-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We use a hitch-mounted corn spreader and corn the roads in strategic places. Never failed to attract hogs. Although, you might see the occasional hog or 2 during the day and at sunset, they're generally nocturnal. It's a helluva lotta' fun unloading a 1911 clip into a sounder of 20+ hogs. I don't really hunt for hogs, I just blast 'em where I sees 'em... I should probably get a .308 AR.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/13/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pigs and turkeys can smell corn. Heared tell corn marinated in diesel fuel and grape Koop Aid is a sure fired bait for piggys. This from a friend in LA that hunts on 8000 acres with a bunch of black hogs.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used corn placed in a hole made by a post hole digger. It works and makes them work for it. They are very nocturnal once hunted. If you can get at a good comfortable vantage point with a good rifle rest downwind of the corn you're in business. Also you might want to put up a few of those solar driveway marking lights so you can easily notice in the dark when they show up. You will see the light disappear as the hog passes in front of it. Elusive Wildlife makes a pretty good inexpensive motion detector hunting light but some hogs are skittish of it. Wish I was willing to spend the money for good night vision or thermal equipment but probably not happening.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I have heard this several times over the years. I don't know if it's bunk or what.

It said if you dig a post hole about 3 feet deep then take a piece of scedual 20 4 inch pvc 6 inches above the ground and put some rods across the bottom so it's hard to pull out. Then if you fill it with cracked corn and pour a couple beers on it. Then fill a woman's hose with the same thing and hang it up high you will draw in any hogs in the area. They say only two things will dig that pipe out is a bear or a hog. The hog will root around it and bite off chunks of the pvc to get to the corn. That will leave a pit where the pipe was.

True or bullshit, been told that at least a dozen times over the years.

I made the mistake of digging a 3’ post hole and filling it with corn and koolaide powder. I killed a couple hogs off of it that weekend, but then left our farm. I got a call about 3 months later in the middle of the summer from my dad. We had a little 20hp Hinomoto tractor and he almost tipped it over in the hole. It was covered up by the Bermuda grass and completely hidden. The only thing that kept the tractor from rolling all the way over was the brush hog on the back. If you do it, don’t put it anywhere you may want to travel later.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A round pen is the best way to catch a bunch at one time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/14/20.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I have heard this several times over the years. I don't know if it's bunk or what.

It said if you dig a post hole about 3 feet deep then take a piece of scedual 20 4 inch pvc 6 inches above the ground and put some rods across the bottom so it's hard to pull out. Then if you fill it with cracked corn and pour a couple beers on it. Then fill a woman's hose with the same thing and hang it up high you will draw in any hogs in the area. They say only two things will dig that pipe out is a bear or a hog. The hog will root around it and bite off chunks of the pvc to get to the corn. That will leave a pit where the pipe was.

True or bullshit, been told that at least a dozen times over the years.

I made the mistake of digging a 3’ post hole and filling it with corn and koolaide powder. I killed a couple hogs off of it that weekend, but then left our farm. I got a call about 3 months later in the middle of the summer from my dad. We had a little 20hp Hinomoto tractor and he almost tipped it over in the hole. It was covered up by the Bermuda grass and completely hidden. The only thing that kept the tractor from rolling all the way over was the brush hog on the back. If you do it, don’t put it anywhere you may want to travel later.

Valid point.

They will dig down to China..

If you hunt someone else's land, I would secure permission before making a deep bait hole.

Frankly, I don't see much reason for it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/19zunN0.jpg[/i

CORN WORKS FOR ME RIO7

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Posting these fo Jaguartx. Nice hog, can’t believe the hail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how many days do you rest between workouts

Thanks, hanco. Put my little buddy on his first hog. The hail storm just missed us. 6 inches of hail. Unreal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s fun to kill pigs! Granddaughter likes it!

Last edited by hanco; 04/14/20.
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A round pen is the best way to catch a bunch at one time.

Wow! The pen really works, but you must be about overrun with pigs. Do you have people who will take some of the meat, or use it for coyote bait, or......? Part of me wishes we had pigs around here like that so I could get some of that action. Most of me acknowledges that we are way better off without.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Coyote and buzzard bait

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Coyote and buzzard bait

Coyotes and buzzards have to eat, too......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just simply throwing corn on the ground flat out won't work.

Just ask these guys... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
These desert hogs didn't know what corn was when I first started working them about a year ago. They'd walk right past a pile of corn, even if I sprinkled Hog Wild, Jello, or Kool-aid on it. Diesel didn't work either, maybe because we're in the Permian Basin and they smell oil and other fuels all the time.
They didn't pay attention until I made sour mash with corn, yeast, and Tropical Punch flavored Sno-cone syrup. Had to deal with the Javelinas for a while, but after I got that sorted out the hogs took over and it works pretty well.

We just let them lay as Coyote bait. After seeing the diseases that they carry here, I'm really careful about the way I handle them. Cooking well will kill any diseases they carry, so they can be eaten.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You can dig five foot hole with post hole digger, fill full of corn. It will look like a bomb crater, but how are you gonna fill it in?

Better to get a piece of 6” pipe, drill line of holes so corn will escape as they root it around. Glue cap and an eye on one end, glue a female adapter on the other with a CO plug. Drive a piece of rebar in the ground, use a four foot piece of chain to attach to pipe and rebar stake. They will have a big time rooting it around. You won’t make a train wreck that way. I’ve built several, works well.

I've used these and they work.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We sometimes dig post holes with a tractor and fill with corn and cheap fruity soda. Pigs love that stuff. Throwing out corn on the ground works just fine too. Like others say, put up a camera and see what's coming and when.

My dad introduced one of his friend's sons to pig hunting on our place this past weekend. I believe he's 13 or so. He'd not shot one before, and he got two with his .243win. Made good shots and recovered his pigs, but it was worth noting that the 100gr CoreLokts did not exit either pig. He was hunting a box stand where we'd been throwing out corn every few days. Young man was pretty pumped.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JPro
We sometimes dig post holes with a tractor and fill with corn and cheap fruity soda. Pigs love that stuff. Throwing out corn on the ground works just fine too. Like others say, put up a camera and see what's coming and when.

My dad introduced one of his friend's sons to pig hunting on our place this past weekend. I believe he's 13 or so. He'd not shot one before, and he got two with his .243win. Made good shots and recovered his pigs, but it was worth noting that the 100gr CoreLokts did not exit either pig. He was hunting a box stand where we'd been throwing out corn every few days. Young man was pretty pumped.

It’s cool to see that excitement. My granddaughter would sit in my lap to shoot when she was young. I could feel her shaking. I would put both hands on the window of stand so she could rest her elbows on my arms. She was a great shot from the get go. I still get excited, can feel the adrenaline flow through me. That’s what makes it fun. It really does when I bow hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is always something to watch when the kiddos get the shakes and their hearts start racing. All part of the fun!

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
These desert hogs didn't know what corn was when I first started working them about a year ago. They'd walk right past a pile of corn, even if I sprinkled Hog Wild, Jello, or Kool-aid on it. Diesel didn't work either, maybe because we're in the Permian Basin and they smell oil and other fuels all the time.
They didn't pay attention until I made sour mash with corn, yeast, and Tropical Punch flavored Sno-cone syrup. Had to deal with the Javelinas for a while, but after I got that sorted out the hogs took over and it works pretty well.

We just let them lay as Coyote bait. After seeing the diseases that they carry here, I'm really careful about the way I handle them. Cooking well will kill any diseases they carry, so they can be eaten.

Ed

Are you sure you are hunting hogs?

Sounds like something that ought to be on that show "Moonshiners". grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,561
Posts18,453,703
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.