of your SCHIT "work" in circulation. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Just imagine, Twiggy, that IF you actually knew 5% of what you THINK you know, you MIGHT come close to 1/10 of the brains of AOC... Wow. Hint...

Try reading a book some time. Start with the comics - and work up from there... Hint..

Poor Twiggy... He didn't like my story.. 'Twas the truth though - but unfortunately the man who's rifle it was has been dead now for about a decade... His hunting buds found him in his tree stand when he failed to come outta the woods... I went to his funeral... And I still think of him from time to time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Redwhine,

I needn't Imagine anything,as I simply get to shoot it all and then some,while you "get" to read about it...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm as at ease in sandbagging,as you are in talking out your ass and Whining about your very WELL founded and countless Insecurities. Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery and I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you feel compelled to try,as even someone as fhuqking Stupid as you...KNOWS that being you,sure in the fhuqk ain't nearly enough. Hint. LAUGHING!

"Tell" me more about rifles,you Magnificently CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying so hard.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I built a similar rifle to what you’re thinking a couple years ago. You’ll need the blind mag trigger guard, the magazine spring retainer (I’ve only been able to find them for long actions but they can be cut down) and you’ll also need to grind down your magazine box to fit. Here’s a link to the build thread and a couple photos of the parts you’ll need:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13217057/lightweight-hunter-build

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jkob

Between you and me I think somebody should shove a Kreedmore barrel up his ass so far He could use it for a straw.
Trouble is, Jim, somebody would have to mark the spot - because he's ALL ass.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Forget the blind mag, go with PT&G aluminum bottom metal and have it cerakoted. The concept of removing the spacer in the mag box for more room sounds good but I've tried it in a short action Win M70 and never could get it to feed right, I'd leave it alone if doing it again. The factory mag box will allow 2.860" which isn't as much as I'd like but should be workable. The factory M70 trigger properly tuned by a good smith is better than an aftermarket trigger, no way I'd change out a new haven trigger. Someone mentioned a Hunter's Edge mcmillan for weight savings, that won't work with the proof sendero lite contour, there's not enough meat there to inlet for it. M70's, even the short action, are fairly heavy actions. 6.5 lbs. bare is going to be tough.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very easy to get to feed right with the right follower. If you remove the spacer you need to use a full length follower or as you noted it wont feed worth a damn.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Redwhine,

Your Man Lust Fantasies,exceeds your "abilities"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What next?!? Botched chamber? Throat clearance? Freebore? Bad barrel? "Luckily" you've bombed all,on a single project. Hint.

Jeezus Fhuqk,you CLUELESS Hacks are fhuqking worthless. Hint.

Laughing!.............

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 907brass
Hello all,

I have a New Haven classic stainless in .243 that I intend to use as a donor action to have a 6.5CM built. This will be the first gun I will not have in factory configuration besides a chassis gun and AR builds.

Barrel:
I know I want a 20inch Proof sendero lite barrel. I want it this short because I'm hiking through heavy brush and want it to be more handy through that stuff, and I reload so I think I can make up for some of the lost velocity. I like the carbon wrap because of better heat dissipation if I want to shoot it at the range, and that they are stiffer than steel. Plus it looks super cool, and I don't mind that added expense.

Stock:
I like the Mcmillan winchester varmit stock in edge fill. I like the stock because it has a shorter forend and I think that would look and balance better with the shorter tube, plus it has a more vertical grip and a palm swell. Similar to the Manners EH4, which I also like, but I don't think they inlet for winchester 70s anymore.

I want to keep this rifle weight minded. I know it won't be ultra-lightweight, but I am aiming for 6.5 lbs (lighter if possible) bare rifle. I'm plan to put my vx-5hd 2-10 on there with Talley lightweight rings to top it off.

My questions:

Have any of you converted a standard model 70 to a blind magazine? If so, how do you do that? What parts would I need? I am considering this for weight savings (minimal, but it counts) and it'll be a little bit more sealed up for the super crappy weather I hunt in.

If a blind magazine is not possible, or if you believe it is a terrible idea, do you have suggestions for lightweight bottom metal? The original gun has the 2-piece bottom metal, but I will be changing over to 1-piece if I go the bottom metal route.

Has anyone used a timney model 70 trigger? Is it worth the money over an adjusted new-haven trigger?

Do any of you have recommendations for a gunsmith who can put this rifle together for me and do a great job?

Do you know something else I don't know? Are there considerations that I am missing? A way you could save some more weight that I haven't thought of? I would like thoughts and opinions from you all.

Thank you in advance.

In my opinion for a hunting rifle the stock Model 70 trigger can't be improved on. I adjusted mine according to some instructions I read in a magazine 35 years ago and I haven't touched it since. It breaks like glass at about 2 pounds and makes my rifle a pleasure to shoot, other than the recoil on a bench. Damn Model 70 post 63 with that fancy light Monte carlo stock kicks the Chit out of me.

Last edited by Filaman; 04/17/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not do what you are proposing.

If you are going to replace the trigger, start with a different rifle.

You can easily sell the current rifle and buy a rifle that is already set up for your vision. No sense in taking the hard way.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
I would not do what you are proposing.

If you are going to replace the trigger, start with a different rifle.

You can easily sell the current rifle and buy a rifle that is already set up for your vision. No sense in taking the hard way.

Not replacing the trigger. Was only asking if some folks had a comparison between the timney and the stock trigger.
I'm also not aware of any rifle I can go out and buy that checks all my boxes. If you know what I'm missing, tell me. I do enjoy the hard way sometimes; I learn a lot more that way.
*and before we go there again: big stick, I know about the fieldcraft. It's not what I want right now. If I buy one in the future you'll be the first to know*

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want to load longer, use the WSM magazine, follower and bolt stop.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.